*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: Mk5 tourneo jag-van mk2

Postby rimotu66 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Pocketrocket wrote:
rimotu66 wrote:Great work again, you (and others) keep mentioning Red Lead, is it available again or is it a inferior substitute like the one for Creosote? I am down to my last 2gal of REAL red lead.

Abh I couldn't give you a stright answer on that, I "acquired" :lol: it from 1 of my previous employers and has been sat in my garage for nearly 4yrs!
I painted the chassis on my discovery with it a while back with the intention of doing the same as the van but never got round to it but to say its just had that 1 coat its weathered quite well.
It did thin down with thinners quite easily so maybe It was a tin of "old skool" red lead it was from an industrial paint suppliers originally.

8) mine came from ICI and was borrowed (not by me) in the very early 70's so it is definitely 'old school' :D
2007 SWB 110PS GLX Mk7
rimotu66
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby axxez » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Wow, tramp bars! Never saw some on a Transit! 8)
Are they custom made or did you find some that fit? Was thinking about as well, as my car is lifted a bit and traveling a lot in close turns. Do they make the car significantly more stable?
axxez
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:28 pm

According to Wikipedia ...

Red lead

The lead-based pigments (lead tetroxide/calcium plumbate, or "red lead") were widely used as an anti-corrosive primer coating over exterior steelwork. This type of paint might have been applied to garden gates and railings, guttering and downpipes and other external iron and steel work.

Similar red lead-based compounds were also widely used as a jointing compound in engineering, to form steam- or oil-tight flanged joints in pipework.

Red lead in paint was not banned by the 1992 legislation[4] or by more recent EU REACH regulations[5] and the SPAB confirm it is technically available in the UK without special licence.[6] In practice however it has been replaced by safer alternatives (such as red oxide[7]) by most UK/EU paint suppliers; and indeed of those that still supply it, some mistakenly assume it is covered by the 1992 regulations and request approval from a 'competent body' before purchase.[8]

So all you have to do is find someone who'll sell it to you ... if anyone still does ;)
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bennycw43 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:51 pm

Great build this is, you'll have lovely van when you'll done :D
bennycw43
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:16 am

axxez wrote:Wow, tramp bars! Never saw some on a Transit! 8)
Are they custom made or did you find some that fit? Was thinking about as well, as my car is lifted a bit and traveling a lot in close turns. Do they make the car significantly more stable?

They are custom made from scratch, the design is copied from lukes van and adapted to suit mine, not sure if they will make the van any stiffer as reguards to corners or not as ive never driven the van even when it had the di in! :lol:

The next modification if it does need stiffening up will be a panhard rod as the wheels im planning on running on the rear are so wide that any sidways movement will cause them to rub the inner arch tub and outer arch lips, we'll just have to see how it goes first :?
Last edited by Pocketrocket on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
1999 mk5 tourneo (previously jagvan, now Vw PD powered)
2000 mk5 with a jaguar twist :wink: (now dead but will live on)
1996 disco 300tdi 1.2 offroad toy :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:19 am

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:According to Wikipedia ...

Red lead

The lead-based pigments (lead tetroxide/calcium plumbate, or "red lead") were widely used as an anti-corrosive primer coating over exterior steelwork. This type of paint might have been applied to garden gates and railings, guttering and downpipes and other external iron and steel work.

Similar red lead-based compounds were also widely used as a jointing compound in engineering, to form steam- or oil-tight flanged joints in pipework.

Red lead in paint was not banned by the 1992 legislation[4] or by more recent EU REACH regulations[5] and the SPAB confirm it is technically available in the UK without special licence.[6] In practice however it has been replaced by safer alternatives (such as red oxide[7]) by most UK/EU paint suppliers; and indeed of those that still supply it, some mistakenly assume it is covered by the 1992 regulations and request approval from a 'competent body' before purchase.[8]

So all you have to do is find someone who'll sell it to you ... if anyone still does ;)

More than likely mine was a batch of red oxide then, still every coat will give it a fighting chance of lasting longer now especially as I plan to keep applying the dinnitrol every year or 2
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:27 am

bennycw43 wrote:Great build this is, you'll have lovely van when you'll done :D

Cheers ive put quite a few hours in now, getting to the piont where the jag engine is ready to be offered up :shock:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby rimotu66 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:49 am

Pocketrocket wrote:

Cheers ive put quite a few hours in now, getting to the piont where the jag engine is ready to be offered up :shock:

:D Pics please.
2007 SWB 110PS GLX Mk7
rimotu66
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby rimotu66 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:52 am

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:According to Wikipedia ...

Red lead

Mmm, sounds like Stag jointing compound that does, usually used with hemp on steam joints, must have a look into that when I get back to work in 5 weeks time :lol:
2007 SWB 110PS GLX Mk7
rimotu66
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:51 pm

rimotu66 wrote:
Pocketrocket wrote:

Cheers ive put quite a few hours in now, getting to the piont where the jag engine is ready ro be offered up :shock:

:D Pics please.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=161270&start=150
This was my first build, but luke the admin offered me this tourneo as it had been sat on his drive for a while and was much more rust free despite being sat for 4yrs! The jagvan mk1 will eventually become a camper/trailer as i have another basketcase mk5 thats donating Its rear end too! :lol:
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm

Few pics to update with, the rear quarter has some colour on as does the front wing and sills, all thats left to paint will be the bonnet. One of the wheels is drilled round the inside and has some paint on the other is still waiting to be primed.
The old jagvan will be coming into the workshop on weds to give up its springs for the tourneo too which will give me chance to weld the tramp bar brackets on the axle properly 8)
Anyway some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:49 pm

Just a few pics from yesterday morning, replacement springs from the old jagvan fitted (stripped/cleaned/greased/painted first) tramp bars fitted properly, brake lines fitted (just need bleeding up) handbrake fitted and working :lol: and the wheels drilled/painted/lacquered.
Cant wait to get them fitted just need the stainless capheads fitting round the inside rim :D
The engine is coming out of hibernation over the next week as ive got to make up a bracket for the di alternator so that the wiring is simplified and my rev counter works correctly (plus its a 100amp so bit bigger than the jag original) and remove the old exhaust manifolds as im making stailess turbo jobbies simular to lukes (wont be fitting turbos for while tho) little piccy of the steering wheel quick release too,
I love putting stuff back together!! 8) :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Few small update pics, new springs (well refurbed jagvan springs) fitted, rear wheels finished and fitted and ive also fitted most of the interior back, just the rear seats and front carpet to fit once the gear linkage is sorted.
Refitted the tank and fitted the engine/box! Bulkhead needs a little persuasion and teasing here and there but nothing major.
Power steering pipes look like on first glance they will couple stright up to the jag pump as they are both ford units (not tried yet so fingers crossed)
Anyway as usual a few pics :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Pocketrocket » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:07 pm

Little update, the rear seats are in just have the front mat, carpet and steps trims etc once the gear stick linkage is sorted.
Ive also made a custom mounting plate for the di altenator as I wanted to keep the wiring as simple as possible ive also had to change the pully to match the jag engine.
Luke has also let me have my wheels back too but now they are on im thinking that they may need slightly narrower tyres as the 225s stick out a little bit too much :(
The bumper from the old jagvan has been temporarily fitted till ive made my next bumper (its a surprise at what im going to do ;) ) Shes also had a bath too!!
Anyway a few pics :D
Pocketrocket
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mfr » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Looking really good, love the colour. :D
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!