*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

154Kw/210PS bi turbo engine

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

154Kw/210PS bi turbo engine

Postby conrod » Sun May 20, 2018 12:15 pm

I went to a Ford dealer today, and test drove 3 new Mondeo's. These were all fitted with the "powershift" dual clutch gearbox, which I have to say I liked. Not super smooth like a traditional automatic, but I am used to manuals anyway, so I liked them.

First I drove a Titanium Diesel, this one had the 2.0 132Kw/180ps/400Nm engine, which is basically the same as fitted to the 170hp/125Kw Transit Custom. This went quite well, as you would expect.

Next I drove a Titanium petrol, with the 2.0 177Kw/240ps/345Nm Ecoboost engine. This went quite well too, much less low down torque than the diesel, but more top end power as you would expect.

Lastly I drove the Mondeo ST Line diesel, with the 2.0 bi turbo 154Kw/210ps/450Nm engine. Wow! What a difference to the single turbo 132Kw version! It has virtually no turbo lag, and a lot more low end punch, as the numbers would suggest.

This is same basic engine as the Transit Custom, so I wonder how if we might we see one of these engines fitted to the Transit in the near future?
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: 154Kw/210PS bi turbo engine

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:21 pm

I have a Mondeo auto 163 PSA bulletproof engine.Often wonder why it wasnt fitted to a fwd transit. Powershift boxes can be a problem child if you dont do regular oil and filter changes :(
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby conrod » Mon May 21, 2018 12:48 am

yes I have been reading about the powershift boxes, seems there were some issues with them. The dealer has told me it was mostly the petrol engined ones that gave trouble, which had a different version, and that they are pretty much sorted now. But there is an expensive $600 (£300) service every 60 000kms on them. Being a manual type box, the tow rating is much higher than the auto, 2000kgs vs. 1250. Going to drive a facelift Transit this week, and decide between it and the ST Line estate as my daily driver. :D
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby V184 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:I have a Mondeo auto 163 PSA bulletproof engine.Often wonder why it wasnt fitted to a fwd transit. Powershift boxes can be a problem child if you dont do regular oil and filter changes :(

isnt it fitted to the latest Boxer & Relay ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby conrod » Mon May 21, 2018 8:26 pm

looks like the PSA 163hp engine was fitted to a number of vehicles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratorq_engine

But looks like the new "Ecoblue" 2.0 Transit engine was solely developed by Ford:

The I4, two-litre EcoBlue made its European debut at the commercial vehicle show in Birmingham, England, in Ford's Transit and Transit Custom vans.

The engine was developed completely in-house at Ford's Dunton, England and German R&D centres and will be made at the automaker's Dagenham Diesel Centre in east London. It is not part of the ongoing PSA Group-Ford joint venture that produces smaller capacity diesels for both automakers at Dagenham, a Ford spokeswoman confirmed.

https://www.just-auto.com/news/ford-lau ... 68802.aspx

Oh, and did I mention the noise level? It is bloody quiet for a diesel engine! Something I have really hated about diesel engines in the past, Ford have made big steps in quietening this engine down! It remains to be seen how some of the newer technologies such as cam belt in the oil system and the twin turbo setup fare in the long term.
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom