*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gearbox to the bin or not

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Gearbox to the bin or not

Postby simplyshaker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi all, just wondering if there is any use in keeping the gearbox from my mk3. It's a fixed bellhousing mt75 'box from a 2.4d. Can this be used on a mk2 Transit with Pinto engine or not. Searched the forum but loads and loads of things come out. Just thought I'd ask before it goes to the scrap. (can't sell it here in France, no one wants them).

Chris.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Gearbox to the bin or not

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:29 pm

I'm pretty sure the MT75 gearbox from a 2.4D York engine will fit the 2L pinto, I'm pretty sure it has the same bolt pattern as the type 9 G/box as fitted to pinto's but whether its a straight swap I'm not sure, but its possible and its a prop flange on MT75 and splines on type 9, but others may know for sure?

But It could have different clutch, starter, crossmember, speedo drive, reverse light switch, or gear lever, its just a matter of matching the right parts together, It may be a case of raiding the Ford parts bin and using other bits from other vehicles.

Edit: some useful info here:'
http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/compone ... 5-gearbox/
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby simplyshaker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Fantastic answer, loads of information on that site. I did make a mistake when writing my post, I wrote 2.4 instead of 2.5. It's the 2.5di that I'm scrapping at the moment, it has served me well through the years but now it's not cost effective to keep it on the road. All is not lost though, I'm cutting out the floor to fit in my mk2 and I'm trying to find out which other pieces could be useful. After reading the site, I think I will keep the 'box and then check out the bolt pattern the day I change the clutch on the mk2. Thanks for replying, Chris.

PS. If anyone is looking for parts for a mk3 here in France, they are most welcome to help themselves before they go in the bin.
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Thinking about isn't there an adaptor plate to fit the MT75 onto the pinto?
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Sorry I think I got my panties up in a bunch then!

The type 9 has a different bolt pattern!
I only ever briefly had one pinto engine with MT75 box and so since then I assumed the MT75 was the same pattern as the type 9 pinto box and never realised but its the 2.5DI engine that shares the same bolt pattern as the york 2.4 as the 2.5DI was based on the york, so Transit MT75's will fit both engines, to make the transit MT75 fit onto the pinto engine an adaptor plate and different flywheel were used.

2ea45a6a5bcc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby simplyshaker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:56 pm

So quite an easy swap, apart from the plate and flywheel that is. Definitely worth keeping the MT75 then, the mk2 really suffers from having only the 4 gears. Not finished cutting the floor out of the mk3, it's a bit of a git taking panels off without damaging them and the cab floor is quite a big panel. Thanks again for your reply ;)

Chris
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chug » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Could always fit the 2.5di to the mk2, if it runs ok?
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 1 & 2