*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

engine swap..

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

engine swap..

Postby Christiaan » Tue May 28, 2013 8:24 pm

So from what I understand a 3lv6 won't fit my "75 LWB flatnose camper? shite.
I was thinking of a 2L 4cil old sierra engine running on LPG or something than would that be an easy fit?
or I go with 2 radiators, smaller ones on the side, the front is wide enough to fit a V6 in the middle I guess..
for now it is still running (well drivable :shock: ) on (from what I guess) the original 1.7, but I could use a bit more hp, it's quite big for the engine.
still have a lotta work to do though, technically I had a bargain but the camperbit was a bit more of a disaster than what I expected, leaking and rotting tbh :D
well I wanted something to do and that is exactly what I got :D
Christiaan
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: engine swap..

Postby Muttley » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I have seen flat front MK1's with Pinto engines fitted, a V6 would go in too with a bit of fiddling with the bulkhead. It all depends on how much work you want to do.
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby mb4ever » Tue May 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Christiaan wrote:So from what I understand a 3lv6 won't fit my "75 LWB flatnose camper? shite.
I was thinking of a 2L 4cil old sierra engine running on LPG or something than would that be an easy fit?
or I go with 2 radiators, smaller ones on the side, the front is wide enough to fit a V6 in the middle I guess..
for now it is still running (well drivable :shock: ) on (from what I guess) the original 1.7, but I could use a bit more hp, it's quite big for the engine.
still have a lotta work to do though, technically I had a bargain but the camperbit was a bit more of a disaster than what I expected, leaking and rotting tbh :D

:)

V-4 engines were regarded as high maintenance in their day and often replaced by Pintos when they came on stream according to a friend who worked for Ford main agent all those years ago.

There are persistent rumours that V6s were fitted using a single rad.
Apparently there were several tricks.

One very wide rad with the fins cut out so the engine could poke through between the header and bottom tanks.

One very deep / thick rad mounted to one side.

Two smaller rads, with the header and bottom tanks linked horizontally with hoses.

In all cases, electric fans were used of course.
I've never tried to fit a V6 in a Mk1, so I can't recommend any route.

Nowadays, electric water pumps are available to ensure good flow through the rad / rads.
Some here: -
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/advan ... water+pump
I expect they are cheaper on eBay.

They are reckoned to be excellent, especially since the electronic controller adjusts the speed of the pump motor to suit the engine / water temperature.
I've never used one so I can't comment.
mb4ever
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Tue May 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Christiaan wrote:So from what I understand a 3lv6 won't fit my "75 LWB flatnose camper? shite.

just fit a bullnose panal
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 1 & 2