*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom build

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Custom build

Postby Splash Carpentry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:56 am

We are planning to use a very sophisticated laser scanning system and create a 3D model for every type of van that is sold on the U.S. market. If we succeed, we will have a database with over a hundred models and we will be able to create everything from shelving to cabinets and even bed frames that would fit perfectly. Please let us know what your thoughts are, your feedback is very important to us. Thank you in advance, the Splash Carpentry team.

Video spot:
http://bit.ly/2yzGIeP
Splash Carpentry

Re: Custom build

Postby Beaker » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 pm

I think that is a brilliant idea, and to be honest, I'm suprised that no-one has done it sooner. To have all the critical dimensions for each variant of van, stored in a computer 3D model that your design software can utilise, would make planning and designing a breeze.

A CNC router would make short work of cutting all the furniture components needed - even if they were to one-off requirements.

One of the things that frustrated me when looking to convert my own van was the lack of options available. Loads of companies offering basically exactly the same thing. The only options being different veneers, colours etc. Everything all ends up looking the same with the same layouts used all the time.

Doing it your way, if a customer does not want a rock and roll bed for example you can still use your 3D model to suggest alternative layouts,bed positions and sizes, kitchen and cupboard sizes and shapes, that you will be able to guarantee will work, and all before you cut a thing.

I wish you all the best. :D
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby jonnyboy1958 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Well said Beaker, most t4/t5's look exactly the same inside.
Transit swb 2001 t260 Campervan fwd 2.0
jonnyboy1958
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ceurieusneus » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 am

As Beaker has said before...
Me I am not a computer expert.... but...
It would be wonderful for DIY to buy furniture that really fits.
The time that you could save on measuring and fitting...
The time it took me to fit out my camper....
If you could chose different layouts or it would be possible, they make the furniture, to your own ideas/drawings would make it even better.
Writing was not invented to look for spelling errors :wink:
Ford Anglia '62, Mercedes 200 '86, Transit ambulance/camper '88, Mercedes CE300 '89, caravan Puck '75
My ambulance conversion
ceurieusneus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Splash Carpentry » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:24 am

Thank you for your feedback! I talked to many people and everybody sees this idea differently. I think we will
organize and prepare to customize and be very flexible.
Splash Carpentry

Postby vanvliet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:34 am

Splash Carpentry wrote:We are planning to use a very sophisticated laser scanning system and create a 3D model for every type of van that is sold on the U.S. market. If we succeed, we will have a database with over a hundred models and we will be able to create everything from shelving to cabinets and even bed frames that would fit perfectly. Please let us know what your thoughts are, your feedback is very important to us. Thank you in advance, the Splash Carpentry team.

Video spot:
http://bit.ly/2yzGIeP

Great idea but this is a UK forum , not US , so how about someone doing this for our transits? As an example I do not think that the Transit Custom high top is sold in the USA and besides this all vehicles in the USA are Left hand drive
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Beaker » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:58 am

Yes this is a UK based forum, but we have have many active members across Europe as well as several from Australia and North America, and they are all left hand drive.

The guy who owns Splash Carpentry is originally from Romania so you can't blame him for looking for opinions in Europe - after all European opinions are just as valid as American ones, even if the practicalities are different. He is just doing his market research.

You never know - if this idea takes off big time, Splash could be offering their services to us Brits in a few years time.

As you say though, it would be good for someone over here to do this too.
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Happy to get ideas from anybody in any country and am just jealous and frustrated that we can't have this kind of work done for us in the UK :) . I am in the process of trying to get camper conversion work done on my van and would love to be able to send detailed plans based on laser measurements to potential converters.
Converters could save a huge amount of time if this system was linked to CAM. I have had quite a few converters telling me that attaining templates for Ford vans is just too much effort when they have enough work from VW customers for which ( old style) templates are readily available
Laser scanner kit like the Kaarta range seem to be coming on the market at more affordable prices so there is some hope.
So, good luck with your project Splash!
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Splash Carpentry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Thank you for the support.
We just launched a very ambitious campaign on Kickstarter hoping that in a few years we will be able to have a van protection kit for every model sold in the United States. Please let us know what you think. Your opinion is very important to us.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1855385287/van-protection-kit
Splash Carpentry

Return to Camper vans and conversions