*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

fitting a pop top

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

fitting a pop top

Postby m1c » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:23 pm

For arguments sake say if i got me a nice mk1 camper but wanted a pop top are they easy (and available) to fit? As youd have to cut a hole in the roof would it be possible to cut a hole just big enuf to climb thru ( rather than the full size of the pop top) so in effect when the pop top is up, youd actually be laying on the van roof rather than them roll out beds??

:D
m1c
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: fitting a pop top

Postby transerbia » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:38 pm

For the Westfalia motorhomes, there is two different types of pop-up roofs. The first, on the VW transporters, you have to roll the bed because you are using the central space of the van when using the kitchen. On the Transit Westfalia (1986) you are climbing to the beds by the rear of the vehicle, and in the open position of the pop-up roof you may use both the kitchen and the beds. (excuse my English, I hope this was clear enough... :? )
transerbia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm

m1c wrote:For arguments sake say if i got me a nice mk1 camper but wanted a pop top are they easy (and available) to fit?

:D

If you got a camper, wouldn't it have some kind of elevating roof? Did you mean you were going to build one? If you did, please don't look for a Mk1 and cut a hole in it! Just get a Mk1 camper, there are a few about, and if the roof need replacing (it will be cheap if it does) then do the work. A decent Mk1 van will not be cheap, and if you get it wrong you will end up with an expensive pile of scrap.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby transerbia » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree with Fred, the roof is the most risky part of the camper. Even very expensive motorhomes like Hymer (cost more than 50 000 euros) have only 5 years guaranty for the roof. To fit a pop-top roof is not easy.
transerbia
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Campertess » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:51 pm

I still have the Tessie bus,
prime example...nice Mk1 van/camper with rotton pop up roof (still)
Flies her Mot every time but cannot be used to her full potential because of the bloody roof.

It WILL get sorted ,one day.
but really i wouldnt just start cutting a roof about on a nice MK1 un nessacerilly, there are several on ebay that already have pop's on :)
in my "new" van i get waved at not glared at ...Yeyyyyyyyyy :)
Campertess
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby FredTransit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:32 pm

Campertess wrote:I still have the Tessie bus,
Flies her Mot every time but cannot be used to her full potential because of the bloody roof.

but really i wouldnt just start cutting a roof about on a nice MK1 un nessacerilly, there are several on ebay that already have pop's on :)

You really should just revert her back to a van you know, now you have that big beastie!
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby m1c » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:32 am

transerbia wrote:On the Transit Westfalia (1986) you are climbing to the beds by the rear of the vehicle, and in the open position of the pop-up roof you may use both the kitchen and the beds. (excuse my English, I hope this was clear enough... :? )

for what its worth i dont have the knowledge etc to do that kinda thing anyway tbh :D

how exactly do you climb up there?? is there ladders or something? the only picture ive seen with the beds rolled out doesnt show the rear end when you climb up :!:
m1c
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Campertess » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:26 pm

FredTransit wrote:
Campertess wrote:I still have the Tessie bus,

You really should just revert her back to a van you know, now you have that big beastie!

she's in atm being checked pre mot :)
will go from there . :wink:
in my "new" van i get waved at not glared at ...Yeyyyyyyyyy :)
Campertess
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk 1 & 2