*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Anyone recognise these symptons?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Anyone recognise these symptons?

Postby Boghopper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:50 pm

Freezing cold evening, start the van from cold, very lumpy for about 15 seconds and a stink of smoke in the van. Drive off down the road and the van won't accelerate, nothing on the pedal. Carry on for about a mile and the throttle starts working as the van warms up. Go to boot it on a straight and the drivetrain light flicks on, then off. Anyway, carry on with my journey, around 30 miles, and don't go over 2000 rpm, runs perfect at these revs. Get home and have two codes: P0489 and P010F. One is the EGR crap and the other is the MAF sensor. The van was perfect this morning and then goes wrong on startup from cold this evening. Could it just be the MAF sensor gone down? Anyone else ever experienced anything like this? It's getting to that age now, 56 plate. Only done 55,000 easy miles though.

Cheers.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Anyone recognise these symptons?

Postby Boghopper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 am

Not so cold this morning, everything thawed out. Van was hard to start. Drove gently for 30 miles and ran perfect. Something silly it seems.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:02 am

Have you checked your glow plugs mate? And the MAF sensor's are cheap to replace. I had cold starting problems and blue smoke issues, checked the glow plugs and all four were knackered! Mind you, my van has done 130k now! :(
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Boghopper » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:22 am

Kenton, I changed all four last winter because of trouble starting. This is something different, it shut down my accelerator pedal yesterday. I will swap the MAF sensor over with another I have, and see what that does. I am sure the freezing weather is affecting something. Can't do anything for a day as using the van and my garage has something else in it, too dark outside to do anything in the evening. Every winter my vans seem to go wrong, it's worse than looking after an OAP.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 pm

Had a look today, saw that the nearside intercooler pipe was blowing, where it joins the actual intercooler. Reseated the hose and tried it, still the same though. Bugger to start, but once warmed up it is alright, until you floor it and then the drivechain lamp flicks on. It seems to get progressively better as the engine warms up, but like I mentioned, once you floor it, the lamp comes on. It goes off as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator pedal. Took the MAF sensor out and had a gander at it, nothing obvious, could see a resistor in there, was a bit dirty, but nothing serious, how dirty is bad for these things, do they need to be immaculate?

Does anyone know what the score is with the fault codes? Do I have to clear the old ones before I can expect the van to sort itself? I was hoping going for a drive might sort it out. I suppose that if the drivetrain lamp illuminated the fault must still be there.

I have bought a new EGR actuator/motor am going to see if that might be the problem as one of my codes is P0489. Will blank the blody thing this time as well. I have had the engine management light illuminated for five years thanks to that EGR shite.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Well, took the old EGR motor off and saw that the spindle and bearings have snapped off on the actual valve, great, just bloody great! Anyway, removed all the broken bits and tried the new motor and it has stopped the MIL lamps coming on, so all those years my motor must have been knackered on my EGR.

I thought the EGR motor I purchased was pretty good, couldn't really see any difference between it and the genuine article, it even had the same casting marks. I know some SKF parts are the same as Ford except they grind the Ford emblem off. Anyway, if sopmeone has a bad motor on their EGR they can fit one of these and save great deal of hassle. I am going to have to take my manifold off next which will be a fantastic experience and I can think of nothing better to do. I am going to try the van first with the new motor and the blanking plate and see what it's like.

Pretty much identical and felt as good as the old one.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby g-man » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 am

how much and where from?......got mine from chinky town for about 85 quid, worked like a dream
g-man
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Boghopper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:28 am

I purchased it from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-VALVE-FO ... SwCU1Y3gyv

It also had a gasket enclosed.

I had another gander at my EGR valve and the actual stem part of the valve is still intact, it is just the spindle piece that carries the two bearings that has snapped. I am going to manufacture my own replacement. Ford can eat my cheese. You can get the 693ZZ replacement, minature bearing here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/693ZZ-3X8X4- ... zoCDDqxwIw
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby scruf0_5 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:55 pm

hi bog hopper
i just read through your posts
some great information
1 little part wasn't very impressed with was when you mentioned skf
i know that company quite well
what i would say is as a multi national company they defiantly do not grind marks off any parts from any other manufacturers !!!
i also know that as a company they wouldn't be happy with a comment of such
i only mention for your own sake as the statement you have made could be classed as liable/slanderous !!

but as a response to the comment regarding parts i do know that skf do supply a multitude of parts to manufacturers from kia- f1 cars
chances are is skf possibly supply the parts to ford with their logo stamped on as i know they do with lots of other company's worldwide
scruf0_5

Postby Boghopper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 pm

1 little part wasn't very impressed with was when you mentioned skf
i know that company quite well
what i would say is as a multi national company they defiantly do not grind marks off any parts from any other manufacturers !!!

What are you going to do, inform on me to the thought police? I couldn't care, as I stand by what I said. I have personally purchased SKF parts for my van and they are absolutely identical to the Ford items I removed. The only difference being is the Ford logos and numbers have been stamped out with cross-hatched punch marks. The last thing I bought that was like this was their accessory belt tensioner kit: SKF-VKMA34107, it was exactly the same as the Ford one except the Ford identifiers were destroyed. Even the idler pulley had the Ford marks destroyed. Loads of parts suppliers do it as they source their parts from the same location and repackage them. Even BMW do it with Lemforder parts.

Here is another perfect example:

Genuine Ford part.

Brand-new, non genuine part with Ford identifers ground off.

As I mentioned I stand by what I said concerning SKF as I have SKF parts with with the Ford marks hatched out. Needless to say, a lot of their newer bearings are now Chinky rubbish as they have farmed them out to the communists in Beijing.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby liteace » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:29 pm

The manufacturers of these parts do grind off vehicle brand names.

If for example ford contracted SKF to manufacture and supply parts only to ford and not the public for 3 years then that's the contact, if SKF have 1, 10, 500, a million of these parts left over they will grind of the vehicle brand, part number and sell the parts to whoever they can.

I've seen it loads of times with loads of different manufacturers supply parts to the automotive industry, don't forget a lot of parts on all vehicles are supplied by outside manufacturers
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Boghopper » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Here is the actual SKF tensioner bracket from the VKMA34107 kit. This is the exact same manufacturer as Ford Genuine Parts use, "LITENS" of Canada. The only difference is that SKF have used a small miller to grind out the Ford oval logo from the casting.

Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Kenton » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:17 am

All true, i have had my fair share of parts with the logo ground off. From plastic body parts, to indicator lenses.....
2005 T230 LX 90 TDCi LWB
ST 17" alloys
Focus ST170 seats
Fiesta Zetec S/W & G/K
Mondeo Inner Door handles & vents
Sport spoiler
Blacked h/lights
Side bars
Facelift rear lights
Lined/carpeted
Lowered on Gaz kit
110 intercooler
De-Cat
Remapped
Kenton
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Boghopper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm

I'll just update this thread so as to finish it, as so many threads never get finalised and no-one ever knows what the outcome was.

Anyway, the little noise I heard and the smoke smell was the small spindle snapping. The van being a tuss to start was because the valve was no longer working. The EML lamp was the E.G.R. fault. Anyway, I replaced the E.G.R. motor and the lamp went out. I blanked the E.G.R. and the van started normally again even though the valve still wasn't working. I made a valve spindle and fitted it and everything is back to normal again.

Home-made valve spindle out of a M5 bolt and some brass tube.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect