*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Awning rails

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Awning rails

Postby Wadey » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:00 pm

Anyone fitted an awning rail to there van ? If so wich one and how? I want to fit one to mine but I don't want it to look tacky And preferably without putting holes in my bodywork
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Awning rails

Postby botacco » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Wadey wrote:Anyone fitted an awning rail to there van ? If so wich one and how? I want to fit one to mine but I don't want it to look tacky And preferably without putting holes in my bodywork
I saw a Westfalia nugget with black awning rails (l1h1) but I have no idea o how they installed it.

IMHO it was cool, however I cannot see the benefits of the awning rail... a decathlon tarp would work in the same way and for a fraction of the cost :-)

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk
botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby se7en » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am

Looking at the photo I would think they have picked up on the roof rack fittings that already in the body/roof. that's how I fitted mine , although mine is a roller type blind.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby botacco » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:54 am

se7en wrote:Looking at the photo I would think they have picked up on the roof rack fittings that already in the body/roof. that's how I fitted mine , although mine is a roller type blind.
Yess I connected a hook to the roof rack bolts.

Can you post a picture of the roller type?
I considered a Fiamma f45 but it is 10cm high and i need to have the van lower than 200cm to enter in the garage

botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby se7en » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm

I will post a picture in a week or so, I am away at the moment, but my awning sits on the roof and sits up 100mm or so, there is no way round it, it can't mount on the side as the rear side door needs clearance to open.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Wadey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:01 pm

If you have any pictures of how you attached yours to your roof I would be greatfull I need the rail to attach a drive away awning the vans not big enough for all the kids so 2 need to sleep in the awning and not the van !
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richbee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm

se7en wrote:Looking at the photo I would think they have picked up on the roof rack fittings that already in the body/roof. that's how I fitted mine , although mine is a roller type blind.

Did you get some custom brackets to fit to the roof fitting holes?
Do you know what was the hole spacing and thread size?
I was thinking that exactly such a tarp mounting system would be really good, with low profile brackets permanently attached to the roof, to avoid any height issues or wind whistling.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby botacco » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:36 am

richbee wrote:

I was thinking that exactly such a tarp mounting system would be really good, with low profile brackets permanently attached to the roof, to avoid any height issues or wind whistling.
I just bought a couple of hadesive hooks (the ones you can use in your bathroom to hang the towels).
I made a 8mm hole in one hook and i inserted the original bolt.
The second hook is simply connected with the adhesive tape provided with the hook itself...
Total cost 5 euros (because i took the most expensive stainless steel )

Plus nearly 30 euro for the "decathlon fresh tarp"
ImageImage

botacco
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

botacco wrote:
richbee wrote:

I just bought a couple of hadesive hooks (the ones you can use in your bathroom to hang the towels).
I made a 8mm hole in one hook and i inserted the original bolt.
The second hook is simply connected with the adhesive tape provided with the hook itself...
Total cost 5 euros (because i took the most expensive stainless steel )

Plus nearly 30 euro for the "decathlon fresh tarp"
ImageImage

That's great - so simple and cheap to do.
Thanks!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby se7en » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 pm

To anybody that has asked to see a photo of the mounting brackets , I'll post some photos at the weekend when I'm back home.
se7en
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby a11y » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:36 pm

That's bloody superb, such a simple solution. Very keen to see the attachments used for that.

I've been researching Fiamma F45s and the Thule wind out awnings, but didn't for a minute think about the added height. We're already going to be tight for clearance getting it into the garage (oooooh posh) so I think a roll-out type is out.

I used to have a VW T5 and fitted a Reimo Multirail to that, but yet to find similar for mk8 Transit. Had been considering attaching a length of awning rail to the roof and using the kador strip on the edge of an awning/tarp (this sort of rail: http://www.towsure.com/caravan-awning-r ... 0QQAvD_BwE) but as I've yet to take delivery of the van I'm getting ahead of myself.
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wadey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:48 pm

After looking around a lot Iv brought the limpet kit it's very simple 6 suckers and a figure 8 rail
Iv yet to test it though no holes no extra height and when I'm done it still looks like a van !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252709612330
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby yasser » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:13 am

Wadey wrote:After looking around a lot Iv brought the limpet kit it's very simple 6 suckers and a figure 8 rail
Iv yet to test it though no holes no extra height and when I'm done it still looks like a van !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252709612330

As long as those suction cups hold in a decent wind i think thats a good little setup and for £30 you're not breaking the back to try it.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby a11y » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Limpet kit looks like a reasonable solution - however I'd be concerned in higher winds.

I'm thinking of keeping it simple. Fit some roof rails (like THESE), then simply tying the awning onto it - possibly using something like very strong Velcro wrap/straps. I'm considering fitting the roof rails anyway purely cos I like the look of them, not for any real functional use.
2017 Transit Custom DCIV 290 L2 130ps | Also a recovering VWT5-aholic...
a11y
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby khould » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:38 pm

I have those rails and the awning I'm buying have got the Velcro tabs to connect to the rail.

Kev
khould
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Transit Custom