*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk5 What am I missing?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk5 What am I missing?

Postby bagotransit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:49 am

Hi All. Noob Transit owner here. Also noob to diesels and turbos but do know my way around a spanner.
Just bought a Mk5 with an Aussie Winnebago motorhome on the back. Twenty years old but only 78,000 kms on the clock.
looking through the paperwork, it only has 2 recorded services plus a diesel injector pump replacement at 60,000kms. Paperwork for pump replacement says original replaced with mechanical pump to eliminate the electronic issues in the old pump. That's all it says.

So I'm just starting to clean up under the bonnet but have found a couple of things I'm not sure about.
According to the VIN plate, engine is 100ps.

First Pic shows a vacuum line that comes from the top of the air-box but the other end is not attached to anything. Looked all over but can't work out where it should go.
Second Pic shows an empty 3 pin wiring socket just near the EGR thingo? Am I missing some wiring?
Third Pic shows what looks like a (severly leaking) blanking plug in the intake maninforld. Is this normally sealed with a gasket or 'o' ring or sealant of some kind?

AirBox Vacuum.jpg

Wiring Plug.jpg

Intake Blank plug.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bagotransit

Re: Mk5 What am I missing?

Postby twin wheel camper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:33 pm

From that last picture you have a standard Lucas epic pump not a mechanical pump, can’t see a throttle cable and the diesel pipes look like standard electronic pump. :(
twin wheel camper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Noctule » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Looking at mine, a turbo with a Bosch pump, the hose out of airbox goes into the top of the (vacuum?) unit that's bolted to the bracket above it. it's above the filler cap in your third picture. You'll need to unbolt the unit to access the stub the hose goes into.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bagotransit » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 am

Thanks.
Got the vacuum pipe back on.

Pump - now that I know what I'm looking at, It is a Lucas pump so maybe they ended up replacing the buggered one with a standard pump. Who knows. Cost the PO 4,500 Aussie dollars though!

Still wondering if there should be anything plugged into the 3 pin socket on (what looks like) an airflow sensor or valve on the intake manifold just beside the EGR thingo. See second pic in my first post above.

I'll remove the blanking plug/bolt on the intake manifold (third Pic above) and use some thread sealer to see if I can get it to stop leaking black goo!
bagotransit

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits