*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Automatic Transmission Problems.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Re: Automatic Transmission Problems.

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:48 am

Certainly will recheck my oil levels following your instructions. Appeared ok before but I didn't leave a 2nd between each lever movement.

When it comes to this pierburg valve, can u see it in the pictures I gave you a link to? I have tried finding what it looks like on google images and finding where it goes but engines are not my speciality I am afraid.

Thanks for the help.
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:58 am

Yes :!: :!: You have a clear picture (the 1st one) right at the bottom of it, on the right hand side :!:
An aluminium gadget with a lever on it :!: (will move as you use the accelerator pedal)
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:16 am

I have identified the pipes I think you are referring to. They seem to be connected to the gizmo on the back of the alternator. Is this correct?

What should I be checking on these pipes? Leaks? Proper connections? Clear airways?

Do I need to disconnect the longer pipe coming from underneath the bulkhead to blow it out?

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:26 am

Thank you so much for your help.

I will be continuing this tomorrow morning when the sun is giving me more light. I will also be able to put the van on a level surface to check the oil.

If you could please leave me a brief description of what I should be doing with the pipes and how it relates to the gearbox, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Ok

So I have checked the oil levels waiting a second between lever movements and oil levels are at max.

I have also checked the vacuum pipes leading to and from the piersburg valve. Although I am not sure wat I was looking for, they all allow air to pass through adequately and the vacuum is present all the way to where the pipe joins the gearbox.

On the bottom plate (sump?), there is an amount of oil collecting. It is not enough to drip so far as I can tell, but as you mentioned low oil pressure, I wondered if that could contribute towards the problems.

I have attached some pictures of my gearbox whilst I was checking. Perhaps these will be of help to you.

http://www.ok.eclipse.co.uk/pictures/van/gb

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:19 pm

The numbers stated on the gearbox itself are:

P906T-7A040-ABR

11/16

I have read on google with is an A4LD? However, there seems to be a few different variations. How can I tell which one I have? I have no solenoids to start with.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Kedishen wrote:
I have also checked the vacuum pipes leading to and from the piersburg valve. Although I am not sure wat I was looking for, they all allow air to pass through adequately and the vacuum is present all the way to where the pipe joins the gearbox.

You're checking for slack joints, perishing of what is now 14+ year old tubing, basically any possible leaks to the transmission vacuum modulator :)

The modulator could well have a split diaphragm :idea:
But at least these aren't expensive :D
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:29 pm

Andyg wrote:You're checking for slack joints, perishing of what is now 14+ year old tubing, basically any possible leaks to the transmission vacuum modulator :)
The modulator could well have a split diaphragm :idea:
But at least these aren't expensive :D

Hi Andy

I cant see any visible perishing on the pipes. I have used soapy water on the pipes to find leaks when I blow compressed air through them and paid special attention to the seals. I have also replaced the clips on all pipes to ensure good seal. Is it ok to use a bit of silicone on the piersburg valve and box where pipes connect to ensure tight seal?

What else can I check? Is there anything I can do to check the modulator diaphragm?

Thanks.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Well if all this is ok, then the only job left is to change that filter inside the box sump :x

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'm afraid it's rebuild time and might have to anyway, if you've continued to drive the vehicle with the box slipping, as the (relatively) small multiplate clutches can easily burn out :(
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:54 pm

Change the filter :o Do you have any recommended reading for me to complete this? I came across a generic guide, however there were obvious differences.

Also, I am considering purchasing a reconditioned transmission.

Firstly, is there a recommended upgrade to the unit I already have? I dunno if the number I posted is any use to you, but I imagine that the lack of a solenoid means I have the older unit, and as I usually go with "if it works don't fix it.."... well that really only applies to computers.

Secondly, do you have a recommend seller for a reconditioned unit?

Thirdly, if I do need to have my current unit rebuilt, do you know anybody that would be able to give me a good price for it? I do prefer bits of paper to the alternative...

Thanks.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Andyg wrote:If that doesn't do the trick, then I'm afraid it's rebuild time and might have to anyway, if you've continued to drive the vehicle with the box slipping, as the (relatively) small multiplate clutches can easily burn out :(

Unfortunately this is the case. I had to drive 150 miles with no 4th gear Looks like rebuild or reconditioned unit just increased in likelyhood.

God bless my automatic.

How difficult would it be to fit a manual box. The hold is the same? I can get hold of a scrapper for pedals and stick. Make a few holes?

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Also, I just read a thread about a guy who used the wrong oil in an A4LD and it messed it up.

If I am gonna change the filter, I might as well do the oil at same time. Do you recommend a particular type?

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:52 am

I'll confirm the spec later, but from the top of my head it's DexronII for your year :)

If you don't fancy doing the job, ring around and get some quotes :idea:
Where abouts are you :?:

Edit: *ATF-Q3 DEXRONIII

Ford specification is WSPM2C166H
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Kedishen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:25 am

Gloucester City, Gloucestershire.

Junction 12 off the M5.

I am going to do the filter change and change the oil. If that doesn't work, and there is nothing else I can do, then I will buy a reconditioned unit, have it fitted.

If anyone knows of anybody with an reconditioned A4LD that will fit a 95 Mk4 2.5 TD (80PS to turbo) then I am in the market. I need it within a week and am willing to travel.

Thanks for your help Andy. Please let me know if you know anybody with a suitable unit.

100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AndyG » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Kedishen wrote: Gloucester City, Gloucestershire.

Junction 12 off the M5.

I am going to do the filter change and change the oil. If that doesn't work, and there is nothing else I can do, then I will buy a reconditioned unit, have it fitted.

There may be another thing you could try, but really need to work out if the box is actually slipping, or simply changing up late and not getting into 4th :!:

Kedishen wrote:If anyone knows of anybody with an reconditioned A4LD that will fit a 95 Mk4 2.5 TD (80PS to turbo) then I am in the market. I need it within a week and am willing to travel.

Thanks for your help Andy. Please let me know if you know anybody with a suitable unit.

If I was you, I'd avoid calling it a 1995 Transit, as the box is different :!:
I'd describe it as a 1992 to 1994 Transit diesel :wink:
AndyG
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Problems & Questions