*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

A new era

An area for members to hang out and chat, discuss anything transit related!

Moderator: Luke

A new era

Postby Dominik1968 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi Folks. :D

As of five weeks ago the long serving Mk7 red Jumbo has been placed into semi retirement,(she has over 760,000 miles on the clock now,in 9.5 years) i still have her and use it pretty much everyday around town but a Mk8 is my new regular drive.
It's one that was ordered back in late 2015 but two weeks before we were due to put it on the road the work that we had for it finished! So after a chat to the Ford dealer the order was placed on hold and they decided to put it on their demonstration fleet,six months on replacement work is going very,very well so a trip down to the Ford Transit dealer was called for to see what they had for sale or to place an order for another new van only to be told that the same Transit was due to come off the demo fleet so we snapped it up.When we got it five weeks ago it had just over 5,900 miles on the clock,it's now at 15,700!
The only slight problem with it so far was a couple of weeks ago when for some unknown reason out of the blue the adaptive cruise control and collision warning system stopped working,i tried turning it off and on several times but no luck,then i stopped near home for a bite to eat in a pub,went back out to it and bingo all warning light off and working again. :wink:
This Transit is quite a bit higher geared than the Mk7,which is great on the motorways but on the A and B roads it's not so great,i find i'm hanging onto the gears longer and changing down a lot more and sooner than i ever did in the Mk7 and the seat is no where near as comfortable as the one in the old Mk7,even after the use the old seat has had. Personally i think Ford have got a load of seats cheap from the German darkside and they've decided to stick them in the Transit,which is a shame because this is the first Transit i have ever got out of feeling tired and aching. :(
On the plus side,with the body being bigger it's easier for the work that we are mainly doing at the moment which is automotive car parts and panels,some of the crates and boxes that the panels come in would only just fit in the old Mk7 but it's a breeze with the Mk8,
It is somewhat ironic that i deliver parts for one of the German van manufacturers using a Ford Transit,a few times some of the staff have asked about it,what it's like etc and one asked why i did'nt go for one of their vans? So i told him that their vans had a very dated body and that the engines in the Transit were built in the UK. :D
Over the weeks and months i'll give you updates on mileages and reliability etc,warts and all so those who may be looking to move onto a Mk8 Transit will have some idea about how reliable they are.

Best wishes-Regards Dom. :D
20,000 MILES AND COUNTING :!: :D [/img]
Dominik1968
GLX Posse

Re: A new era

Postby Altransit » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Yes, keep us posted, and some piccies would be nice :mrgreen: :P 8) :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby whitemice » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:03 pm

mines done a few thou miles or so an i sti;ll weld it cos i;m a mentalist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIaGWURONRU
'' VOTE Kim Jong Unwell.
Mike writ '' a vote for lABOUR is a vote for islam and a conservative vote is a vote for islam and a vote for liberal is a vote for islam. ''
DBVM ''a vote for UKIP is a vote for islam''
whitemice
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Location: normalised heavily chemtrailed cretinous individual just like you

Postby Dominik1968 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:17 am

Hi folks. :D

Just a quick update on the Mk8 Transit.As i would have hoped no real problems to mention really,the Automatic Cruise Control gremlin came back a couple of times,once for no real reason and the other was in the sleet and the snow on the M1 a couple of weeks ago,i think the sensors may have got blocked by the snow as a little while after it stopped snowing the acc started to work again.
The engine has bedded in quite nicely now it's got a few thousand miles on the clock.the van and i are doing quite a few miles a week at the moment,in fact over the last 13 weeks that i've had her she's averaged 2,100 a week (last week was a touch over 2,300 miles) so she's coming very close to having the 30,000 mile service done. I'll let you know if the Transit needs anything apart from oil etc when it goes in for the service.

Regards Dom. :D
20,000 MILES AND COUNTING :!: :D [/img]
Dominik1968
GLX Posse

Postby Altransit » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:45 pm

8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby tranviper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:46 pm

Engines for the transits along with the 3,2 are made in Port Elizabeth, South Africa which are then shipped all over the world inc the UK, the Ford Dagenham plant make the smaller engines which go into those matchstick box cars you all have over there...which sadly seem to making inroads here too...utter rubbish
tranviper
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Location: Durban, South Africa...where life is chilled out, lots of sun and surf

Postby dumper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi mate what mpg are you getting cheers
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm

i too have done a similar thing , I had 2 mk7 jumbo's that I put big mileage on and now I have a mk8 jumbo trend ,I have now done 47,000 miles on my mk8 and I do love it to bits but im not sure its the improvement on the mk7 it is supposed to be, its not as quick pulling away ,I don't think its a quiet or as smooth as a mk7 and I think the dashboard is not as practical layout as a mk7 , in the mk8 the overhead storage, under seat storage and folding mirrors are great and I love them but things like the go round corner headlights are in imo just a gimmick as is the eco driver messages that comes up on the dash , it is geared wrong too I believe as 6th gear doesn't get used until your over 70mph so if you use it at less than 70 you run the risk of blocking the dpf ,im getting between 34-40 mpg which was the same as my mk7 , the load space in the back is a fair bit bigger than a mk7 which is good but the biggest letdown on the Mk8 is the rear doors not opening 270 degrees like they do on the mk7 but as I said I don't think the new van is a big step forward from the mk7 its more of a step sidewards , I do love my mk8 but maybe not as much as my mk7s
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:32 pm

My mk8 campervan is now done just need to get dvla to change it to a campervan from a 17 seat bus to get the 62 mph speed limiter removed 6th gear is almost useless reckless road is right it’s to high geared even from a rolling start I have to use first gear it’s not as good as my mk6 135 jumbo
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Talk