*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk5 semi high roof transit Mods / suggestions

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

mk5 semi high roof transit Mods / suggestions

Postby dann-b-e » Tue May 01, 2018 11:32 am

Hi all
Well... Its been 11 years since owning a smiley Semi high roof in white with the legendary banana engine, & i am about to buy another one! (Last chance in my opinion, before old diesels are thrown off the road etc)

So the van is a bit untidy inside, first job to give it a real good tidy up. Im just wondering if you transit veterans can advise me to any fairly easy / reccomended mods / jobs which will make this van a nice experience to drive etc. Its had a basic service / recent cam belt change.

Ill be immediately priming it and going for a nice metallic blue Spray paint (any brand reccomended / or ive heard of "rollering" - I want to avoid the very dull white paint work so any suggestions appreciated. Ive noticed the gearstick is a bit low, drivers seat is a bit worn on the door side, wondering what seats are reccomended doners to a mk5 (got access to scrap yard with a variety of cars for spares etc) Could even repair the chair & stick seat covers on it.

Ill also be wire brushing the undercarriage & lightly treating with rust protector.

Due to pick her up saturday. will get some pics up if everything goes smoothly.
Respect, Dan
Last edited by dann-b-e on Tue May 01, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dann-b-e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk5 semi high roof Mods

Postby davetheshrew » Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 am

dont rattle can your van with blue paint, borrow/buy/steal a compressor and do it right. Get the van mechanicaly sound,new wheel bearings, new springs and dampers, tie rods/ends and ball joints would make it roll and steer like new. If it needs welding actually weld it, dont use filler and glass fibre, its lazy.
Drab green Transit 190 L High top minibus
turbo conversion with toyosports intercooler
davetheshrew
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: mk5 semi high roof Mods

Postby dann-b-e » Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks Dave, Ive driven it & steering felt good, gearbox not brilliant but it wasnt grinding just felt that it didnt clunk into gears very obviously like my old mk5 did. its just had a bearing done for mot advisory along with new tie rod ends as u suggested. No welding needed thank god just some small scabs which the paint job will deal with. Am wondering if the wheel arch covers on the transit connect can fit or be modded to fit a mk5?
dann-b-e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits