*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk1 4 pot Disc brake conversion

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Mk1 4 pot Disc brake conversion

Postby Aussie Ice Cream Van » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Hi Guys, we have now come to the point that the front brakes need overhaulin. Certain brake parts for the old girl are no longer avalible in Aussie, and front drum brakes, well just suck !!!, especially when your having to pull up 3.5 tonnes of weight, I have plans to put a later model diff with larger drums for the rear later at some point[ if some one can confirm a mk4/5/6, have a larger drum rear ????. Getting back to the front, I would like to put some ventilated rotors around the 300mm dia size, along with some 4 piston calipers with good size pistons, if someone can offer some knowledge of a possible mix and match that might work it would be appreciated, cheers from Aussie guys :D
Aussie Ice Cream Van
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk1 4 pot Disc brake conversion

Postby FredTransit » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 pm

The Mk2 LWB twin wheel gross is 3.5 ton and stops fine. If you can find one the front axle off a Mk2 or Mk3 would do the trick. They are 6 studs BTW.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby DodgeRover » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Some where on here is a thead about someone fitting Jag discs and calipers
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby conrod » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

I think you will struggle to fit 300mm discs inside 14" wheels. You did not mention what front axle your van has, the LWB type with the wide offset wheels, or the SWB style with the flat disc wheels? I know you guys get the single wheel vans in OZ with 6 stud wheels, just to add to the confusion!

FWIW, I have found a combination that I am going to use on my van, (it is a LWB Mk1 with the dual wheel style front wheels) I have bought a pair of "black diamond" front vented discs from the UK, 270x24mm, and am fitting a pair of LDV Convoy 4 pot front calipers to this. They look similar to the Transit ones, but have larger pistons (46mm vs. 40mm for the Transit) and about 25% more pad area, and are physically larger . The best part is, they just happen to bolt straight up to the Transit caliper mount, without ANY mods! Mintex do the M1166 race style pad to suit these calipers, so I have a pair of those on the way too. I am fitting a Territory 4.0 Turbo engine to mine, so need all the stopping power I can get :D

Assuming you have the 6 stud LWB type wheels, you will have to find a pair of these to attach your discs to:

and you will also need the stub axles from a disc braked van, as these are different. The stub axles can be from a SWB single rear wheel van or a LWB with dual rear wheel type van, they are both the same, either Mk1 or Mk2.

This is what the vented discs and Transit calipers look like:

I will put some pics up in the next month or so of the brakes on my build thread, so keep an eye here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=117844&start=15

Conrad
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Vandalism » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:21 pm

if you want to do things the easy way just fit mk2 stuff like i will be doing

mk2 front axle with vented discs and mk2 rear axle from a minibus with a 4.63 diff

if you want to fit later axles thel later front ones have ifs so thats difficult unless you convert the whole front to ifs - indipendent front suspention
Vandalism
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Aussie Ice Cream Van » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Guys, Thanks for your input guys, just wondering how easy it is to find a pair of Mk2 front hub backing plates and Caliper brackets to suit a 4 or 2 pot setup, cheers.
Aussie Ice Cream Van
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby conrod » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:48 pm

sorry very late reply. Look for someone wrecking a MK2 LWB, that will have all of the parts you need.

Here is a pic of the brake conversion I am doing on my Mk1 LWB. "Black Diamond" slotted discs, LDV Convoy calipers (bigger pads and pistons, but still a bolt on job) and Mintex M1166 pads. Discs are 280mm, and probably the largest combination you will fit inside a stock 14" wheel.

Conrad

LDV pad on the left, Transit pad on the right:

conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 pm

STRANGE this brakes issue my mk 1 with drums on the front just passed its mot and stops the brake tester as required easy :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby baconsdozen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Neil wrote:STRANGE this brakes issue my mk 1 with drums on the front just passed its mot and stops the brake tester as required easy :?:

If they are set up correctly the drums are more than adequate for a Mk1.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ClassicRS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:48 pm

Help needed !!!

Just stripped my brakes on my Mk2 and one of the the callipers is beyond repair having a broken casting. It needs new discs too so this thread is a God-send.

Anybody have a part number for the calipers here? I have asked around but the idiot suppliers ask me for the reg. number to supply the parts :roll:
ClassicRS
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:13 pm

you could prob still get them over the counter mate. My factors do them exchange.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby ClassicRS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:57 pm

FredTransit wrote:you could prob still get them over the counter mate. My factors do them exchange.

Most likely I can. I checked the part number in the photo above but that appears toi be a caliper for a solid disc of 14mm thickness. My discs are slotted at 24mm.

Both places Ive been to - the autometrons behind the counter look at me with a blank stare -

"Wots the registration mate?"

"It doesnt matter what the reg is my friend I need a set of front Calipers for an LDV Convoy with slotted discs"

"I need the registration mate"

"But Im putting the calipers on a 1980 Ford Transit ! "

"Wots the registration mate?"

"URR 839X"

"Nah thats for a old Ford Transit mate - we dont do nuffink for antiques - sorry".

"Ok - give me a set of calipers for an LDV Convoy then...?"

"wots the regsitration mate ?" ...............

Perhaps it's a communication problem. Could be the the autometrons are only programmed to interpret Polish, Check, Pakistani and Indian ??? Im a Scot with a very neutral accent so I might have to go to Slough for an interpreter.

Dont really want to down the fleabay route as I'd like to be able to take the parts back if they dont fit.
ClassicRS
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:49 pm

trust me l dont get that. Try Midnight Motors Wembley. They are open till 10pm every night. Can ring em for you if you like.
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby ClassicRS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:47 pm

:D Thanks Fred - I'll give 'em a call
ClassicRS
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ClassicRS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:57 pm

FredTransit wrote:trust me l dont get that. Try Midnight Motors Wembley. They are open till 10pm every night. Can ring em for you if you like.

Top geezer Fred !

Just spoke to Steve and he's got them on the shelf.

"If they dont fit - bring 'em back !" :wink:

Old Skool vans - Old Skool service :lol: :lol: :lol:
ClassicRS
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2