*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 steering wheel question?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk7 steering wheel question?

Postby adamv6 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:06 pm

got my new mk7 transit today :P (leased works van).

i've only got the base model 85/260, i've noticed that some of the new mk7s have got silver spokes on the steering wheel, mine hasn't but i can see where they would fit on.

is there anywhere i can get the silver bits from? and is there any good places to get accessories from (nothing too expensive as i'll only have it for 2 years)

p.s
lovin the mk7 it's much nicer to drive than the mk6 and the new 85ps has much more power on the lower rev range.
adamv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:13 pm

:idea: You may need to change the wheel :( :( :(

As for it being alot better than the MK6 :? I think you'll find that it's more to do with the fact that this van is a TDCI and not the TDDI :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby mikeouk » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:00 pm

think the spokes are silver if it has leather steering wheel option,,,so its not something you can buy and stick on
2007 330 LWB HI ROOF, 2.2 110, PEPPER RED, LX
mikeouk
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby KiloKilo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:57 pm

The silver bits is just because of one of the packages bought. For me it wasn't the leather steering wheel but the cruise control that made it come with silver bits (but I imagine that can vary from country to country). I think only the absolute base model doesn't come with the silver bits. Not really sure if you can order them after to fit. I think you would have to get a new wheel.
KiloKilo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby adamv6 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:23 pm

looks like it's no silver bits for me then, there's no way i'll but a new wheel just for the silver bits.

took the mk7 for a nice run today, it drives really well, BUT doesn't rev any where near as good as the mk6 did. 1500 - 3500 rpm it pulls really well but after 3500 rpm there's nothing.

so going up hill at 70 i'm having to stay in 5th as down gearing to 4th doesn't help.

maybe it will free up when i've done some more miles, i've not even done 500 yet.
adamv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:37 pm

I don't think these engines rev much more than that, anyway :!:

Helps with economy and will make it last longer :wink:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby adamv6 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 pm

i think your right andy, i'm getting used to it now.
with the mk6 85ps i was having to drop to 4th to get it up a hill on the motorway, but with the mk7 85ps it still pulls in 5th.

i must say the more i drive it the more impressed i am with it.

but then again, it's not even done 600 miles and the thrust bearing is starting to rattle.
adamv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby AndyG » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:48 pm

adamv6 wrote:i think your right andy, i'm getting used to it now.
with the mk6 85ps i was having to drop to 4th to get it up a hill on the motorway, but with the mk7 85ps it still pulls in 5th.

but then again, it's not even done 600 miles and the thrust bearing is starting to rattle.
:roll: :roll:

:lol: You're supposed to "run it in" :!: :roll: :lol: (don't care what anyone else has to say on this subject :D )

You should go nice and easy on it, up to say 3,000miles and gradually increase your speeds and revs going to 6000 miles and when you've done 10,000+ miles you can give it a bit of stick :!: :shock: :lol:

Then everything beds in nicely :D warms up and cools down correctly :D and you'll find it runs even quieter :o :D

I dunno :roll: Boy racers :!: :lol:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby tranycamperman » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:41 pm

Andyg wrote:

:lol: You're supposed to "run it in" :!: :roll: :lol: (don't care what anyone else has to say on this subject :D )

You should go nice and easy on it, up to say 3,000miles and gradually increase your speeds and revs going to 6000 miles and when you've done 10,000+ miles you can give it a bit of stick :!: :shock: :lol:

Then everything beds in nicely :D warms up and cools down correctly :D and you'll find it runs even quieter :o :D

Disagree, drive it like ya stole it from day one :D

Nothing kills power and causes oil consumption better than glazed bores!

If you speak to a lot of old school truck drivers, they'll tell you that a truck that was loaded heavy and driven hard from day one will perform better though it live than one that was 'run in properly'
tranycamperman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby adamv6 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:58 pm

i've got no other choice than to drive it hard, before i'd even driven it i'd loaded it up with all my tools and parts.

i'm basicaly a mobile mechanic working on powered access equiptment, so it's fully loaded all the time.

if i drive like a grandad i'd never get anywhere and always be stuck at the bottom of hills.
adamv6
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fedup2 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:25 pm

tranycamperman wrote:
Andyg wrote:

Disagree, drive it like ya stole it from day one :D

Nothing kills power and causes oil consumption better than glazed bores!

If you speak to a lot of old school truck drivers, they'll tell you that a truck that was loaded heavy and driven hard from day one will perform better though it live than one that was 'run in properly'

Apsolutley,give it some, Diesels hate being run in and it will cause problems later!
fedup2
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits