*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Idle problems

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Idle problems

Postby tricky dicky » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:01 pm

I have a 100/280 on a 03 plate 2.0l turbo every now and then the idle goes higher than normal, if i stop the engine and restart idle goes back to normal. any ideas please I have looked at the tis disc I cant find anything there about idle. help please
Tia Dick
tricky dicky

Re: Idle problems

Postby *custom*transit* » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:54 pm

all i can think of with that 1 is a sensor :)
run a dianostic on it that will bring it up :D
*custom*transit*

Postby tricky dicky » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 am

Yes but my problem seems to be intermitant , The idle has always been a bit high but I can not find out how its adjusted any know how its done?? please
tricky dicky

Postby AndyG » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:51 pm

The idle is electronically set in the ECU :!:

It is more likely to be a fault with your electronic pedal :!:

Got the codes read :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby tricky dicky » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:38 pm

many thanks for your reply I have now checked the pedal, all seems OK, and I have no codes flashing,
Thanks Dick
tricky dicky

Postby AndyG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:07 am

You'll need to get the ECU stored codes scanned :!:
As it keeps a history :!: :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby tricky dicky » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 am

Thanks very much

Dick
tricky dicky

Postby helmo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:39 pm

I am also experiencing these irregular idle problems with my (04) 280 100 tdi as in your case when the engine is switched off and restarted the idle returns to normal and the fault appears to have gone but only temporarily. Can you tell me exactly what the problem with the pedal was?
Last edited by helmo on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
helmo

Postby Detcollector » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Its best to get the error codes scanned.
This can be due to a temperature sensor being at fault. If the sensor is stuck showing low temperature then the ECU will put the idle up to get a fast warm up. However there is probably a timer that checks when the vehicle was last started so it can workout if the cylinders/exhaust are warm even when the sensor is cold. When you switch off and then restart straight away this timer indicates that the temperature signal can be ignored and use the ordinary idle speed.
The error code should indicate which sensor is at fault.

So be sure you have a fault and are not just confused by the intended behaviour of the vehicle. I.E. high idle on a cold start but should reduce to normal within a few minutes. Should not be high if the engine is warm or the temperature is warm.
Detcollector
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby helmo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Fault exists when engine is warm or cold. The van always starts and ticks over as normal the problem occurs upon release of the accelerator during driving. Spoke with main dealer they are too busy to look at it this week. The guy reckons its proably a fault with the electronic switch on the accelerator pedal as mentioned in earlier post. The revs seem to either stick high and remain at that level until the engine is restarted or stick at idle restricting me from accelerating, again until the key clicked on and off. Gave me a rough price for the pedal unit 100 euro approx 75 quid.
Last edited by helmo on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helmo

Postby helmo » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:31 pm

problem solved (new pedal!) :mrgreen:
helmo

Postby AndyG » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:46 pm

helmo wrote:problem solved (new pedal!) :mrgreen:

:D :D Thanks for posting back :!: :D :D :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby heatwave » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:14 am

I have the same problem and ahve done everything that everyone suggests . spent £40 connecting it to a computer in a ford garage only to be told there were no faults. changed the pedal. changed the sensors. in fact everything has been changed recon engine, recon gearbox, recon axel . and I still have the problem. I did notice last week the battery was a little slow in starting the van when it did start the idel speed went to 1500 . switched off pus a charger on the battery all day. the tick over speed 975 all day next day same problem started the van speed 1500 charged the battery speed ok.

Fords tell me it is not possible but if the ecu is not getting the correct amount of power maybe it is possible that it sends a signal to the engine to speed up to get more power ( It seems only God knows the answer . Next week I will put qa new battery on and see what happens. you can get me at heatwave7@dsl.pipex.com let me know if you sort out the problem cheers
heatwave
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby pollag » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:28 am

So this post now tells me it could be the pedal or the battery even . Going price to get the ecu read is 40 pounds ?

Is this the no. 1 problem of mk 6's or the breaks ?

Today I got 2 prices £40 to read at the one place and £25 at my local.

buy one rather ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-OBD2-II ... efid=store
New VAN:SWB 85T260-04 Reg - Forum Post ranking:108th -37.4mpg top-New Fuel Pump
Prev VAN :mk4 93' SWB 80, 2.5d Retired -Nov 08' - SOLD :(
Image <--- Click on the little phone
pollag
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frag » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Sticking throttle pedal`s which cause 95%,err well actually upto now 100% of this problem for me do not generate a fault code :!:
The only way to see fault,which is usually intermittant would be watching live data using datalogger to monitor the 3 potentiometers contained within the pedal.

I`ve never had to do this,when the fault is on,lift pedal.
If idle drops to normal there is your answer.......
Combine that with the fact i`ve never seen high idle for any other reason,pedal sensor everytime.

If your not convinced " borrow" a pedal of something else to try it :idea:
Frag
Ford Technician

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions