Transitmania 9 @Santa Pod 23rd - 24th September 2017 Click here for details!

2000 Autosleeper Duetto LE

Sell all Transit Vans, Pickups, New and Old Here! [No Trade Ads]

Moderator: Luke

2000 Autosleeper Duetto LE

Postby melonseed » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:46 pm

This camper van has done only 28,500 miles and has all the bells and whistles you would expect of this model. If you are in the market for buying this model, then you will know all about it's attributes so I will not list them here. I am two years short of age 80 and have not been using much in the past two years. However, it has one problem that has brought me to the point of putting it on the market and that is a coded EML warning that puts the engine into limp mode. Without that fault it would probably sell for anything up to £15,000 but I want to get my sanity back so I am going to let it go for £9,000 ono. Don't all rush at once but please ask any questions you like on this thread and you will get an honest answer...I might even try to talk you out of buying it...but it really has to go!
melonseed
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2000 Autosleeper Duetto LE

Postby ake » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:18 am

Is this a MK5 smiley transit?
If so it's an Epic Turbo?

When was the timing belt last changed? Worn belt will cause timing errors and put it into limp
2012 Ford Transit 125ps 260 Trend
2011 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Titanium X

Retrofit cruise control, dash upgrades , egr deletes and remaps from

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby melonseed » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:43 am

Hello ake,

The answer is yes on both counts. If you go to the Mk.3,4 & 5 section and look under the thread 'LIMP MODE' you will see the details of the problem. You will see that I was not the originator of that thread and rode on the back of it because it was highlighting a similar sort of problem. I would have done better to raise a new thread but we can all be wiser with hindsight.

I have been unable to find anyone local (South Yorks) who can fix it and also been let down by four people who claimed they could fix it after diagnosing the codes but who subsequently walked away.

The annoying thing is that I still don't know what the actual fault is. If I did I would have a go myself... if it just meant that a component or sensor needed replacement. I have been led to believe that the fault lies within the EPIC diesel injector pump, hence my purchase of a used item from eBay. I am in the process of stripping it down to see if it is in any fit state to replace the one on the van. It will need refurbishing with new seals, etc. and if tried in the van a new timing belt fitted (this is overdue anyway). However, I am stretching my knowledge and ability here because I am not well versed in electronics and I don't have the necessary equipment to do the testing (i.e. a Lucas Laser 2000) which I have been advised is the only diagnostic kit that will do the job properly.

On the plus side, the van is in very good condition on the domestic front with all appliances working properly. I have user manuals for all of them, oven, hob, fridge, air and water heaters, toilet, etc. I have recently fitted two new batteries and the vehicle runs beautifully (it is hardly run in at 28,500 mile) when not blighted by the limp mode fault. I would say that the first to see will buy if they have access to someone who knows what they are doing.

Finally, you are very welcome to come along and view the van...I will not badger you or anyone else to buy it.

PS : Just read your bottom line "When was the timing belt last changed? Worn belt will cause timing errors and put it into limp"
I was led to believe that the belt was changed at 20,000 miles when I bought the van in 2009. That would mean that it is well overdue time wise. However, I have always doubted that the belt was ever changed at all...in which case it has been on the vehicle for 16 years and 28,500 miles. IS IT POSSIBLE FOR A TIMING BELT TO LAST THAT LONG?
melonseed
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin wheel camper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:30 pm

Look just get a new belt kit on it, it's only about £60 and a few hours to fit and you will probably have a perfect running transit again
If it's never being changed from new your very lucky it hasn't broken but the belt can and does stretch with age and cause limp home mode, it's a no brainer to do this first and then see from there and if problem solved ask a few grand more and your quids in.
twin wheel camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Definitely do timing belt before anything else
2012 Ford Transit 125ps 260 Trend
2011 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Titanium X

Retrofit cruise control, dash upgrades , egr deletes and remaps from

Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
Or is it something worse?
ake
Site Moderator

Re: 2000 Autosleeper Duetto LE (NOW SOLD)

Postby melonseed » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:46 am

This vehicle has now been SOLD.
melonseed
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transits For Sale