*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Screeching Noise - Thrust Bearing or Fan belt?

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Screeching Noise - Thrust Bearing or Fan belt?

Postby Johnny » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:29 am

Hi there everyone,

Just got a 2.5 di 1995 swb 100. On test run fine no problem ran well. However been home for a week and when I went to pull away while it was cold, I had a screeching noise, not sure if it was coming from clutch or engine.

At first it was only while I was in 1st or 2nd gear but as I went on it was making a noise in all 4 gears. After 3 or 4 minutes the noise disappeared, does anyone know if it is likely to be the thrust bearing or fan belt and if yes to thrust bearing, what sort of bill can I expect from a garaged.
Johnny

Re: Screeching Noise - Thrust Bearing or Fan belt?

Postby Ford Sprung Van Tastik!! » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:51 am

Welcome :D
First :-
With the bonnet open, start the engine , and you should be able to tell if the fan belt is screeching or not.If its the belt, check condition ,then adjust it or renew it .If in doubt remove the fan belt and start the engine . :)
Rare genuine Mk5 190 LWB 115ps Turbo Diesel Intercooled .

If you can't fix it... use a BIGGER hammer !!!
Ford Sprung Van Tastik!!
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby zephyr » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:28 pm

My guess is that its most likely to be the alternator belt needs tightnening. Batteries take a hit in cold weather and rubber is less "sticky" so it all stacks up with what you heard and when you heard it.

Thrust bearings tend to make more of a dry hissing or droning sound which will change depending on whether the the clutch is depressed or not.
Transit...... The first and best MPV
zephyr
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Johnny » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for that I will have a look tomorrow and see what happens.
Johnny

Postby John Grove » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:03 am

You don't need to take the belt off to see if it's that or not. Get a garden sprayer and spray the belt with a little water while the engine is running. Keep your eyes and face out of the way while you do it. If it's the belt the noise will change or disappear. It certainly sounds like the belt anyway. Soemtimes, if they've been slipping for a while they will glaze up. Then it's generally best to change the belt rather than tighten it
John Grove
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cosybike » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:33 am

or a pulley in the process of collapsing.
"The Cosywagon" Ex BT 2.4 350 75 PS (PS stands for Pretty Slow?)
Technical Support Unit - Dan T
Sic transit gloria mundae. All the world's glory is fleeting...or. Gloria got sick on the bus Monday.
cosybike
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby kudos_kid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:20 pm

exactly the same thing is happening to my 2.4 transit. I have put wd40 on it and it stoppes squeeling for a little while, then when you rev the engine you can hear it squeeling again.

How can you diagnose if it is a pulley wheel in the process of colapsing.

Is it worth me taking it into a garage and getting a 90 quid bill or what?

I need help on this one too.

Total tranny novice, just joined site and just baught van yesterday evening.

regards

Chris :?
kudos_kid
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kudos_kid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi all

Just took van into garage today and had a word with one of the commercial vehicle mechanics. He tells me that this screaming belt sound is quite common with this type of engine fan belt with all the grooves in it.

He suggested that I get some white grease lubricant spray and coat the pulley wheels and the inside of the belt. I did exactly what he said and jobs a goodun, no more squeeling fan belt.

I was also quite supprized at the length and price of a replacement belt. About the 30 quid mark. He said even when they fit new ones they sometimes still scream, they just have to tighten the belt a little more.

Anyway all sorted now.

regards

Chris. :wink:
kudos_kid
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby executivetravel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:19 pm

kudos_kid wrote:He said even when they fit new ones they sometimes still scream, they just have to tighten the belt a little more.

and thats why 2.5di smileys break the tensioners so often...

keep a spare handy
executivetravel
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby viper » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Re Screeching noise.

I find it very un pro to suggest putting white grease on belts, if there is a noise then it needs to be investigated, plain and simple. I would remove belt, replace tensioner and idler berings, very simple 5 min job, then check water pump, atly, power steering and vac pump for smooth operation of movement, if any show the slightist hint of drag or wear its time to replace as it will likely be the problem, using branded belts as a replacement is a must, fong kong junk is just that as every one is on the band wagon when it comes to parts, duplication of them is a simple process but its the low quality that goes into them, belts is one of them in a big way.

I would check as above and then repalce belt even if if still looks ok, toss it under the seat from in case as its ideal to have one spare along with a few minor tools
Custom interior, MK6 MWB RWD 90PS 2000)...220 000miles, parked up for 3 years rust free
viper
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Technical Problems & Questions