*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rover V8 to Transit MT75 Gearbox Adapter

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Rover V8 to Transit MT75 Gearbox Adapter

Postby layalog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:47 pm

mmmm sweet
its not leaking, its just another tear
layalog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby layalog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:07 pm

hey tim hows the progress with this conversion
I just picked up another prop ready for run 2 will then get it shortend :wink:
layalog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thegreathowardo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 pm

layalog wrote:hey tim hows the progress with this conversion
I just picked up another prop ready for run 2 will then get it shortend :wink:

I should collect the first 'customer' conversion kit in the next couple of weeks. The interior including the dashboard is all stripped out, sealed the seams with silicone where the water gets in on the sides above the suspension mounts and just need to patch the holes in the floor. Does anyone locally have a front driver's seat base (the framework that bolts to the floor) as I want to turn the cab into a 2 seater with more space...?
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby layalog » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:17 pm

good news theg
great to hear good luck with it bet ya cant wait :D
layalog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby RustWidow » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 am

Love it. Something ford shoulda thought of years ago lol love the flash engine shame that ain't mine lol
Old Fords Never Die - some fool keeps repairing them
RustWidow
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby thegreathowardo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:27 pm

NEWS UPDATE!

The Rover engine is bolted to Tim's adaptor and the whole thing is swinging on the engine crane in situ as I type. There are a couple of issues with the conversion in this style of Transit. The original engine mountings are in line with the centre of the engine (looking from the side), so if using centre-exit downpipes (P6 type or MGB block-hugger tubular manifolds) the mounting will be in the way. There is also a problem insofar as the exhaust route will have to go UNDER the front cross member as with the bellhousing and the power steering rack on the driver's side there is no room for the pipes to go above the crossmember. On my Mk4 it had the old steering box on the inside of the front wheelarch so no problem there. Also you will need to use the Rover P5 or P6 sump. The engine has to sit at 5 degrees to the horizontal, the Range Rover sump fouls the power steering rack. The P6 sump has a more central 'well' for the oil and clears the rack easily. I will move the position of the engine mounts to line up with the positions on the Rover Engine, this will leave enough room for the exhaust downpipes. Pictures will be posted tomorrow when I have moved the mounts and got the engine in the right place. There will be no need to cut the bulkhead you will be pleased to hear, I will just swing the engine over about half an inch, slightly stressing the rear gearbox mount, although I may cut one of the mounting holes bigger so the engine/gearbox can sit slightly askew in the chassis. All in all it was never going to be plug and play but I am here to do all the development so you don't have to! Full instructions will be available once the conversion is complete.
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thegreathowardo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:37 pm

thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nomadbill » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Very interesting, considering a V8 conversion on my 03 RWD 2.3 petrol/lpg. Anyone want a job?
2003 Transit 280 SWB RWD 2.3 petrol/lpg - broken!!
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CDTi - expensive headache!!
nomadbill
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:27 pm

thegreathowardo wrote:Image

Coming along well there 8)

I have got to get to you and have a look at this, soon though or you will have completed it before I get there :lol:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:38 pm

nomadbill wrote:Very interesting, considering a V8 conversion on my 03 RWD 2.3 petrol/lpg. Anyone want a job?

The long term plan is to provide a 'kit' that works for the Mk6/7 as well as the Mk3/4/5.

'Thegreathowardo' is the first to install the Mk3/4/5 kit, we are working with him to 'iron out' any installation issues. Once his conversion is complete we will be able to develop the alternative parts necessary to install these in the Mk6/7 Transits. Once the kit is available then we would be happy to complete the installation or reccomend a Forum member near to you willing to carry out the work.

'Bookmark' the thread mate and keep an eye out for updates.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Nice job. :D 8) I notice you have points ignition, which can be a pain on the Rover V8. I've had great success in the past with these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-V8-3-5- ... 1023214438. Smoother running, better performance and economy and virtually maintainance free. Recommended.

Andy.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby thegreathowardo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:19 pm

andypdq wrote:Nice job. :D 8) I notice you have points ignition, which can be a pain on the Rover V8. I've had great success in the past with these:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-V8-3-5- ... 1023214438. Smoother running, better performance and economy and virtually maintainance free. Recommended.

Andy.

Yes that distributor was in there to stop any rubbish getting in! the vacuum unit is shot anyway so was looking for an electronic set up like the one on my Transit recovery truck v8 but this one will do perfectly! Thanks!
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby nomadbill » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 am

dieselhead123 wrote:
nomadbill wrote:Very interesting, considering a V8 conversion on my 03 RWD 2.3 petrol/lpg. Anyone want a job?

The long term plan is to provide a 'kit' that works for the Mk6/7 as well as the Mk3/4/5.

'Thegreathowardo' is the first to install the Mk3/4/5 kit, we are working with him to 'iron out' any installation issues. Once his conversion is complete we will be able to develop the alternative parts necessary to install these in the Mk6/7 Transits. Once the kit is available then we would be happy to complete the installation or reccomend a Forum member near to you willing to carry out the work.

TIM

Thanks Tim,

Don't suppose you'd know how I'd fair with passing the emissions test for an MOT if the 2.3 petrol/lpg is replaced with a V8? Really not sure what the deal is an 03 plate vehicle - I'm sure the older the vehicle, the less stringet for emissions...
2003 Transit 280 SWB RWD 2.3 petrol/lpg - broken!!
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CDTi - expensive headache!!
nomadbill
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby thegreathowardo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 am

nomadbill wrote:
dieselhead123 wrote:

TIM

Thanks Tim,

Don't suppose you'd know how I'd fair with passing the emissions test for an MOT if the 2.3 petrol/lpg is replaced with a V8? Really not sure what the deal is an 03 plate vehicle - I'm sure the older the vehicle, the less stringet for emissions...

Ah well that's the funny thing it goes on the age of the engine you put in! Mine dates from 1970 and so is just a visual check!!!!!

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

You have to prove the age of the engine but early V8s had it molded into the block at the top at the back and here is the guide to approximate age for the ones that don't, just check your engine number and you'll see where it falls in the range.

http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8/V8%20 ... .11.07.pdf

My engine needs to come back out to fit the clutch arm and replace the engine mounting rubbers that fell to bits after 40 years, then I can continue to make up the engine mounts and she will be going back in for good.
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thegreathowardo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Latest News...

The engine and box are now coupled properly. This involved adjusting a couple of holes in the gearbox and adaptor these will be resolved on subsequent adaptor plates. The gearbox needs to have a small amount pared away, I used an angle grinder, to make space for the Rover V8 starter motor.

The Clutch release arm and bearing arrangement have been modified due to the fact the Transit flywheel sits a lot further out from the block face that the Rover V8 with the adaptor plate fitted. This means the clutch release bearing is around an inch away from the Rover clutch. So a spacer adaptor was made to hold a Rover release bearing and that it is used as well as the Transit release bearing. See the picture. It means that the clutch cable is in the correct place and the clutch relesae arm isn't pulled too far forward.

The engine mountings will be made up as soon as the replacement rubber mounts turn up. Stay tuned!
thegreathowardo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!