*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Insurance writing off my van advise and parts.

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

Insurance writing off my van advise and parts.

Postby Luke J » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Alwight you lot, I need a bit of advise with the way of the world with write offing and problems it can cause etc.

I got rear ended recentley by a mondeo sized motor and it's looking to be a Cat C write off. The back doors, rear centre bumper are mashed up and the main chassis lower lump is pushed in about an inch (where the bottom lock catches). Haven't finalised anything with the insurance yet or been clued up with prices.

I have not long got it back from an insurance repair , a lorry goudgeing up the side, that was almost a write off. They valued my 03 87K MK6 SWB 3 months ago at 3700, the insurance job cost 2600 aparrentley (hire van, repairs etc), the repair place said if it's a write off they would fix the rear panel and sliding door for around 650, and i would have to VIC (£50) it. I had a waffle with the insurance back then and was offered a buy it back for 700-900 and 3k in my pocket.

So with my new smashup, how do you reckon this would all pan out, the value must still be about £3700 but there more damage but easier and cheeper for me to fix and hopfully cheeper for a buy back, but this will be a write off this time cat C and 50 notes and 2 week wait for a VIC.

I'm thinking Buy it back , find some barns and bumper, find a tree and a chain to pull out the back a bit and release some assets as it where, then drive to the ground. Or should I run with the money and get a gay MK7. I won't lie I could do with some bunce in my asda club right now too.
Thanks all
'03 Mk6 T260 2.0 Duratorq Low roof SWB , EGR blanked and cleaned 95K. Sometimes White.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Insurance writing off my van advise and parts.

Postby Luke J » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Sorry double posting.
Just out of interest, how do you unwrite off as it where a motor, how do classic motors that have been writen off become you know etc, etc :lol:
Insurance is a scam!!!
'03 Mk6 T260 2.0 Duratorq Low roof SWB , EGR blanked and cleaned 95K. Sometimes White.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby t2myd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:21 pm

They will write your van off , get the lump of cash and , try get it back and ebay it , if you keep it to use ,it won't need a vic check, I've got loads of parts for transits , I had a crash in one of my mk7s earlier this year , same damage as yours , insurance paid me £2300 and got £2850 whiplash , :wink: :wink: :wink:
Transit vantastic !!!!!!
t2myd
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke J » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks, I was told at the repair place it will need a VIC and im pretty sure it will need one to be sure it hasn't been a cut and shut and getting tuged for a vic flaged motor. Might ask you for some parts very soon. I'm an honest bloke to the core so I just want my dues, I won't go the way of whip lash etc ( Unless that was true and just). however I did make sure my sis milked it propper 8 years ago. But that was then this is now. I still need a van at the end of the day too, with all the bells and whistle This one has inside. it took me 2 days to fit it out and it's mint less it's last injury. It realy put's me out not having MY van so to speak.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mealic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

t2myd wrote: and got £2850 whiplash , :wink: :wink: :wink:

That`s not a lot for an injury that could possibly affect you for the rest of your life and possibly not allow you to ever work again.You should have claimed hundreds of thousands,maybe millions :roll:

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke J » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:53 pm

with the greatest respect

Seriously, That's not my way of thinking. Why do you think your insurance is so high in the first place. I want fair do's not taking the F'n piss. Hence insurance is a scame because it hoiked up by chancers and beggers.

I just wanna weigh up my options without the ambulance chasing mentality.

Thanks though
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mealic » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 am

My sentiments entirely.It was the OP that added the winking smilies not me. Didn`t mean to hi-jack your post,pisses me off too.
Should have said this in the beginning.Sorry to hear about your van and hope you get an amicable settlement.

`04 2.3 petrol/LPG
mealic
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke J » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:02 am

Noted ;)
Can anyone in the game give me some ideas to what I rekon the way to go.

Ta
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Luke J » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 am

mealic wrote:My sentiments entirely.It was the OP that added the winking smilies not me. Didn`t mean to hi-jack your post,pisses me off too.
Should have said this in the beginning.Sorry to hear about your van and hope you get an amicable settlement.

I'm still a SE londoner, so yher know there is some movement, I'm not a plastic plod :lol:. Not that they would let me ;)
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby t2myd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Your van will not need a vic check as its a commercial , commercials and motorbikes, Do not need vic checks even though there cat c , I buy and repair a lot of vans that are cat c and cat d and never took one yet for a vic check .With the age and damage cost of your van its highly likely that it will be written off
Transit vantastic !!!!!!
t2myd
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Eggski » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Dan Cameron is the guy to speak to I would think.
Custom Trend 2.2 125/290s 64reg (2014) DCIV. (Remapped by Vantuner)
Mk7 2.4 115T350, 57reg (2008) crewcab tipper in Saffron yellow. (De EGR'd and tweeked by Vantuner)
Mk5 2.5 banana, 76ps, V reg (2000) 190 crewcab tipper. (sold but not forgotten)
Eggski
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi mate, sorry to hear about the bad news re the Mk6, hope you are ok.

I have recently repaired a van for a customer, the insurance assessor was going to write it off on the basis of uneconomical repair, we did a deal with the insurers, they agreed a price to repair, slightly less than the total value, hence saving them some money.

We then repaired it for the owner, we did a deal with him to not charge him his excess, (£350 in his case!), but the result was that the vehicle was not written off and therefore did not end up cat C/D and hence retained it's resale value for when the owner does decide to sell it on.

It might be a possible way to go, all you need is a 'friendly repairer' :wink:

PS.
Glad to see you still have the pic of the Mk5 up, we are still looking after it well.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke J » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Cheers Diesel,
Ahh, shes still going is she :D ! I did a similar thing with the surrogate. That dent on the o/s rear corner above the light. They offered me £650 as a write off and I think by it back for £100. I said I know an old boy who would fix it up for £400 pin money. They went for it, so I just bought a new rear lens for £25 and pocketed the rest without the write off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the price is still on the light now with scrappers crayon :lol: ;). I would Like to keep the MK6 and keep it's value. As you saw it last year, it's f'n mint. But in an above board way:)
Hope your well, PM me, I lost your number.
Be nice to see me old MK5 and what you have done with her :lol:
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dieselhead123 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:58 am

Yes mate, the price is still on the Surrogate's rear lamp, yellow crayon :lol:

The Surrogate is doing ok, she now has a large V8 Cadillac engine in her, all part of the development for a future project.

If you have been told that your van will be a right off by a repairer, have the insurers sent an assessor to view the van yet, they will want Independent confirmation from the assessor prior to making a decision?

In cases where the insurers expect a right off but have to pay out, (no fault accident, such as in your case), the assessor is tasked with saving the insurers money, so your best bet is to insist on a hire van, this will speed the claims process and force there hand.

When the assessor views the van, calmly express the urgency of the repair and state how good your van is for it's age, how well serviced it is and any 'custom modifications' you have made to enable you to use it for work as these would need to be duplicated on any replacement vehicle you purchased.

The one we have just repaired was valued at £2200, but £1950 plus vat just for parts. We told the assessor that if it was written off, we would require payment for tow-in and storage but those charges would be waived if we were given the repair work.

We were offered £1950 including vat to repair, (parts and labour), and were able to repair and save the owner his £350 excess.

We all came out well, but most importantly it saved the insurers money, so they were happy.

Remember, it is YOUR van, so you are entitled to choose the repairer.

If you think that we can be of assistance, please feel free to give us a call mate, 07754 806004 is the works number.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Luke J » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks t2myd, I done a bit of research and your right on that, the repair center deals mostly with new cars so might not be up with vans and such. Bang on advise.

After a few convos it gonna be cat C and mot end off. No way around, not with this claims firm.

So needing Low roof barns in white and rear bumper center piece. PM me with offers. set of MK7 rear light might be good too.
Luke J
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Transit Talk