*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

battery warning light staying on

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

battery warning light staying on

Postby xpressvalet » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:26 pm

:roll: help ! battery warning light on dash staying on while driving and indicators both sides not flashing just staying on ? mmmmh? ran a multi meter over the battery and the alternator seems to be okay? anyone had a similar fault at all?

thanks

robert
i can clean cars for hours n hours, its a condition i've got
xpressvalet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: battery warning light staying on

Postby Wobby » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:26 pm

I dont know the wiring, but i would try unpluging the indicator/ hazard light relay and see what happens! Might have failed, does it start ok; everything else working?
Wobby
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby xpressvalet » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 pm

everything else seems fine. its too cold and late to try that now, but if i can find that relay tomorrow i'll try that first anyway.

thanks..
xpressvalet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bsw auto » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:08 pm

i wud check fuses first cant see it bein flasher unit put hazards on if they work your flasher unit ok
bsw auto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cyberfibre » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 pm

had same trouble and i replced the wiring on the 3 pin plug that goes into the alternator and it went off . my dashboard clocks kept resetting and lights kept turning off and re wiring the 3 pin plug and giving it a good clean saughted it out. the wire gets pinched when it is cabled tyed to the bodywork so cut the wire free from all the clips and check it all
cyberfibre

Postby me&myvan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm

I have had all of these problems, the alternator light was in fact cured by the new lead.
I will post a pic of the old loom as soon as I can but it shows where the red wire insulation has cracked and green copper corrosion is bursting out. Not checked the continuity yet but even so, there will be earth leakage when wet.
The other thing, the flasher unit. Nothing to do with the battery light thing but I had that aswell.
Indicators stayed on either way and only flashed on hazards. Very odd.
I priced a new flasher unit and when the stealer said £50, yes £50 I decided to have another look.
The flasher relay is under the dash low down (dont need to take clocks out)
You can see it with out removing anything if you get upside down in the footwell.
I just put my hazards on an listened where the clicking was coming from!
Its more accessible if you remove the lower shelf. Only a few screws!
Anyway when you pull the flasher unit off and have it in your hand, you can see that it can be split apart.
Do this then plug it back in, try the indicators and you will see that the mechanism sticks one way, thus not causing the flash.
All I did was removed it again and tweaked it a bit with a small screwdriver to ease the movement.
I did this until I got it to flash then re assembled it. Sounds simple but it worked for me, its still working and I still have £50 in my pocket. There are a few strings on here about the alternator light, flashing dials, clocks going to zero, glow plug light coming on etc. This was definately cured on mine because I did the wiring loom replacement. I'm only passing on my experiences in the hope it may help someone. I have had loads of help from other posts. Thanks to all who bother to add stuff. Dave
me&myvan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Piper » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Guys.
Just new to this website, was looking for a solution to the very same issues online, and came acrosss this forum! Makes some interesting reading!
Anyways, I have 2 Transit connects, T200s both 2004 models. And BOTH have the alternator light staying on, both within a week of each other!
After trawling through countless websites etc, it would appear this is a very common problem with these vans. I am going to take a look today and will post my findings on here, with some pics!
Piper

Postby steve_Mc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:00 pm

Don't normally do the forum thing but wandered on to this one whilst looking for a cheap alternator for my 54 connect as the battery light is permanently on. Thought it was worth checking the cable in question & low & behold the blue wire was coroded through. New cable on order & temporary repair in place - at least £250 better off (£400 if I take it to Dick Turpin's the local ford dealer) - I'm off down the pub to raise a glass to you, cheers! :D
steve_Mc

Postby me&myvan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Here are the pics as promised.
As you can see, someone had attempted a repair before!
This loom is inside a conduit so you cant see it till you pull it apart.
You can see the red wire has corroded and completely broken!
I couldnt believe this had happened to a wire thats only 5 years old.
Just makes you wonder about other electrical faults you may have had when wires can do this!
Hope it helps explain what the fault is.
Dave

me&myvan
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby xpressvalet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 pm

i cant be a great help on the technical side, but for info it was the wireloom that was replaced under the 3yr warrenty by those boys at FoMoCo. all good and back on the road, total cost £0.00 :D
xpressvalet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Icurus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:14 pm

My battery light has been on since Monday :(

But no probs, I've read about the this common fault and popped into a Ford dealer near to my place of work to order the required loom. Well to cut a long story short they could not tell me when they could get me one by! I really dont think they could be arsed judgi9ng by their attitude!

So I decided to make up the wires myself, but first I checked that the alternator was working by putting a multi-meter across the battery. I got just under 14v at tickover, I thought it should have been nearer 15v but having read about the connect having the ecu manage the charging I thought that might explain the lower reading? With the engine off the reading was 12v. So I assume the alternator is ok?

I cut back the 3 wires from the alternators plug all the way to the battery tray. I would have gone futher but it was starting to get dark and I thought that would be enough! But the light still comes on after about 20 seconds :(

This loom that you get from Fords, just how long is it? Looking at TIS, it appears that those 3 wires only go as far as the engine bay fuse box?
Transit Connect LWB T220 75PS - KnN - HID's
Icurus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ALAN119 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Battery light problem sorted.

Light was staying on intermittently and headlights etc going a bit haywire !!!

Had this problem with connect 200L 75PS. Sure enough the blue wire in the small jumper loom to the alternator had damaged insulation where it clips to radiator cowl and the copper wires had turned to green dust !!! Looked like it had been rubbing on the inside of the outer protective sheath.

Easier to get at it from the top by taking the intercooler off (about 5 mins work) and then removing the jumper loom, which is about 18 inches long with a plug at each end.

Excellent post though, saved me a bundle, was just about to get a new alternator fitted at £400 plus !!!

Many thanks.
ALAN119

Postby eddiebirmingham » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:02 am

I'm gonna have a look for these wires.

are they from the alternator to the battery?

the light has been coming on since xmas.

will the van stop working eventually or is it just a warning light if the alternator is working fine
eddiebirmingham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby eddiebirmingham » Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 pm

:D Fantastic

solved

mine was the blue wire had worn thru
:)
eddiebirmingham
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby SirKit Breaker » Thu May 21, 2009 3:55 pm

eddiebirmingham wrote:
will the van stop working eventually or is it just a warning light if the alternator is working fine

Just a warning light, you can confirm that your charging system is OK by putting a meter on DC volts across the battery you should get 12v or so, when the engine is running you should have 13v `ish` and it should remain stable when you rev the engine.

Cheers..........Howard
GREAT BRITAIN LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.
SirKit Breaker
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Connect