*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cheap rear view camera - bit confused

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Cheap rear view camera - bit confused

Postby HuMpH » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm

I got a cheap numberplate camera to connect to my new head unit but little confused regarding wiring.The instructions were printed so small I can't see em even with a magnifying glass :oops:
Anyway it comes with an extension cable that reaches cab from back door area, now the camera has 2 sockets one red one yellow, the lead has one yellow plug and a single red wire.
There is also a small lead with what looks like speaker cable, one black and one red, my guess is that the small lead plugs into the red camera socket and black wire is earth with red wire going to reverse light feed.
Ext cable yellow to camera yellow and again red wire to reverse feed, now in cab I will have ext cable yellow to plug into head unit camera input but am stumped where red wire goes :oops:
I could be totally wrong and tbh my brain is mashed the more I look at it the more confused I get.
WD_7DB3.JPG
WD_FB3D.JPG
12__14604_1504357256_1280_1280.jpg

Sorry for long winded post but any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
125 T350 Lwb Hitop Rwd now sold.
Mk7 110 T300 Fwd
T-shirts preview Here
HuMpH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Cheap rear view camera - bit confused

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Yellow video red power if I remember connect the black plug to reverse light and plug it into the red plug yellow goes back to the radio I thinks..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HuMpH » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:Yellow video red power if I remember connect the black plug to reverse light and plug it into the red plug yellow goes back to the radio I thinks..

Yes I would agree with you, it’s just that red wire I can’t fathom unless it’s used for a small monitor and I can just ignore it.
Btw where did you route your cable ? Even using extension it looks short to get up behind dash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mk7 110 T300 Fwd
T-shirts preview Here
HuMpH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:55 pm

Red is power. Directly on 12v
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richgold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Ok...
the long wire with the yellow plug at each end with a red wire running with it is your video and trigger lead and will need to be run the whole length of the van from your headunit to your camera. In the cab with your headunit out, one yellow end of this lead should be connected to the Reverse camera input number 13 on your head unit. The red wire that is with it should be connected to the Reverse control cable input number 12 on your head unit.
At the rear of the van the other yellow end of the cable with the red wire should be connected to the yellow plug on your camera. The red wire that is with it should be connected to the reversing light + behind your light cluster, also connect the red wire on the black power plug (which you may need to extend with another piece of wire so that it reaches) to the same reversing light + at the same time. The black wire on the power plug should be taken to ground on the body somewhere near the camera.
Wiring it this way will make your headunit display what your camera sees when you engage reverse, as it should.

The red wire that runs inside the long wire with yellow plugs on each end is the wire that tells your headunit to automatically switch to rear-view when you engage reverse by sending 12+ to the headunit from the rear light letting it know your backing up.

If you struggle to find the reverse wire behind the light then use a meter to establish exactly which one it is, and make sure you know youre right and what your connecting to as if you are wrong the the best outcome is it wont work and you'll blow your fuses - the worst outcome is you'll fry your wiring.

Another slightly better way of doing it is to run an extra ignition switched live to the back of the van to power the camera independantly of the reverse light, you could run this wire when you route the long yellow-plugged video wire along the length of the van. Although I would just stick to the way of doing it above if any of this is confusing.
Last edited by richgold on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richgold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:52 pm

I just noticed this is a numberplate camera - so you have the added ball-ache of feeding all the wiring though the wiring chanel into the rear door, which is less fun than drowning.
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:59 pm

You can get wifi ones for very little cost, mine was fitted to a freelander so it was long enough, but the video cable is a standard and common cab,e you should be able to buy from Marlins etc it's basically the same as runs from your tv aerial to your TV, and I'm sure you could mount the camera somewhere else if you don't want to feed wires through the door..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richgold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Thequeenscheese wrote:it's basically the same as runs from your tv aerial to your TV

The lead pictured above is a shielded RCA lead with a trigger wire, a tv antenna lead is made from a male and female Belling-Lee connector and some coax, so not the same.

If you need a longer wire and want the same thing here's a 10m one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-Car-RCA- ... SwPAxaSyQB
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HuMpH » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:50 pm

richgold wrote:The red wire that is with it should be connected to the Reverse control cable input number 12 on your head unit.

That's what I missed somehow :oops: I just didn't register the info at number 12
Thanks a lot lads,my unit will be here Monday so now I can get the wiring in first thing. I bought the bigger unit that fills the original hole in dash and is supposed to be a plug in and go.
Mk7 110 T300 Fwd
T-shirts preview Here
HuMpH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richgold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:33 pm

HuMpH wrote:That's what I missed somehow :oops: I just didn't register the info at number 12

No worries, but you have to get these things right first time as you can damage the kit your trying to install if you get it wrong.
If you think you'll have trouble finding the reverse wire then get a small multimeter for a tenner and use that, they pay for themselves in the long run.

Yesterday I fitted an Amber Valley reversing alarm and £150 worth of Britax interior lighting to a 67 plate Sprinter and when doing the cab light even I got the polarity the wrong way and didnt see it until I used the meter to check it before it was powered up, and I've fitted out half of the vans in the depot I work at.

A meter will save problems and time and money if used correctly and everyone who does little jobs like this should own one.
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Thequeenscheese » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:07 pm

richgold wrote:
Thequeenscheese wrote:it's basically the same as runs from your tv aerial to your TV

The lead pictured above is a shielded RCA lead with a trigger wire, a tv antenna lead is made from a male and female Belling-Lee connector and some coax, so not the same.

If you need a longer wire and want the same thing here's a 10m one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-Car-RCA- ... SwPAxaSyQB

Don't be soft it's a wire that can be extended, the same as a coax, or the same as composite /rgb cable that goes from a DVD player to a tv, as for the trigger wire well you can buy wire but yes I'm sure you can buy the correct extention piece for not very much anyway, you ain't gonna break anything just connect it up these things are quite resilient..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby richgold » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:21 pm

How am I being soft?
Youre telling someone the wire he has is the same as the wire that goes from his tv to the wall socket, which it isn't.
A tv aerial lead has the wrong plugs on it for starters.

I suggest rather than call me soft, offer the correct advice if your going to offer any at all.

And as for saying "just connect it up you wont break anything" thats just daft, as you could easily break something.
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Thequeenscheese » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

It's the same type of wire it might be wrapped differently but the core wires ate the same if not better spec, I didn't suggest he'd could connect them directly but I was suggesting buying bare wire and adding correct ends or buying a composite video extention as that's all the wire is exactly the same as a yellow composite/AV lead that goes from a did/video to the tv... It ain't rocket science it's a wire..
2.2 tdci T280
Thequeenscheese
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby HuMpH » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:30 pm

One more quick question on wiring..sort of related lol, unit now installed just need to connect rear camera which Im about to do today.
But after fitting the head unit I went into settings to set up swc ect, all went well everything working but then noticed the buttons on unit do not illuminate.I went into setting and there is a section to choose different colours, when I choose one it lights up the buttons for a second or so then they go off again.
Does anyone know which pin in the original muliplug may feed this ? I do have the small loom which has camera input and it has orange wire for illumination so I could find a switched live and connect to that but it's a bit strange they light up when selecting colour but then go off again.All ideas welcome :lol:
Looks pretty nice..
WD_8466.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mk7 110 T300 Fwd
T-shirts preview Here
HuMpH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm

HuMpH wrote:One more quick question on wiring..sort of related lol, unit now installed just need to connect rear camera which Im about to do today.
But after fitting the head unit I went into settings to set up swc ect, all went well everything working but then noticed the buttons on unit do not illuminate.I went into setting and there is a section to choose different colours, when I choose one it lights up the buttons for a second or so then they go off again.
Does anyone know which pin in the original muliplug may feed this ? I do have the small loom which has camera input and it has orange wire for illumination so I could find a switched live and connect to that but it's a bit strange they light up when selecting colour but then go off again.All ideas welcome :lol:
Looks pretty nice..
WD_8466.JPG

Isn't there a wire which attaches to the vehicle lights via the multi plug at the rear??, I think they light up when the vehicle lights are on, mine do. I think it's the #9 wire "Illumi control cable".

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits