*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit heater fan not working

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Transit heater fan not working

Postby BogMonster » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Hi folks,

Apologies in advance for being a bit ignorant about Transits but I don't have a lot to do with ours ... wondering if anybody can help please.

Our company (based in the Falkland Islands) runs three Transit 17 seat minibuses for tourist excursions and one of them has developed a heater fault - the fan doesn't work. I've searched on here and the switch seems to be a common fault which is backed up by what I see - on one setting (turning it left of centre) the switch only works on speed 2 when you push down on it, and on the "demist" setting (right of centre) it only works "properly" on the lowest speed setting and not at all on the two higher speeds, which at this time of year in the South Atlantic is a bit chilly!! However most of the posts seem to refer to older vehicles - ours were bought new and I think are a 2005 model which is what I think you are calling a Mark 6? According to the original invoice they are Duratorq 2.4L Tddi, 115PS, 5 speed manual, purchased in August 2005.

Is the switch likely to be all we need to change, and what needs to come out to get it out? We can't immediately see how the centre of the dash comes out, no doubt there are only a few screws holding it in but it's not obvious. We removed the radio and had a look at the back of the switch with a mirror to see if any of the connectors were adrift but there was no obvious sign of trouble in there. Anything we order will have to come from a Ford dealer in UK and will be 2/3 weeks getting here so I don't want to order one part and then find it's something else as that will be another 2/3 weeks delay...

Any help with the above would be much appreciated ... there are only a handful of Transits down here, nobody that really knows much about them and we don't have any technical info, workshop manuals etc, so are a bit in the dark. They've not given any trouble to date but with the rough road conditions here I guess we will start having problems as they get older.

Many thanks

BM
BogMonster

Re: Transit heater fan not working

Postby transit-adam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:06 pm

hi, i work for a large company and we have many transits from 04 to 55, lately we having problems with the blower motors (behind the radio!) not too bad a job but they can cause many faults, not saying thats the fault but i have now replaced many of them and thats sorted out our faults. If you need a hand removing it i can help, just let me no :D
I dont recommend Ginsters whilst driving.
transit-adam
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:46 pm

transit-adam wrote:hi, i work for a large company and we have many transits from 04 to 55, lately we having problems with the blower motors (behind the radio!) not too bad a job but they can cause many faults, not saying thats the fault but i have now replaced many of them and thats sorted out our faults. If you need a hand removing it i can help, just let me no :D

how easy are they to replace, the fan seems to come out pretty easy when heater box is out, but how easy when dash is in :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby LRN » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Not too bad a job... i remove the two plastic vent hoses from drivers side of dash, and take out radio. gives enough room to remove locking screw and twist heater motor out and drop onto drivers side floor with a bit of fiddly iggery pokery.

First ones a bitch.. its gets easy come 3rd or 4th time.

could also be the resistor itself rather than motor.. located just below motor in same housing. two torx screw [size25] hold it in... thats a fiddly git to remove too
LRN
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby winterheating » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:17 pm

is that the one with 3 wires going to :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby LRN » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:19 pm

yep. two multiplugs there.. 2 wire [to motor] and 3 wire [resistor]
LRN
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transit-adam » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:37 pm

The way that i do it when in situ is, remove clocks and stalks, remove front cover of dash and radio and then you can see it in box, remove plastic tube next to motor, flick over plastic tab at the front of the motor( nearest the bulkhead) then twist and pull out, nit fidly but comes out radio hole, take care when fitting new one as they are easily broken and dont like being glued. can remove one i bout 30 mins.
I dont recommend Ginsters whilst driving.
transit-adam
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby BogMonster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks ... with the lead time we have on parts I might see if the workshop can swap the switches over out of one of the others and see if that fixes the problem before we order anything just in case it is the resistor or the motor.

Odd really - I've never come across a vehicle with regular heater problems before, its usually one bit of the vehicle that doesn't really go wrong!

Thanks for the suggestions
BogMonster

Postby BogMonster » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:11 pm

Turns out it was just the fan speed switch - once they got it out there was a slightly melted looking patch of plastic in where the plug connects to the back of it and a switch out of one of the others worked fine in that vehicle, so will order a replacement.

Thanks for the info
BogMonster

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits