*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Early transits with no MOT.

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Re: Early transits with no MOT.

Postby Keef » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 am

Neil wrote:so will I,,,, the whole thing is a complete load of baloney don't know who thinks these ideas up,, I wonder where your insurance company would be if someone hit you head on at night with 1 headlight flickering 4 bald tyres and no brakes

They'd probably take the same stand as if you had a months MOT left, 1 headlight flickering 4 bald tyres and no brakes.

All they are doing is transferring the complete responsibility of keeping the vehicle roadworthy to the owner with no Government checks.

Even with an MOT test they can only be sure the vehicle is roadworthy for one day a year and if an owner wants to, they can still take their vehicle to a garage once a year for a check.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby baconsdozen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:48 am

Why couldn't they just leave things alone?
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 1958 harry » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:46 pm

It works fine with pre 60 cars so I don't understand the issue?
VW Transporter Combi van
VW Beetle 2.0 tintop
Audi Q3 Quattro SLine Plus

Grown up in/around Transits, my dad has a 2010 115 T350 Transit
1958 harry
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 pm

There aren't that many pre 60 cars about that you would want to run as a daily, pre '77 there's loads, personally I can make an objective judgement as to my own vehicles roadworthyness but for many people who run maybe a 20 year old mondeo that only gets fixed when it fails a test the prospect of buying a £600 sh***er that will never need to be fixed as it's mot exempted will be a big attraction.
I've seen enough stuff that got run on exemptions until it was absolutely hanging and that was just as showmans / recovery/ works truck/ farmers limited use!
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Neil » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:23 am

that's right theres hardly any pre 60 cars about these parts except for shows but there is quite a lot of daily drivers up to 77
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Muttley » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Idiots who wont maintain their vehicles will just get bent MOTs anyway so it doesnt make much difference :wink:
Expert burns receiver.
Bodger Extraordinaire!!
Old Fords never die, however, mine are on life support
Fallen in love/hate with Mk6s
Muttley
MK3 Massive

Postby baconsdozen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

I'm surprised bent MOTs aren't for sale on ebay along with V5s,DIN and number plates and all the other ringing gear.When it all goes tits up it will be the genuine enthusiast who gets hit.
baconsdozen
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby steve andrews » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Wouldn't trust the government with a packet of crayons
never mind getting some legislation ironed out
Only Milk And Juice Come In 2 Litres....
steve andrews
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby captain hook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 am

baconsdozen wrote:I'm surprised bent MOTs aren't for sale on ebay along with V5s,DIN and number plates and all the other ringing gear.When it all goes tits up it will be the genuine enthusiast who gets hit.

I'm a MOT Tester and we have just moved premium in East London.

A "foreign" chap came in this week asking for my email address and. ..
Do I take PayPal as he wanted to email his car detailsover to get a MOT!
Believe me he's not the first....
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DougT » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Following up on this even though it seems most will still get MOTs, the requirements for "substantial change" have now been altered.

It is still up to the owner to say that vehicle has not been subject to "substantial change" to gain MOT exemption - difficult to see how that will work but that is what they have decided.

15% power increase stuff has been scrapped.

Any mods made 30 years previously on a rolling basis will not count towards "substantial change". So mods made prior to 1988 will not count.

Changes to axles will count as "substantial change" except if they improve safety - so disc brakes on early Mk1's should by OK but I would suspect Mk3 axles in Mk1 & 2s would count as change.

Most importantly, engines that are changed to what was in production at the time will not count as change, neither will capacity increase of same type of engine. So putting Essex V6 in Mk1 should be OK.

This is the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf

Doug
DougT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby captain hook » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Unbelievable but we, MOT Testers, have not received any official notice yet!!
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bulls in transit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Reads like Lhd to Rhd conversions are not going to be able to be tested as historic with that change of type (within ten years of end of production) clause

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:32 am

bulls in transit wrote:Reads like Lhd to Rhd conversions are not going to be able to be tested as historic with that change of type (within ten years of end of production) clause

how will they know if its been swapped? most just buy the historic scrapper and swap the lot
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby bulls in transit » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Neil wrote:
bulls in transit wrote:Reads like Lhd to Rhd conversions are not going to be able to be tested as historic with that change of type (within ten years of end of production) clause

how will they know if its been swapped? most just buy the historic scrapper and swap the lot

Databases?,same way as when I give my chassis no to motomobil they send me parts for a LHD mk1(correct threads etc).
Though the same ‘how will they know’ here in Spain(but was pretty confident as vans original) at the start of registering/testing it as Historic here,12 month’s later it’s through,but during process came pretty obvious they had details they were matching to van during process,know it’s a different country but information has no boarders(obviously don’t know if the same german testing equipment is coming to a test centre near you),but assuming someone else is ignorant of facts just makes you the ignorant party

bulls in transit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:40 pm

data bases :?: yes that's fine but if I have a lhd fire van and buy a rhd breaker van I then swap all the rhd bits on to the lhd van including its vin tag and reg plate then how are they going to know :?: :?:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

PreviousNext

Return to Mk 1 & 2