*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk5 2.5di starting issues from cold

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

mk5 2.5di starting issues from cold

Postby adam_h » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:21 pm

hi all dont suppose anyone has had a similar problem, my mk5 2.5di turning over to start i have to keep the throttle down and when it fires,its like its chocked up badly for the first couple of minutes i can keep the throttle to the floor lots of smoke out the back engine really struggles to get upto revs almost likets dying then it clears itself smoke dissapears and all is fine runs well then through the day,but cold starting is starting to worry me now recently changed the oil to 5w30 done about 600 miles since then any advise or pointers to look for would be great thanks. forgot to add new fuel filter and injector bleed was done about 600 miles ago but never cured it
adam_h
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk5 2.5di starting issues from cold

Postby fidget » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 pm

check that you don't have a small leak in your leakoff pipes allowing air in and the fuel running back to the tank.

have you done the leakoff mod? pleanty about it , do a search.

for me, if I give any pedal on any start then it will not go, I just turn the key, no pedal until it fire's up.

it is also very common with the 2.5 DI to have starting issues in cold weather.
my advise may not be right, but I like to give my 10p worth, and an answer even if wrong is nice to see.
Build: 05.03.1992
Series: 100L
Diesel 2.5 (70PS)
5-Speed Manual - MT75
Drive: RHD RWD
Axle: 4.56
Diamond White 73
fidget
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andypdq » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:32 am

All of the above is good advice.

It should crank over briskly on the starter, If it doesn't it will struggle to start in cold weather, make sure battery, starter, cables are in good order and all connections are clean and tight.

Which model is it, and what injector pump does it have?

Has the timing belt been changed recently? If the timing belt has stretched a little, it means you have retarded timing, which can cause a cold start problem. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=137194&start=15

Andy
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adam_h » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:01 am

thanks some good pointers there,and funny enough i am sure the smoke on start up has been more noticeable,since i changed the timing belt, around 1000 miles ago now its the second belt i have changed on a transit thanks to the forum guide,and i did use the timing pins i think i will double check to make sure its still timed up properly,not sure what pump i have its a p reg mk5 2.5di if that helps,motor seems to crank over at a decent speed cant notice its got any slower but been reading it may not have the required voltage or something even though its spinning fast so got a few things to check over the next week or 2 i will update,failing that i am going with as others say "mk5 can be a bugger to start cold" as after say 2 minutes you would not think its the same van,i will try it later without throttle aswell but from what i remember last year it just stalled after starting without throttle,thanks again i will update if i find anything cheers
adam_h
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Keef » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 am

If you've got the earlier Bosch pump, there's a waxstat and cable operated cold start mechanism on the back of the pump that regularly fails when they get a bit older.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby andypdq » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 pm

max.print wrote:If you've got the earlier Bosch pump, there's a waxstat and cable operated cold start mechanism on the back of the pump that regularly fails when they get a bit older.

Good point, these pumps are set more retarded than the later 145/146 pumps, if the cold start advance unit is not working, they will struggle to start when it's cold. If your pump has one of these fitted (you can't miss it, a great big lever with a cable attatched, going to the waxstat, on the offside of the pump) you will have cold start problems. You could try manually operating the lever, while someone else turns the key to see if you get an easier start.

You can replace the waxstat with a manual cable, operated from the cab, some VW vehicles have these, which I prefer, because at least you know it's working, and it's a simpler system.

Andy.

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adam_h » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:58 pm

excellent thanks,not sure what pump it is to be honest i will get a pic,but when i put a picture on of my fuel filter,matt said it was the lucas type, i am a numpty with vans but learning,give me a motorcross/enduro bike engine to rebuild any day of the week lol i guess its what your used to at the end of the day thanks for the advise and pointers much appreciated.
adam_h
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andypdq » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Opps, if it's a Lucas, the Bosch specific stuff doesn't apply, however it may still be worth trying advancing the pump a bit, the same rules still apply, loosen the hub bolts and turn the pump shaft clockwise a little, you can always turn it back if it doesn't work, see what happens, nothing to loose :D

Andy.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adam_h » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:32 am

thanks andy gonna have a play as you said nothing to lose,just took the van for some diesel the battery is deffinatly turning the motor over slower now nearly did not start at all,after i got fuel jumped in the van and fired within half a turn.maybe time to do the twin battery mod looks like someone had an extra one on it in its time,it has the tray and padding in place for another battery,unless they all come like that ? but i will update the thread when i get around to doing it all cheers.
adam_h
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby F111ORY » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:14 am

Hi, Have you checked if your battery cables need replacing with new/thicker ones!?

Don't matter how much you spend on batteries and new starter motors if the power is being lost in the leads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby adam_h » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:42 am

Good point thanks will be having a look today
adam_h
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby adam_h » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:13 pm

New battery fitted today and has done the job I think lol back to half a spin or so then fires into life feel silly for asking now haha still gave a bit of smoke as soon as it started then after a rev it clears itself but has been doing this since I owned the van thanks to everyone that gave me pointers much appreciated
adam_h
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby crossfire » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 pm

hi ihave acold start problem i have a mark 4 camper acuple of pedles and its fine can any one help
crossfire

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits