*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Headlamps

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Headlamps

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Are all the pre 2018 headlamps a universal fit?, i.e. Can I swap my chrome style for the black ones are they all,the same spec?
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Headlamps

Postby TallPaul » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:10 am

The chrome ones are a better spec, they're projector beam compared to the black ones which are just normal halogen. I'm sure somebody on here has stripped their headlamps down and painted the insides if that's what you're after?
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Yeah that's sorta what I'm after, I can get tommy tuck to do me a set I'm sure if I do, I was more concerned with them throwing a warning light up if I swapped them for the black style? I don't mind losing the projector halogen and osram knight breakers have always done me well..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Veki007 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:52 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:Yeah that's sorta what I'm after, I can get tommy tuck to do me a set I'm sure if I do, I was more concerned with them throwing a warning light up if I swapped them for the black style? I don't mind losing the projector halogen and osram knight breakers have always done me well..
This is what i have done with mine but is not easy you have to open headlights.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:55 pm

That does look mint, where the strip,from?, how easy are these to open up?
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Veki007 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:That does look mint, where the strip,from?, how easy are these to open up?
I had to cut them open and strip is from ebay they are indicators as well as side light.But my complete headlight has been upgraded to proper hid bi-xenon projector.

Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Thequeenscheese » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:33 pm

So do they not split with a heat gun?
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Veki007 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:So do they not split with a heat gun?
Nop.At least i wasn't able to.

Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Thequeenscheese » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:01 am

How did you rejoin / weld them back together ? Pity you didn't do a how to lol..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pocans » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 am

Veki007 wrote:
Thequeenscheese wrote:Yeah that's sorta what I'm after, I can get tommy tuck to do me a set I'm sure if I do, I was more concerned with them throwing a warning light up if I swapped them for the black style? I don't mind losing the projector halogen and osram knight breakers have always done me well..
This is what i have done with mine but is not easy you have to open headlights.ImageImage

Yes I too would be interested on how you did your headlamp upgrade.
1. How did you break the seal? With heat gun? Or just left out in the sun with this hot heat we’re having (July 2018)? Or in an oven?
2. Did you key/sand the area to paint with which grit paper?
3. Which primer and paint? Was it UV resistant to last?
4. Which LED strip did you obtain from EBay? Does the kit need any additional wiring?
5. How did you reseal the headlamp unit?

I know there’s plenty of videos on YouTube, but always good to learn from experience of others.
Pocans

Postby Veki007 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:05 am

Pocans wrote:
Veki007 wrote:

Yes I too would be interested on how you did your headlamp upgrade.
1. How did you break the seal? With heat gun? Or just left out in the sun with this hot heat we’re having (July 2018)? Or in an oven?
2. Did you key/sand the area to paint with which grit paper?
3. Which primer and paint? Was it UV resistant to last?
4. Which LED strip did you obtain from EBay? Does the kit need any additional wiring?
5. How did you reseal the headlamp unit?

I know there’s plenty of videos on YouTube, but always good to learn from experience of others.
Hi guys im going on holiday this Saturday so i will grab some time and write how to and what parts i was using.

Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocans » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:09 am

Any luck and listing out materials/paint used?
Pocans

Postby Veki007 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:31 pm

Pocans wrote:Any luck and listing out materials/paint used?
Hi sorry for delay in posting but here you go.So headlights have to be open by cutting it just on the edge next to clear lense as they can not be bake opened first they do not fit in any oven, i have put them togethere (glued) first with hot glue gun as it goes off quickly (spot glued) then i have completely sealed with Black ct1 https://www.toolguru.co.uk/ct1-sealant-black and is very strong bond and it lòoks ok.
So parts i have replaced original projectors with Morimoto mini H1 7.0 bi-xenon projector and xb35 watt morimoto ballasts they can be now ordered from uk from http://emtuning.co.uk/shop/bi-xenon-mor ... ersal-kit/ no additional wiring needed just one wire need to be connected to high beam for it to work.I have reused from OEM projectors brackets they needed to be separated from projector by cutting it but they are already aligned so literally marking 4 holes and drilling.
High beam is same h15 bulb but i have disconnected drl from it as im running osram led drl(on the grill) indicator has stayed same but i have incoporate led switch back side lighthttps://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-30-60cm-Fle ... =R40&rt=nc and connected to existing indicator so it works at the same time while side light bulb has been removed.Unfortunately i can not remember which resistor i have used for led strip and i can not find where did i buy from it but is defenetly needed as they will start to flicker if no resistors.Regarding paint i have used B&Q https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... VkQgTYIwgQ and no problems at this point and have used gray plastick primer https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/rust-oleum- ... lsrc=aw.ds whole headlight needs to be sanded with very fine sand paper 2000 grit.Hope this helps when i get time i will try to post step by step complete guide if i can remember how it hoes

Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom