*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Tourneo Custom

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ford Tourneo Custom

Postby Monty72 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi all, new here, new to Vans and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Not made my mine up yet but looking at either a Ford Tourneo Custom (9 seat) or a Custom Crew Cab (need at least 6 seats) for the family bus.

Budget wise it's going to be 13/14 possibly 15 but wondering about mileage. Seen a few high mile examples around 150k to 200k going for around 7 to 8 grand. The low mileage ones (50k to 80K) around 10 to 13 grand (plus VAT)

Very difficult question to answer realise, but what could you expect to get out off these Vans mileage wise before needing to spend a boat load? Are transits as reliable as we're led to believe are are they just the same as the Renault/Vauxhall etc. etc.

Cheers

Monty
Monty72
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Ford Tourneo Custom

Postby richbee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Sorry no idea about mileage etc.

Would say watch out for insurance costs on Tourneo 8/9 seaters, much more than DCIV 6 seaters. (mine is a 6 seat long wheelbase DCIV, which is great)

Also be aware that van speed limits apply to vans & DCIV (50 on A roads, 60 on dual carriageway, 70 on M'way), but normal car limits apply to the Tourneo!!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Monty72 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks Rich, didn’t know about the speed limits.

If I get the 9 seater I’m planning on taking the 3rd row out. Need a big boot for camping
Monty72
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Monty72 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:09 pm

richbee wrote:Would say watch out for insurance costs on Tourneo 8/9 seaters, much more than DCIV 6 seaters. (mine is a 6 seat long wheelbase DCIV, which is great)

Your not wrong, just got a quote in the wife's name 1200 quid!
Monty72
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby richbee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:32 pm

Yeah - sounds about right.

For camping, I can fit a double airbed in the back of mine, the L2 makes quite a bit of difference
Monty72 wrote:
richbee wrote:Would say watch out for insurance costs on Tourneo 8/9 seaters, much more than DCIV 6 seaters. (mine is a 6 seat long wheelbase DCIV, which is great)

Your not wrong, just got a quote in the wife's name 1200 quid!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thedugmaster » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:12 pm

I've got a 2014 Tourneo.. It started out as a 9 seater but I've since converted it to 8 and it's much better. Better for comfort (the double front seat is fixed and can't be adjusted), and better for insurance (less seats = less lives to cover = lower premium).

A few things to consider. The Tourneo's taxation class in M1 so as far as the DVLA is concerned it's a car and not a commercial (N1) as the DCIV is. This means that it has to comply with car-related EU directives, for example the Tourneos all have tyre pressure sensors fitted whereas not all DCIVs do. Also, if you go for the Titanium Tourneo like mine you'll get the benefit of rear air con which is great (cooling from above and floor level heating, something else you don't get in the DCIV. Finally, I have to say that the seats in the Tourneo are fantastic. Very comfortable, adjustable and very flexible. On the odd occasion I need more space I can either fold my rears forwards or take them out altogether.

On long trips the grandkids appreciate the fact that all 6 rears partially recline and have armrests at each end. Also, we sometimes fold the centre backrest forward which give the two outer seats a nice flat surface in between for learning on or using as a table when parked.
thedugmaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Joatamos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:58 am

Hi to the Forum from a Newbie. :D

Have been driving an L2 Tourneo Custom for a year now, having moved across from a Navara pickup. Been absolutely awesome - we love it! Miss the 4x4 go-anywhere of the Nav a little (very, very rarely TBH), but don't miss the "cab the size of a Fiesta and everything you need out in the flatbed". 8)

Use our van a lot for days/weekends out and some of the main points to consider are:
- 8-seater gives a useful space upfront for coldbag / camera bag etc between the seats, and still enough room to get into the back through the seats (great when raining and your wet weather gear is in the back!).
- We've taken out the middle-row of seats and covered the floor with a thick picnic rug. Dog in bed behind drivers seat and plenty of space for change of clothes, prep kit bags etc etc
- If you have a dog, the load-tie-down d-clip right on the floor right by the sliding door is ideal for a double-clip ended dog lead (like the stretch ones for clipping to belts for jogging with dog). Keeps dog (or small children!) controlled but hands-free.
- Love the large tailgate on the Tourneo Custom - large, quick umbrella when in the boot of the van! Transit Customs (I think!) all come with double-doors - need less space to open but no rain protection.
- L2 boot is huge. You won't notice the extra length when parking / turning, but you will appreciate the extra boot room.

Happy trails. 8)
Joatamos

Postby Monty72 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks for all the advice guys.

It's taken me a while but I've finally bought a 2016 Transit custom double cab Limited L2H1. Picked it up last weekend and so far very impressed. New wheels and winter tyres (I live in Buxton) fitted so far.

IMG_1964.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monty72
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby richbee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:58 pm

Monty72 wrote:Thanks for all the advice guys.

It's taken me a while but I've finally bought a 2016 Transit custom double cab Limited L2H1. Picked it up last weekend and so far very impressed. New wheels and winter tyres (I live in Buxton) fitted so far.

IMG_1964.jpeg

Nice!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom