*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice on changing campervan on log book. Should i or not?

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Advice on changing campervan on log book. Should i or not?

Postby tmm » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:26 am

Im Looking for some advice.
Should i leave my conversion as a van or should i change it to campervan on the log book?
If i were to ever sell the van on would is sell better as a campervan on the log book or would people not be bothered if it just stayed the way it is on the log now as a van?
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Advice on changing campervan on log book. Should i or no

Postby robbie.cee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:11 am

Prob sell easier as a camper thats officially re registered?!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
2.9i 24v cosworth v6 LSD now fitted and quad pipes out back

Had
X-Reg Mk5 150ps 3.0 ESSEX V6
MAKE IT FIT

RIP Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
robbie.cee
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vampirequeen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:30 am

When we changed the registration to a campervan we got a £75 refund from the insurance company.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:29 am

Reasons to re-register:

Cheaper insurance (usually).
Cheaper and less stringent MOT
Cheaper price on Ferries, and most toll roads/bridges in Europe.
Re-sale is often easier if all the paperwork is in place, i'e. a propective buyer may be put off if it is not registered as a camper.
Registering is free!

Read the last few pages of the sticky post above - "Needed to get a conversion registered" as some of the first pages now have out of date info and DVLA requirements. (re-registering a campervan).

Please note however that the DVLA will only change your log book to a Motor Caravan if you comply with all of their specified requirements - the details are in the above post.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Cheers for the advice lads :)
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vampirequeen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:09 pm

We're not all lads :D
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:47 am

vampirequeen wrote:We're not all lads :D

:oops: Sorry
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:13 pm

If you have changed the body type from van to motorhome, you are required by law to inform the DVLA.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Do i have to send a photo of this to dval for conversion to be changed on v5?
20170419_125121.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:13 pm

Read this carefully:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/522756/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

It's the latest (June 2016) list of requirements.

The document states that you need to take a bunch of photos that clearly shows that you have conformed to every point that they have listed.

Don't forget to print off the covering letter (link for it is on the PDF). Read the letter first - it has some hints for the photos.

So take distance and close up shots of the details like your gas pipes and fittings. Print them on large photo paper and write a description of what the photo is showing on the back.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:18 pm

For what it's worth, I've just realised that I might have made a major balls up with my cooker. Reading these again it only gives gas or electric as an option!

I must have been working on an earlier version that suggested alcohol stoves were ok as well.

Think I'd better contact DVLA ASAP. :(

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tmm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm

Beaker wrote:For what it's worth, I've just realised that I might have made a major balls up with my cooker. Reading these again it only gives gas or electric as an option!

I must have been working on an earlier version that suggested alcohol stoves were ok as well.

Think I'd better contact DVLA ASAP. :(

Oh sh*t! Best give them a buzz bud make sure.
tmm
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CamperVanBeethoven » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

hectors-tranny wrote:If you have changed the body type from van to motorhome, you are required by law to inform the DVLA.

If you take all the stuff out of the motorhome to fix it (and it's therefore just a 'van with windows') are you supposed to inform the DVLA too ...?
CamperVanBeethoven
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:
hectors-tranny wrote:If you have changed the body type from van to motorhome, you are required by law to inform the DVLA.

If you take all the stuff out of the motorhome to fix it (and it's therefore just a 'van with windows') are you supposed to inform the DVLA too ...?

I don't honestly know - it's never come up for me. My guess would be that if the changes were permanent then you would have to - but just to fix it - no. Ask them. I've found the DVLA very helpful when I've contacted them.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

CamperVanBeethoven wrote:

I could not tell you for sure but my guess is the same as hectors-tranny - that if the change is permanent, then yes, you would have to inform the DVLA who would re-register it from a Motor Caravan to a "Van with windows". If the change was only temporary as you suggest, then no, you would not have to inform them.

I've been in contact with DVLA regarding my alcohol stove - they told me that they were unable to answer my query and that I should contact DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency). They said contact DVLA!?

DVSA did say however, that they could not see any problem with my stove, and agreed that it was a perfectly safe and acceptable option in their opinion. Their advice was to use my stove anyway, as DVLA would probably not even recognise it as an alcohol stove rather than gas. They said DVLA would be more concerned with it being fixed down properly!

I guess I could always get a cheap £20 cartridge gas stove and "fit" that if DVLA don't like the Origo.

It kind of confirms my theory that DVLA are looking more at the overall fit and finish of a conversion, and want to make sure that things won't fall apart after a couple of weeks. It's possibly why some people have their applications turned down even when they have technically complied with all the requirements, while others get accepted even if they don't conform to the letter - short transverse beds is an obvious example.

Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions