*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Advice please! Planning to buy MK6 350 duratorq camper

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Advice please! Planning to buy MK6 350 duratorq camper

Postby kiffers » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi there. I am a new member to this board and I am a complete novice around vans so please bear with me and excuse my layman's ignorance! With any replies, which I would be very grateful to receive, please imagine you are talking to your nan or, if your nan is a mechanic, imagine you are explaining something to your 5 year old child! :D

I am in the process of looking for and then buying a transit to head off into Europe. I have been researching a lot over the last few months and decided that a Ford Transit is my best option. My budget is fairly limited. I have now found something I am VERY interested in and I would be so grateful for any tips, advice things I should look out for when I go and view it.
The specifications are:-
- MK6 350, 90 duratorq DI engine 2.4.
- 2000 registered. LWB, hi-roof.
- 112k on the clock.
- No advisories on the last MOT (done in July 2017 and I have checked online to confirm this).

The conversion is simple and exactly what I have been looking for. I am waiting to hear whether it is registered as a camper on the V5 but I think it probably is.
Anyway, my questions for you lovely people are:-
- Is there anything I should look out for particularly? I have been driving for 20+ years and consider myself a good driver. I have always tended to drive bangers so know what an older vehicle sounds like and feels (I am currently driving a very battered y reg Ford Fiesta).
- The fella is asking for £6400 which I think might be a bit steep. What do you think?
- What things are likely to go wrong? Weaknesses, things to consider getting looked at before I head off around Easter time.
- Is it easy(ish) to get parts in Europe for these vans?

Thank you so much in advance of any help or pointers you might be able to give me!

:D
kiffers

Re: Advice please! Planning to buy MK6 350 duratorq camper

Postby dumper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 pm

The first thing to for on a transit of that age is rust if you go see it when thay don’t no you are coming try to start it up when it’s cold listen for any timeing chain rattle if it only does it for a second the hydraulic adjuster is having to take up the slack in the chain as the guides are worn have a look in the service history see if it has had one neve tow start it as it can even if chain is spot on it can jump a tooth and destroy the valve gear and all the usual things on any used vehicle as the price even a self built camper commands a higher price as just to build a basic one are never cheap if has been a camper for a long time it will not had a lot of abuse and should have been well looked after.
Another thing to think about is how is heavy is it empty it is very easy to overload a camper van especially if you are going abroad I go to Ireland fishing and a few years back I loaded up the van with all the beer and fishing gear first for two weeks then every thing else you’d need got Ireland to pick up the bait just happen to park on the weight bridge the guy is the store said to me hope you don’t whant to much bait as your van is 3700 kgs now without us in it and we are no lightweights
Hope that helps
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby kiffers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks for those tips mate, I had thought about the weight (GLW is it called?) already but thanks for the reminder.
My fiesta has a chain which makes it sounds a bit like a sewing machine but I didn't know the MK6 also had one (and obvs it is a diesel engine which I know is different to the Fiesta) so I will look out for that as well, thanks.
I think the van has been a camper for a fair bit of time. It looks tidy from the photos (although I know that doesn't necessarily mean much) and I am going to have a look underneath it when I view it.
The MOT history doesn't seem to show loads of words like 'corrosion' which is reassuring!
I love the van so I am willing to pay the asking price but might try and knock him down a bit - if you don't ask, you don't get!

thanks again for your ideas.
kiffers

Postby 4x4 tranny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 am

hi
never saw you mention weather its a manual or ASM gear box, watch the ASM gear box ones.
4x4 tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:02 am

Price is a bit steep.

Get underneath and take a good look at the chassis main members around the rear axle area.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kiffers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:02 pm

4x4 tranny wrote:hi
never saw you mention weather its a manual or ASM gear box, watch the ASM gear box ones.

It's a manual, an automatic just isn't the same :roll: thanks though
kiffers

Postby transit-town » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 am

I reckon the early mk6 if properly looked after are a decent motor,more reliable than tdci models,also for some reason 00/01 didn’t rot as much as latter vans
transit-town
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 am

transit-town wrote:I reckon the early mk6 if properly looked after are a decent motor,more reliable than tdci models,also for some reason 00/01 didn’t rot as much as latter vans

A lot of early mk6 were built at Genk so don't rust like the Southampton built vans :wink: also the tdci's only cane in the highest power (PS) of each engine, 2.0L - 125PS, 2.4L - 135PS and didn't go on sale till mid 2002 :)

Did I read it right 6500 sovs for a 2000 plate van :shock: N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mistericeman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:47 am

Watch out for rust....

Other than our 90/350 being a bit "revvy" at motorway speeds it's made a great camper for us.....

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stollysmith » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:52 am

We have the same model as yours but converted but Autosleeper. Other than the fuel pump dying on us at 76k it has performed well (touch wood). I had cruise control fitted which has made it a lot easier on long motorway drags. I get underneath every year and apply a liberal dressing of warmed-up waxoil. Only rot is at the rear lower corner of the outer sill.
Stollysmith

Return to Camper vans and conversions