*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Do any particular Transit Custom models have great ground cl

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Do any particular Transit Custom models have great ground cl

Postby K0608 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 am

Good morning!
I'm looking to replace my VW T5, and am strongly swaying towards a Transit Custom. I occasionally have to take my vehicle up rough forestry tracks, and can't help but notice that many of the Transit Custom's that I see on the roads seem to have less ground clearance than my T5. However, I'm sure that I saw a Transit Custom the other day that seemed to have as much clearance as my T5, therefore, I was wondering whether any version of the Transit Custom has more ground clearance than any other.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks.
K0608

Re: Do any particular Transit Custom models have great groun

Postby Nederbelg » Thu May 17, 2018 4:08 pm

There are no Customs whith as much ground clearance as the T5!
The rear axle configuration is to blaim. Apart from that, the Custom has Wiring and Tubing (breaks / Fuel) fitted in the most awkward of places; they are highly at risk whenn you leave the paved road.

The only difference in ground clearance on a Custom, comes from the different Tyre sizes allowed: 215/65/15 or 215/65/16, means 0,5 Inch more or less clearance.

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FJ111200 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 pm

And have you ever tried to drop the oil out on a Custom when on level ground?
What a total PITA trying to find a container to fit under the sump.
I've fitted a Stahlbus drain valve http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/product ... ain-valves which helps.
:idea: :lol: :roll:
FJ111200
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Veki007 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 pm

FJ111200 wrote:And have you ever tried to drop the oil out on a Custom when on level ground?
What a total PITA trying to find a container to fit under the sump.
I've fitted a Stahlbus drain valve http://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/product ... ain-valves which helps.
That is a smart thing to do.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby K0608 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Nederbelg wrote:There are no Customs whith as much ground clearance as the T5!
The rear axle configuration is to blaim. Apart from that, the Custom has Wiring and Tubing (breaks / Fuel) fitted in the most awkward of places; they are highly at risk whenn you leave the paved road.

The only difference in ground clearance on a Custom, comes from the different Tyre sizes allowed: 215/65/15 or 215/65/16, means 0,5 Inch more or less clearance.

Gr Nederbelg

Hi, thanks for your reply, that's a shame to hear. Do you know where I might find dimensions of ground clearance listed anywhere please?
K0608

Postby Custom155 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:26 am

Hi,
I’ve used a Tourneo lots on Galloway, Highland and Welsh Forestry Commission gated tracks and found it more than capable. If it’s a high centred track especially after the forwarders and lorries have been in just drive off centre. There is a Ford sump guard available though if required. Around £140 I think. I also use mud and snow Nokian full winter tyres all year round so have had no problems with traction.

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby K0608 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:50 am

Custom155 wrote:Hi,
I’ve used a Tourneo lots on Galloway, Highland and Welsh Forestry Commission gated tracks and found it more than capable. If it’s a high centred track especially after the forwarders and lorries have been in just drive off centre. There is a Ford sump guard available though if required. Around £140 I think. I also use mud and snow Nokian full winter tyres all year round so have had no problems with traction.

Cheers, James.

Hi James,
Thanks for the reply. Funnily enough, my vehicle will be used a lot in the Highlands, as I'm based up here. Sounds like a sump guard is a wise investment! How do you find your tyres last, as presumably they won't wear as well as three season/summer tyres.

Interestingly, someone has suggested that the standard Limited to have slightly more clearance, and someone else suggesting that the heavier vans (290/300) also having a bit more clearance.
K0608

Postby Custom155 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi,
I have a set of 15” steel wheels with Nokian winter tyres on them which I change over when the weather turns and a set of All season tyres on the original 16” alloy wheels. I thought they’d be a good compromise but in proper snow they don’t work anywhere near as well as a full winter tyre so will change the 16”s for full winters when the 15”s are used and just run full winters all year round. I also don’t have tyre pressure sensors in the 15”s so they can’t be fitted for MOT time. I don’t drive aggressively enough to wear them anymore than summer tyres so not worried if they naturally wear a bit faster. The ability to drive in deep snow or up muddy or wet grass slopes more than makes up for it.

I guess the Titanium or Limited versions are a bit higher due to 16” wheels? My Tourneo is a 300 version so maybe it all helps.. I think there are two sump guards available, an under the sump guard and an in front of the engine guard but I’m only researching it myself so still doing my homework.

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby skeet » Sat May 19, 2018 8:09 pm

The bottom of the adblue tanks seems very fragile. I wouldn't like to wheel spin in gravel never mind crunch it on the ground.
skeet
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Custom155 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi,
I had the same thought on my 14 Tourneo with rear air con pipes right behind the rear near-side wheel as they looked very vulnerable. I just cable tied a rectangular tough rubber pad to shield them. I don’t have the add blue to worry about though..

James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom