*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 EGR valve - Disconnect?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk7 EGR valve - Disconnect?

Postby pikeybob » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:42 pm

U mean this git :?:

The only mk7 still with ORIGINAL egr valve!!!!!!
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby coconut » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Thats the little darling :twisted:
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
coconut
Ford Technician

Postby pikeybob » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:48 pm

At last got there in the end. Does a hammer work on these Coconut :?: :lol:
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby winterheating » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:00 pm

pusd wrote:
martynx wrote:
My current theory on why many Mk7's run worse after blanking is that the EGR valve on the Mk7's ....

Strange, mine runs better when disconnected!

A smoother & stronger pull from lower revs. The van's now happy pulling away from 30mph and below in 4th and feels quite nippy with it whereas before (EGR connected) it feels a bit strangled until about 2k, when you get a sudden surge.

Phil

its maybe because your EGR isnt working proparly thats why your getting hessitation so disconnecting is going to make it better,

but if EGR is working correctly PCM can use that to its advantage so when like Martyn says on a van with no problems disconnecting EGR makes it run worse.

read somewhere that modern engines use the reduced combustion temps, caused by EGR, to actually improve power, by adjusting timing correctly.

so maybe the MK7s need the EGR to be functioning 100% correctly to get the full potential.
but also the Map sensor could affect correct operation of EGR.

is there any MK6's where the MAP is after EGR :?: :?: entry cos TIS says that in some situations the MAP is used to monitor the EGR :!: :!: :!:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby pusd » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:12 am

winterheating wrote:
pusd wrote:
martynx wrote:
My current theory on why many Mk7's run worse after blanking is that the EGR valve on the Mk7's ....

Strange, mine runs better when disconnected!

A smoother & stronger pull from lower revs. The van's now happy pulling away from 30mph and below in 4th and feels quite nippy with it whereas before (EGR connected) it feels a bit strangled until about 2k, when you get a sudden surge.

Phil

its maybe because your EGR isnt working proparly thats why your getting hessitation so disconnecting is going to make it better,

but if EGR is working correctly PCM can use that to its advantage so when like Martyn says on a van with no problems disconnecting EGR makes it run worse.

read somewhere that modern engines use the reduced combustion temps, caused by EGR, to actually improve power, by adjusting timing correctly.

so maybe the MK7s need the EGR to be functioning 100% correctly to get the full potential.
but also the Map sensor could affect correct operation of EGR.

is there any MK6's where the MAP is after EGR :?: :?: entry cos TIS says that in some situations the MAP is used to monitor the EGR :!: :!: :!:

WH, I have no reason to suspect that the EGR on my van is working anything other than perfectly - at 6000 miles, power delivery is no different to when it the van was new.
But the van is certainly much better at lower engine revs (<1800) with the EGR disconnected.

I don't know much about making engines meet various emissions regs, combustion temps or adjusting timing for an EGR etc, but I do feel that it is fundamentally wrong to put exhaust gases back into an engine!!!
Look at all the problems on this site alone from failing EGR's (poor running, smokey, lack of power & increased fuel consumption...).
Friends with other brands' of vehicles have had problems too.

.... Then take a look in an intake manifold from a reasonably well used vehicle and marvel at how the thing can still run ok with all the build up of sludge in there from the layers of soot & carbon.

This is why I am (obsessed?) trying to find the most effective way of stopping the flow of exhaust gases into the engine - currently it looks like I have to live with the EM light displayed though!

Of course any feedback is good!

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby coconut » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:03 am

pikeybob wrote:At last got there in the end. Does a hammer work on these Coconut :?: :lol:

To fix them or get them off :lol:
I miss my 'courtesy van'............140 Glx..now a Jumbo :(
coconut
Ford Technician

Postby pikeybob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:54 pm

coconut wrote:
pikeybob wrote:At last got there in the end. Does a hammer work on these Coconut :?: :lol:

To fix them or get them off :lol:

:lol: Both, but mainly to fix it :wink:
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Is that your egr finally given up then pikeybob :?: About time you joined the rest of us :lol:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby pikeybob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Think its going ake even the missus has commented on the crazy idling :(
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:08 pm

pikeybob wrote:Think its going ake even the missus has commented on the crazy idling :(

Thats exactly what mine is doin AGAIN :(
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby pikeybob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:11 pm

You had urs done once already Ake :?:
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby winterheating » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:19 pm

WH, I have no reason to suspect that the EGR on my van is working anything other than perfectly - at 6000 miles, power delivery is no different to when it the van was new.
But the van is certainly much better at lower engine revs (<1800) with the EGR disconnected.

I don't know much about making engines meet various emissions regs, combustion temps or adjusting timing for an EGR etc, but I do feel that it is fundamentally wrong to put exhaust gases back into an engine!!!
Look at all the problems on this site alone from failing EGR's (poor running, smokey, lack of power & increased fuel consumption...).
Friends with other brands' of vehicles have had problems too.

.... Then take a look in an intake manifold from a reasonably well used vehicle and marvel at how the thing can still run ok with all the build up of sludge in there from the layers of soot & carbon.

This is why I am (obsessed?) trying to find the most effective way of stopping the flow of exhaust gases into the engine - currently it looks like I have to live with the EM light displayed though!

Of course any feedback is good!

ive just stripped a mondeo head today , the inlet ports were caked up right up to the inlet valve seats, the valve stems were 1/2'' thick in soot. :roll:

anyone who can develop an engine that doesnt require an EGR to meet todays emmissions requirements will become an instant Billionaire :!:

maybe a servicable carbon filter should be fitted before EGR :idea:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby pikeybob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:23 pm

The van runs spot on no smoke as new in fact just this lumpy idle. Worth me unpluggin Winterheating to see wot she runs like?
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby winterheating » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:29 pm

could the lumpy idle not be the injector codes that have been coded in to wrong cylinders :?:

suppose you could briefly disconnect EGR to see if it makes a difference to idling.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby pikeybob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:48 pm

If it was the injectors surley it would have been like it from new :? Does running the van with the eml showing have an adverse effect on the engine itself
pikeybob
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits