*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New ford transit custom sport faults

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

New ford transit custom sport faults

Postby Brookster69 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Wonder what the forums views are regarding teething issues with the new transit custom. I bought mine in May this year and it has been back to the dealer 3 times now,most recently for 5 days.it has had a power steering recall, new rear suspension bushes and bolts, new windscreen as the heated section stopped working on one side so needed replacing,the air con needed repair as it clicked like mad when I put it on, the plastic lock shroud on the inside of the back doors broke in half and fell off, the lane alert warning failed and the engine clatters very loudly when start up from cold. At £22000 plus vat I am very disappointed. Ford should have got it right from the off with so much competition out there. My van is in panther black the lower paint sections on the front and rear lower quarter panels seems poorly finished and not smooth and glossy like the rest of the van, is this normal ? Anyone else had similar problems ?..
Brookster69

Re: New ford transit custom sport faults

Postby clydechops » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Had mine 3 weeks now...... got the noisey/ clatter start up from cold...... all good otherwise. sounds like you've had a bit of bad look! Hope the stealers get it sorted pronto for you.,..... believe me... they are a cracking van!! The start up issue does seem to be a common thing though, I had a similar problem with the MK7 sport I had previously, it never got any worse though ????
clydechops

Postby Tran59 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:35 am

If yours was delivered in May, it must have been one of the very first Sports off the production line. That's not an excuse - Ford should do things right - but it is always advisable to wait at least 3 months before ordering a factory-build on a new model. That gives them a good 6 months or more to iron out any teething problems.

I have had my Sport about 6 weeks now and - touch wood - it's been great, except for the excessively tall gearing, which I consider more a design 'fault' rather than a problem specific to my vehicle.

If I were you, I would consider writing to Ford and/or the press to see if they can't do something about your van.
The best mods are the ones you don't see
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:45 pm

There's a good reason for waiting a year before buying a new model from any manufacturer, not making excuses for Ford but no matter how much testing they do, you have to give the guys on the production line some time to get up to speed imo.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby John Johnson » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Tbh mines been a pile of sh1t from day one , the only reason I've been patient and stuck with it is because its a great design ... Shitty execution by the Turks though
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Brookster69 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks for the comments and maybe yes I should have waited ,however the base trend and limited versions were already out there prior to the sport so they should have had it sorted I have spoke to the dealership and they apologised and promise to sort out any issues, but took the shine off getting the sport, I did consider the vw sport line but at over £10 k dearer decided not too. I have had ford transits for the last 25 years and done all sorts with them from custom painting to fitting 3ltr v6 engines in them etc.i would appreciate it if anyone else out there with a new sport model has noticed if the paint finish on the front and rear body kit parts is different from the rest of the van, it's coarse, and not as glossy, have been told it's meant to be like that, but don't see why, other than the fact it's an add on, ?? Mine is in panther black .
Regards brookster69 Wirral
Brookster69

Postby Brookster69 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Brookster69 wrote:Thanks for the comments and maybe yes I should have waited ,however the base trend and limited versions were already out there prior to the sport so they should have had it sorted I have spoke to the dealership and they apologised and promise to sort out any issues, but took the shine off getting the sport, I did consider the vw sport line but at over £10 k dearer decided not too. I have had ford transits for the last 25 years and done all sorts with them from custom painting to fitting 3ltr v6 engines in them etc.i would appreciate it if anyone else out there with a new sport model has noticed if the paint finish on the front and rear body kit parts is different from the rest of the van, it's coarse, and not as glossy, have been told it's meant to be like that, but don't see why, other than the fact it's an add on, ?? Mine is in panther black .
Regards brookster69 Wirral

Wouldn't it be nice if the guys at ford actually designed the hubs with a more common pcd to allow a decent choice of 18/19/20 inch alloys after all a decent set of wheels make the van, vw and Mercedes got their act sorted on that score. Listen up ford and give your customers a better choice.
Brookster69

Postby John Johnson » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 pm

Mines coarse as you describe it on the colour coding , not the bet but that's the way it is
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Brookster69 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:26 pm

John Johnson wrote:Mines coarse as you describe it on the colour coding , not the bet but that's the way it is

Could be a lot better feels like the old under seal, cheap and sub quality, my mate owns a spray shop and couldn't believe they would turn it out like this, if they wanted to give a change of surface to highlight the sport trim they should have done it stealth Matt
Brookster69

Postby Les111ROC » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:56 am

[/quote]
Wouldn't it be nice if the guys at ford actually designed the hubs with a more common pcd to allow a decent choice of 18/19/20 inch alloys after all a decent set of wheels make the van, vw and Mercedes got their act sorted on that score. Listen up ford and give your customers a better choice.[/quote]
Do mk7 wheels fit ?
I plan on getting a custom early next year, At the moment I use Tourneo ali's on my mk7 & like them.
Les111ROC
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:27 pm

Not making excuses for the Custom but the VW sportline 180 horse i looked at yesterday was 38k inc vat :shock: big money !
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Tran59 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:15 pm

The paint finish on my Sport's bodykit parts is identical to the rest of the body.
The best mods are the ones you don't see
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby TallPaul » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:01 pm

The paint on my front bumper (black Trend) is pretty piss poor too, looks like its barely got a full coat of lacquer on it!
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:17 pm

John Johnson wrote:Shitty execution by the Turks though

Be thankful that it wasn't built in the UK.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby John Johnson » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:17 pm

It's only marginally better tbh :lol:
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Transit Custom