*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

poor starting

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

poor starting

Postby paul1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi,
can anybody help me, I have a 2013my 2.2 diesel custom van and covered 39,000 miles, the van has been fine until the last couple of months when periodically and now all the time iy will not start, the engine turns over and sounds like it fires but will not start, after a few of attempts of trying to start it it will all of a sudden start and run fine and drives fine until you try and start it again, then some times it will start and another time it will not regardless of being hot or cold, I have replaced the crank sensor and air flow sensor and still the same, have put it on a code reader and it has no faults stored,
Does anybody have any ideas?
paul1

Re: poor starting

Postby sparker000 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:07 am

I don't profess to know what the problem is but just throwing out ideas.

When was the diesel filter last changed ? Could be blocked up causing low fuel pressure to the injector pump. Some of these diesel filters are so fine they can cause problems especially with cheaper fuel.

Fuel pump not giving the required pressure. I have had this recently on diesel engined machine of mine, intermittent starting problem, pump could be heard running but was not giving enough pressure for the injector pump to work.

Are there two MAF sensors on these? I thought I had read that on here, could be wrong. I would think that would throw up a fault anyway along with crank sensor.

So ideas, but hopefully someone will have seen this before and know the answer. Very hard to diagnose problems with out testing things. Start with the cheapest and easiest first. Good luck.
sparker000
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: poor starting

Postby paul1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 am

Sorry, forgot to mention I have replaced the fuel filter along with the oil and filter, but must admit it does sound like a fuel problem. it is booked into a Ford dealership next week but did not know if anybody out there has any ideas?
paul1

Return to Transit Custom