*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK 2/3/4/5) 2.5Di wont start when cold

Before you ask a question, check to see if it's been asked before. We show all the common Transit faults here and it's a good idea to read through these in case they happen to you in the future!!

Re: non starter

Postby john l penny » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:00 pm

gemini wrote:gemini wrote:
john l penny wrote:what year is your transit John
:D barry it is a 1996 2.5 di 76 ps with a bosch pump

Barry :shock: yours doesnt have a cable for the cold start its internal[/quote]
ta barry
JLP TRANSIT MAD
john l penny
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Smooth Hound » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:13 pm

:? what do you mean by internal, my old engine had a cold start, it was a 94, the one ive got now is something like, 96/98 and it doesnt have the cold start on the pump, i was wondering about this as to whether i should take it off the old one and put it on the new, but someone said all it does is increase the acceleration a bit , so all you need to do is accelerate whilst turning over and that would do the same, is there any one who could put me right about this :?:
Smooth Hound
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

u dont use cocking oil do u?????

Postby intransit 89 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:20 am

as in winter it goes abit thick :( usely have to use booster charge like mine
intransit 89
Irrelevant Poster

Re: u dont use cocking oil do u?????

Postby motorwise » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:34 am

intransit89 wrote:as in winter it goes abit thick :( usely have to use booster charge like mine

sounds like you need a new battery mate
Ford Transit - Backbone Of Britain
http://www.motorwise.net
if you want to get on in life, its not what you know, its not who you know, its what you know about who you know
motorwise
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieseldel » Thu May 31, 2007 9:25 pm

hi guys
my own transit had the same problem, from very cold it just would not start,roll it off a couple of yards drop clutch and off it went, did all the usual checks, battery, battery leads, just cranking too slow to " catch " , after fitting a new starter and it making no difference i gave up on it and rolled it off when it non-started, found the fault by accident, decided to give it a service, whipped the sump plug out to drop the oil , and--------------nothing, then oil started to creep out, so thick it came out like grease, took about 2 hours to drain, and literally sat in a pile in the drain tray, no idea why it was so thick, but bunged a gallon of red diesel in it and ran it for 5mins, drained it out , bunged some cheapo oil in with a flushing agent, warmed it up, dumped that out, new oil filter and some 10/40 semi-synthetic, and it started like a new animal, obviously the drag was slowing the thing down hence not enough cranking speed
it was like that before i touched it !!
dieseldel
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby baby stepside » Thu May 31, 2007 9:34 pm

my mate (small independant )still talks of the meticolous maintained taxi minibus that took him 20 minutes to drain the oil on so i think your on to something
why dont people change oil anymore?
its cheaper now than anytime in history
he got the contract for all the taxis by the way-------pity they dont pay their bills on time :shock:
tis eye leclair

mk5 flareside with taillift and im keeping it
baby stepside
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 2.5Di wont start when cold

Postby Andy the Gasman » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Have you considered fitting another battery to the beast? a lot of my friends have done this and no problems, there should be a couple of grommets fitted into the wing bolt a new battery tray on, new battery and a couple of battery cables mine came off a scrapper £2 for the cables, £12 for a new tray no problems since, thank goodness
Andy the Gasman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pugtop » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Until my recent service attempts , my 98 Smiley has NEVER had a starting problem , not in the winter or summer.... has oil changes at Ford intervals and i'm doing less than 8,000 miles a year so services are annual now ;)
pugtop
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re:

Postby Backbone of Britain » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 pm

anglebox wrote:i had same problem with my transit.started all day,but not on cold winter mornings.tried all the usual stuff.then one night bout midnight i stuck in another starter motor.as soon as i turned it over i knew problem was solved.next morning and every other morning was fine.would never have suspected the starter tho.

djswampy wrote:
MrMPuk wrote:A new starter normally fixes it because it's the connection to the starter that is normally dodgy, if you clean the old one up and put it back I bet it works! :wink:

I had the same problem would take ages to start first thing in the morning but once started would fire first turn of the key all day long. I did what was suggested cleaned all the terminals checked the wires and connections but it was still the same.

So one day i decided to change the starter to the big Bosch type ( the old one was the original motorcraft gear reduction type) Fires up before i've even finished turning the key ( and still does).

Swap the starter for the Big Bosch.
Backbone of Britain
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Duncombe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:52 am

Not sure if this will help I had a lot of trouble last winter, I found the alarm and the reverse camera killed the battery overnight I ended up fitting a second battery and the problem was fixed.
Duncombe
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Big_Andy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, and to diesel transits (well any diesel). I recently bought a late R reg 2.5Di Transit Minibus for my expanded family (our Renault Espace was c£$p and just didn't cope with the 6 of us). It's done 140,000 miles, and runs superb, but I too have the problem with cold starting on cold mornings. I resolved the problem temporarily by pulling the air pipe off the manifold, and spraying some WD40 to help the initial burn, and it usually catches, but even on a warm day it then runs as if on only two cylinders for a few seconds and blows blue/grey smoke from the exhaust. Once it's running on all four cylinders it runs fine all day, and I don't have to touch it. Any suggestions?
Big_Andy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chris13 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Seems a coincidense that a "Big Andy" was on the veg oil forum asking about transits then one appears here. Try the fuel leakoff remedy.
chris13
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby executivetravel » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:15 pm

my 2.5di smiley was a pig for this, a shot of cold start used to crack it up every day, not good but easier than pushing...

the aussies have a product like it.................

[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/64035825_a9b50083f1.jpg?v=0[/img]
executivetravel
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aztran » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:16 pm

3rd year running, same problem.............

Every winter my van struggles to start, the engine spins as usual but it just wont fire up, then after a while the battery obviously drains and i have toi get it jumped. The only way i can sometimes get it started is by spraying something in the mainfold, its not easy start, just summat outta old mans garage. It then fires straight away. This does not happen atall in the Spring/ Summer.

Its a 1995 190 LWB 2.5D..............................

Does it have Glowplugs, im sure it hasnt coz there is no pre-heat light?

The starter motor is new

Engine oil done

The battery is fine, the engine spins as usual, just wont fire.......

Only thing is the tappets are dodgy and im sured its got dodgy compression

HELP ME :oops:
Aztran
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Read through the post, the answer has already been posted.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently asked questions!!