*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Battery draining issue solving?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Battery draining issue solving?

Postby pp5858 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 am

Had the battery empty again after staying few days. MK7 2.2 FWD, 63kw 2007 with 2 batteries. So the 2:nd is close to 0v and have all sorts of issues bc. of that.

I have some extra things attached all the time like navigator on auxilary 12v socket, dashcam, usb chargers, rear camera etc. I think I have tried taking fuse of from the cameras, plugged out the auxilary devices, but still it is the same. I don't think it is the rear indoor light.

I think it could be something like glowplug relay or something but is there an good walkthrough how to check it. btw. charging voltage shows quite high like ~14.9V but not sure if the cheap temp/volt meter installed shows it correctly.

But how should I measure things properly?

I once tried, but noticed that with clamp amper meter there was quite a long time after shutting everything down ~1A drain but it went to 0 or nearly 0 after a while. Could not figure ot within 1-2h what it could have been, but really really would like to solve it out.

It's not plain Finnish cold weather, it is something on the car.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Battery draining issue solving?

Postby mnxtrany » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 am

There are test that can be done with a multimeter - DMM -.
One is called a parasitic draw and the other voltage drop check.

Check the battery V and CCA. Find out about battery faults.

Have a look on google and youtube. Eric the car guy is good.

On some modern vehicles using a multimeter can damage the vehicle electrics/electronics.
On some vehicles there are electrical/electronic units that shut down after the starter key is turned to off.

Be sure to know what/which electrical/electronic system is on your van.
Be sure a DMM can be used on the system.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the dutch guy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:25 am

If the battery is at 0v it is dead. Replace it. Reharging does nothing.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

the dutch guy wrote:If the battery is at 0v it is dead. Replace it. Reharging does nothing.

+1...Both batteries need to be properly "Load Tested"...a poorly battery will often drag the good one down with it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 pm

pp5858 wrote: charging voltage shows quite high like ~14.9V but not sure if the cheap temp/volt meter installed shows it correctly.
But how should I measure things properly?
I once tried, but noticed that with clamp amper meter there was quite a long time after shutting everything down ~1A drain but it went to 0 or nearly 0 after a while. Could not figure ot within 1-2h what it could have been, but really really would like to solve it out.

just read this part again.
get a proper DMM (multimeter) and measure directly on the battery terminals. if you have a 220v battery charger: use it, rip both batteries out, charge them SEPARATLY and leave them for at least 8 hours disconnected.
measure voltage with a DMM, basically anything below 12.3v at this point means you need to trow it away. personally i would replace both of them as soom as one goes below 12.5v at rest. low standing voltage drains the good battery constantly and will drag it down to the same busted level as the broken battery.
if the voltage is higher then 14.5v after driving a while and the batteries are charged you have a problem. the alternator should rise to 14.4v during bulk charge and 13.8v~14v after the batteries are full with engine running.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits