*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK5 Gearbox swap

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

MK5 Gearbox swap

Postby Transittim » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 pm

A few years back I had an issue with my gearbox jumping out of second gear, that was reasonably easy fix due to the advice I received here, what made it a lot more expensive was the massive crack they found in the bell housing that was welded up. After a few recent gearbox related issues, I have discovered that the weld has failed and the crack has opened back up again. As last time it was about 2500AUD/1450GDP to have it all repaired and this time I'll need a new box as well and I have only been able to source one locally at 1350AUD/775GBP if I take this into the mechanics it is looking to be an expensive repair and hard to justify given the age of the car.

I have found a possible donor car with relatively low km's about 5 hrs drive away (they are nowhere near as prevalent here in Aus vs the UK) for 750AUD/430GBP so I am thinking about getting it and swapping the box's over. I have looked at the Hayes manual and think I should be able to do it (never swapped a gearbox before) but as the Hayes manual is a little bit vague I am wondering if there is any extra information/guides/pearls of wisdom that would be good to know. I have searched but didn't find a lot of info so I am hoping that means it isn't too complicated, either that or my search skills aren't great. So any extra light that can be shone on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I should only need the vehicle for about 18mnths more so am probably only hoping to replace what's necessary and cross my fingers but if there are other bits's I should definitely replace whilst I have it apart it would be good to know also .
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK5 Gearbox swap

Postby Keef » Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 pm

This guide tells you everything you should need to know viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18935
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby Transittim » Thu May 18, 2017 3:08 pm

Keef wrote:This guide tells you everything you should need to know viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18935

Thanks for that, thought there would probably be something like it but couldn't find it.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Sat May 20, 2017 3:30 am

So the possible donor has a lot more km's on it than it had advertised and the seller isn't technically literate enough to provide me with some detailed photo's so I am on the search to see if I can find another at the moment. The wreckers if they can get one are about 1500AUD/860GPB

I also had some clutch related issues which alerted me to the cracked bell housing in the first place.
A few months back the bite point of the clutch got lower to the point of it being lower than the pedal being fully depressed. I adjusted the pedal and this worked for a few weeks until the clutch cable snapped. I put both of these experiences down to the cable stretching and breaking. The new cable then had to be adjusted so that it was a lot higher than brake pedal and now when the engine is off the gears can easily be selected but when running you can't get it into gear. The clutch was replaced last time I had the issue (about 25,000kn ago) so had thought that it should be fine but obviously, there is an issue there somewhere. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 am

Just having a bit more of a look and it seems to start when in gear with the clutch depressed and will go into third or forth, but once running it doesn't like to go into 1st or 2nd, the crack isn't as bad as I had first thought so I might be able to buy a little bit of time with that if I can fix whatever the other issue is at the moment. I am going to check the oil level and see if that is low and if so if topping it up makes a difference. Also from what I can tell the fork doesn't appear to be bent.

edit, oil level is fine and was changed fairly recently. It will go into 3,4&5th when running but not 1,2&R but it will start fine in any of those gears and will then somewhat shift into the other gears (1&2nd) but once the clutch has been released you need to turn off and restart in that gear to get it to work.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Sat May 20, 2017 5:52 am

Should add, that by not going in, it's not grinding it's like the gear isn't even there.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby twin wheel camper » Sat May 20, 2017 10:11 am

Sounds like the clutch fork is bending when you are pressing it,I know it may look ok but it doesn't take much flex to stop its doing its job :x
Try lying under the van with a light and looking into the bell housing while someone presses the clutch to see if it is flexing or not (still might not be able to tell) other than that it's really gearbox out to properly inspect it :cry:
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Transittim » Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 am

twin wheel camper wrote:Sounds like the clutch fork is bending when you are pressing it,I know it may look ok but it doesn't take much flex to stop its doing its job :x
Try lying under the van with a light and looking into the bell housing while someone presses the clutch to see if it is flexing or not (still might not be able to tell) other than that it's really gearbox out to properly inspect it :cry:

I did have a pretty good look with the clutch pedal being pushed in and out and it seemed OK but might have another look and try to take some pics.

Today, however, it seems to be working OK again. Last night I checked the engine oil level and it was very low so topped it up, took it for a little drive and was operating the same with not wanting to go into 2&3rd but then this morning it seems to be working pretty well, a little bit clunky on occasion in 1st and 2nd but going in with no issues, I can't see how low engine oil could cause this but it's the only change that was made. The only thing I can think of is is that the engine leaks oil and that this could be lubricating something? but when the oil level dropped this stopped happening but I have no idea really. :? I will keep driving it and see what happens I guess.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:26 am

Keef wrote:This guide tells you everything you should need to know viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18935

A big middle finger to Photobucket.
Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transittim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:30 am

twin wheel camper wrote:Sounds like the clutch fork is bending when you are pressing it,I know it may look ok but it doesn't take much flex to stop its doing its job :x

I have been making do with it but it seems that something has now got to the place where it is barely driveable, Gearbox seems to be engaging even with clutch fully depressed (and adjusted almost to the extreme) It sounds to me the same as a lot of others have posted about when their fork is gone but can't see any flex when under there. I guess it could just be bent as opposed to flexing so have attached some pictures in case someone can tell from them.

Transittim
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Technical Problems & Questions