*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gearbox oil leak..

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Gearbox oil leak..

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:24 am

Hi Chasps,
On the weekend just gone I did my normal 6-monthly service on my 2008 Mk7 (140 RWD MT-82 6sp box), new oil, oil, air & fuel filters etc...I hadn't changed the gearbox oil since I've had the van, (~2 1/2 years), so I thought I'd treat it to a nice drink of wiz-bang synthetic Nulon 75-90 gear oil....no major issues and all went well....drives and changes well as it always has, the van has never leaked any oil beit engine or gearbox, she's always been clean as a whistle....however, over the next couple of days I noticed a few drops of oil under the van...it's nice clean gear oil so it's not engine oil.
I ran the van up on my ramps at home and had a poke around underneath....sure enough, engine is still nice and clean but there's gear oil all over the box, subframe and splattered all over back towards the rear. I haven't overfilled it as I only filled to the filler plug as one would normally do, it took just over 2L. The oil seems to be coming from the top of the box and running down the passenger side...I can only assume it's coming from the breather atop the box...the breather has a tube going towards the front and into the bell housing and the tube seems to still be attached.

Is this something others have had issues with or do I need to pull the box to rectify..??....And is it just a coincidence for it to happen just after changing the oil..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Gearbox oil leak..

Postby senid » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Hi. Im Denis in Brisbane . My 2011 140 T350 has done exactly the same thing.
Bloody frustrating....defies logic
Not the first time I've changed the oil either. .go figure
senid

Postby senid » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:16 am

Mine also
senid

Postby senid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:35 am

Did you resolve it?
senid

Postby knobby1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 am

Sorry...I hadn't posted an update..my bad.
Yes, I have fixed the problem, turns out it was just the new oil foaming up and pressurising the box and spewing out of the breather. So I drained the fully synthetic Nulon 75w90 oil (which is GL-4 compliant) and on the list of compatible oils.
I then tried some cheap Castrol VMX-80 gear oil, I degreased all the gubbins under the van, let it dry overnight and took it for a decent drive the next day..sure enough...no more oil spewing out...dry as a Nuns nasty..
I then went onto the Mustang forums as they also have the MT-82 box...and found out which oil they use...fully synthetic Redline MTL is a good one...so I ordered the appropriate amount, filled her up and she's been fine since....and the gear changes are much smoother and the normal stiff cold changes are all but gone.
Well chuffed.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby senid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Right. Guess I'll try that eventually. Valvoline full syn then Castrol full syn....now Redline full syn. This is getting expensive. For now I've extended the breather up high until I've got the patience to look at it again
Where did you buy the Redline?
senid

Postby knobby1 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 am

senid wrote:Right. Guess I'll try that eventually. Valvoline full syn then Castrol full syn....now Redline full syn. This is getting expensive. For now I've extended the breather up high until I've got the patience to look at it again
Where did you buy the Redline?

I bought the Redline MTL off fleabay, there's a supplier fairly local to me here in Sydney, nearly $100 for 3 quarts though....very exe..! :shock: At least it's free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-x-Redline- ... Swv0tVFe2g

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oOplumberOo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:23 pm

iv got a leak on my FWD 2.0 gearbox, its seeping through the join of the bell housing/engine at the front a 1/4 of the way up , ony a few drops over a week but still blady annoying ,
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby senid » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:16 pm

I think this gearbox has a GL-5 requirement
senid

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:37 pm

senid wrote:I think this gearbox has a GL-5 requirement

For Mk7 machines, I believe the RWD MT-82 is only GL-4 requirement. Not sure about the FWD...Although Ford suggests their "WSD-M2C200-C" oil for all their gearboxes...which is GL-4 compliant.

The Redline MTL Fully Synthetic oil I've used is also API GL-4 compliant.

So was the Nulon Full synthetic 75-90 oil I previously tried...but it frothed up summink awful and spewed out of the breather causing a right mess.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:39 pm

oOplumberOo wrote:iv got a leak on my FWD 2.0 gearbox, its seeping through the join of the bell housing/engine at the front a 1/4 of the way up , ony a few drops over a week but still blady annoying ,

Do you know if it's engine or gearbox oil..?? Could be the engine rear main or the front seal of the gearbox..

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oOplumberOo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 pm

knobby1 wrote:
oOplumberOo wrote:iv got a leak on my FWD 2.0 gearbox, its seeping through the join of the bell housing/engine at the front a 1/4 of the way up , ony a few drops over a week but still blady annoying ,

Do you know if it's engine or gearbox oil..?? Could be the engine rear main or the front seal of the gearbox..

Lord Knobrot

its really hard to say at this point, my storey with the van is , i brought it and have done a shed load of work to it in my shed all at once , so i havent driven it , it had a major powersteering leak from the pump which has deffinatly gotten inside or atleast the join of the bell housing/engine, but that should of all been gone by now , reason i say its hard to tell is becuase i think its mixing with the old pas fluid thats still hanging around {red pas fluid} inside the bell? not sure , when i drained the gearbox oil it was around 2litres so its lost abit and it was a similar colour to whats been dripping , at first it kinda smell mineral based , i really need to drive it and keep an eye on it, either way to fix it its a gearbox off joby , are either of those seals you mentioned hard/expensive to replace? thanks...
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby oOplumberOo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:57 pm

right , so now iv had time to drive it , iv come to the conclusion that its engine oil thats leaking , must be from the rear crank seal ,before with the van just sat on the ground oil would collect lower down but now im driving it , its now comming through the starter motor bolts/join so flywheels spraying it up ? , is there a risk that oil could kill my start motor or is the electrical side of that sealed off ? i am preparing myself to remove the box and sort it but idd rather leave it and get some use out of it before doing/spending more on it , just dont like the idea of the start motor packing up becuase it got flooded with oil ...
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:37 pm

oOplumberOo wrote:right , so now iv had time to drive it , iv come to the conclusion that its engine oil thats leaking , must be from the rear crank seal ,before with the van just sat on the ground oil would collect lower down but now im driving it , its now comming through the starter motor bolts/join so flywheels spraying it up ? , is there a risk that oil could kill my start motor or is the electrical side of that sealed off ? i am preparing myself to remove the box and sort it but idd rather leave it and get some use out of it before doing/spending more on it , just dont like the idea of the start motor packing up becuase it got flooded with oil ...

I think there's more chance of it killing your clutch friction plate....being a 2.0L I'm assuming it's a Mk6..?

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oOplumberOo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:10 pm

yea mk6 2.0 di, yea i did think about that also , no signs of clutch slipping as of yet and the previous owner would of been driving it like that for god knows how long , i allways assumed the leak was from the pas pump , i dont think its a bad leak , just slowly accumulating with no where to go but down :( just one thing after another , i'll get there though..
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits