*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Dust in starter motor caused by dual-mass flywheel

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Dust in starter motor caused by dual-mass flywheel

Postby Mark_Sixman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:12 pm

I have recently had to buy a new starter motor for my 2002 2L Diesel van :( and have discovered that these motors constantly fail due to dust from the dual mass flywheel fitted as standard. :evil: Does anyone know where I might get the flywheel replaced, what the effects of this might be on performance etc, and how much it might cost me?

I'm sure that in the long run it might be better than constantly buying new starter motors :roll: .

Cheers...
Mark_Sixman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Dust in starter motor caused by dual-mass flywheel

Postby coconut » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Did your old starter have any dust in it?? not all FWD's have DMF's fitted :wink:

P.S. I like the avatar :D
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
coconut
Ford Technician

Postby Mark_Sixman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:32 pm

I haven't yet removed the old motor. It's coming off tomorrow am. Will post what I discover. Though the symptoms of the old motor seem to tally with a dust problem. We'll see...
Glad you like the avatar. My kids made it for me using Simpsons technology :!:
Mark_Sixman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mark_Sixman » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:42 pm

Totally impossible to remove top bolt on old starter motor. :evil: No spanner/socket seems to fit. :evil: No space to work etc.etc. :evil: :evil: I have given up and will be calling someone in to remove the old one. This till leaves me with the problem of what to do if it is full of metal dust.

It would seem to me that it is not possible to clean out dust without removing the clutch housing. Furthermore it's not worth fitting the new starter without first cleaning all the dust out. What I don't know is whether at this stage (67K miles) it is worth replacing the whole flywheel to avoid the same problem cropping up again in the near future. :|

Can anyone advise :?:
Mark_Sixman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby coconut » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Yep, the top bolt can be a right tw*t to get to, I use a deep 13mm socket (3/8 drive) 1 inch extension then a flexi handle ratchet or sometimes a flexi head spanner :wink:

If the starter is full of swarf, then the flywheel will need to be replaced and the gearbox bell housing cleaned of all swarf, otherwise a new starter will last about a month before packing up :roll:
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
coconut
Ford Technician

Postby Mark_Sixman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:14 am

Thanks for your help guys. Finally managed to unbolt the old motor with the help of a new extra-long 13mm socket (the rachet just fitted on). Bolt head had been previously damaged so had been slipping before. No dust found :D , so must be a one piece flywheel. Now starts fine with new motor so hopefully that'll be it for a while. Fingers crossed :!: :D
Mark_Sixman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fat fredie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:49 pm

do you need to replace the clutch when you replace the starter motor on 2.4 deisel luton transit
fat fredie

Postby angeleye » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm

fat fredie wrote:do you need to replace the clutch when you replace the starter motor on 2.4 deisel luton transit

no.as said in this post the only time you need to consider replacing the clutch ,is if the starter has failed due to swarf off the dmf,(flywheel) indicating that dmf is failing,some people replace dmf with a smf,to stop this problem....dmf are find if treated ok and will last a good few miles
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby darkhorse » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:40 pm

I think your van is pre DMF anyway. Mine was and its an 03 plate :)
I had the same worry, turned out that the starter alone was just the problem!
darkhorse
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits