*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How many Mk1s and Mk2s left? (Chat)

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

How many Mk1s and Mk2s left? (Chat)

Postby FredTransit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:42 pm

As Luke didn't want any chat, I thought I would start a new thread. Looking at Luke's thread, would it be better to split it into Mk1 and Mk2? As one post alone is nearly one page, and what will happen when the list/post gets to be more than one page? :lol:
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby madmark » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:43 pm

:shock: just shows you how many of the old bangers are still left and you have most of them! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby FredTransit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:49 pm

I had erm, noticed that :oops: it's suprising when you see them written down in one place how many there are! The thing is, if all of the surviving Mk1s and Mk2s make it into the thread, one post is likely to get to be 3 pages. How iwll that work?
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Neil » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:07 pm

theres about a dozen mk 2 s still workin round here
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Luke » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:09 pm

good thread eh :wink: i got the idea off the fiat forum - dont ask me what i was doing on there- its uno related :oops:
how many mk1/2's left thread here :D

how many do you think we'll get in the end :?: still quite a few i can think of to be added :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby madmark » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:10 pm

:shock: get the owners on here then mate! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby AndyG » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Luke wrote:good thread eh :wink: i got the idea off the fiat forum -

Well I didn't think you got it off the Lancia Beta forum :P :P :lol:

(How many Betas left..............add yours here.

:roll: Never mind :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby FredTransit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:41 pm

Luke wrote:good thread eh :wink: i got the idea off the fiat forum - dont ask me what i was doing on there- its uno related :oops:

how many do you think we'll get in the end :?: still quite a few i can think of to be added :D

That's a tough one, how many in the end. can we add non members? As in "None Member, Shffield - Mk1 SWB 1974)
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Luke » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:47 pm

FredTransit wrote:
Luke wrote:good thread eh :wink: i got the idea off the fiat forum - dont ask me what i was doing on there- its uno related :oops:

That's a tough one, how many in the end. can we add non members? As in "None Member, Shffield - Mk1 SWB 1974)
i think if we were to add none members we would need to include the reg so we didnt double up on them, but people are oftern not keen to have there numberplates on the internet - less relevent with the old vans tho :?
Luke
Site Admin

Postby FredTransit » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Why would you need to include the whole reg? Just part of it. As in A**AHE
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby Luke » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:28 pm

V6TransitDan wrote:V6TransitDan- mk2 supercharged essex 3.0 tractor unit
is this the one off ebay then dan :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby MrMPuk » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:28 pm

Yes, he did say that before.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rolo » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:30 am

Andyg wrote:
Luke wrote:good thread eh :wink: i got the idea off the fiat forum -

Well I didn't think you got it off the Lancia Beta forum :P :P :lol:

You racists; what do you have against Italians? :)

A few years ago there was a study published about the percentage (not number) of different brands of vehicles still registered fifteen years after original registration and the very last one was Alfa with 3%, which was a real pity considering how good they were to drive, even if they rusted far too quickly and their electricals weren't very reliable although I'm told they have now fixed most of those problems.

The one at the top were Volvos, with 62%, which was no particular surprise since they were built like tanks and went for ever.

The one that was a real surprise to me was the brand on second position; Ford with 40%, and the biggest surprise was that Ford never used the results of that study in any of their advertisements, why?

Second position to Volvo is almost the same thing as being at the very top in my view.

However, even within the same brands and models there was another very important factor that seemed to determine the registered life of those vehicles and that was the size of the engine, with the ones with the biggest engines outliving the others (percentage wise) and that, I hope, will mean I'll get to keep my Transit for a very long time yet. 8)

As a by-the-way while on this subject; Argentina's Ramblers also left the factory with bigger and more powerful engines than those available in their country of origin, the U.S.A., and I wonder if Argentina's Ramblers last longer as a result.

By now probably we need another study made to find what percentage of brands and models are still registered 30 or 40 years after initial registration.
Last edited by Rolo on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 drw; Falcon 250 c.i.; 12v fuel pump; belt-driven water pump & fan replaced with 12v water pump & two 12" fans; T5 gearbox; Mark II front discs.
Rolo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby madmark » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:32 am

luke yes it is! :wink:
madmark
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MRspivvy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:26 am

I think there may be more mk2s left than people think, plenty of them seem to keep cropping up having been abandoned in a field or a barn somewhere. mk1s do seem to be a truly endangered species though, I havent seen a non-camper version on the road in about 15 years
MRspivvy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2