*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

TDCI high fuel pressure ford dont know whats wrong

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

TDCI high fuel pressure ford dont know whats wrong

Postby fridge-medic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Late 56 plate t280 130 bhp front wheel drive GLX, had rough idle & cutting out issue, has has fuel press reg valve and latest update on PCM only 2 month ago Reg is SK56HLG if this helps

Been to local ford dealer and was told IMV valve on end of injection pump, they fitted a new one and no difference, they are now telling me that the IMV valve has a short circuit in the wiring loom causing my fuel pressure to be extremely high.
The symptoms are pronounced diesel knock at low revs & occasional cutting out, fuel consumption has slightly reduced.

engine power seems the same, engine managment light has never come on.

Being told it needs a new engine wiring loom ( possibly )

Van is off in to evans halshaw commercials in hull on 23rd november, can anyone offer any sensible suggestions ?
fridge-medic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: TDCI high fuel pressure ford dont know whats wrong

Postby martynx » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:25 pm

Sounds reasonable - apparently ford tech's up & down the country are struggling with pressure related faults at the mo - one freaked me out the other week - i though it was my tuning till i looked a bit deeper into the DTC's that were popping up :roll:

This memo/tsb does mention the wiring problem some way down , it also has a pretty cool "what to do in what situation / when code "X" is present to help the rest of us in years to come when the warranty is out...

Leave a copy of this on your seat when you drop it off :lol:

Subject/Concern: Loss of power, poor driveability, malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated
Model:
Transit 2006.5 (04/2006–)
Build Date: Up to 30.06.2009
Build Code: Up to 9R
Assembly Plant: Kocaeli
Assembly Plant: Southampton
Engine: 2.2L Duratorq-TDCi (DW) Diesel
Engine: 2.4L Duratorq-TDCi (Puma) Diesel
Engine: 3.2L Duratorq-TDCi (Puma) Diesel
Markets: All
Section: 419-01
Summary

Should a customer express concern about loss of power, poor driveability or malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is illuminated and the DTC P0089 is present then the fuel pressure relief valve (PRV) will have been activated.

The PRV is a safety device that is activated as a result of excessive fuel rail pressures and the cause of the high fuel rail pressure must be diagnosed to enable the correct repair first time and prevent repeating the PRV activation event.

• NOTE: Use IDS 63 DVD or a later version.

To rectify this concern, the powertrain control module (PCM) should be re-programmed with the latest PCM calibration.

For markets where FordEtis IDS is used, connect FordEtis IDS and select the appropriate symptoms from the concern descriptions above. Follow the FordEtis IDS instructions to rectify this concern.

For markets where FordEtis IDS is not available, use the IDS standard portable diagnostic unit. To rectify this concern follow the attached service repair instruction.

Parts Required
Description Finis Code Quantity
Fuel Metering Valve (SCV) (If required) 1 514 885 1
Fuel Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) (If required) 1 497 165 1
Labor Time
Operation Description Operation No. / Time
IDS - Vehicle Connection/Communication 29 099 0
IDS - Powertrain Control Module (PCM) - Reprogram 29 120 5
IDS - Read/Delete DTCs (Not In Conjunction With Symptom Based Diagnostic) 29 099 4
Fuel Metering Valve (SCV) - Remove And Install (If needed) 23 402 1
Fuel Rail - Remove And Install (If needed) 23 450 1
Fuel Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) - Remove And Install (2.2L Duratorq-TDCi (DW) Diesel) 23 403 1
Fuel Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) - Remove And Install (Fuel Rail Removed) (2.4L / 3.2L Duratorq-TDCi (Puma) Diesel) 23 403 4
DTC P1250-1A And P1250-13 Present:
Fuel Metering Valve (SCV) Wiring Harness - Repair (Includes - Intake Manifold Remove And Install) 710121B80
DTC P0190 Present:
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Wiring Harness - Repair 710081B80
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part: Refer to the table below
ACES Condition Code: Refer to the table below
OASIS 206000, 614000, 614500, 614600

Repair/Claim Coding:
Description Causal Part ACES Codition Code
PCM calbration update only 29254 04
Renew SCV and PRV Finis Code of the SCV 41
Renew PRV only Finis Code of the PRV 42
Repair SCV wiring harness 36322 28 or 95
Repair fuel rail pressure sensor wiring harness
Production Action

An updated calibration of the PCM has been introduced into production since 01.07.2009 (build code 9A).
Service Instruction

See Summary.

For markets where FordEtis IDS is used, connect FordEtis IDS and select the appropriate symptoms from the concern descriptions above. Follow the FordEtis IDS instructions to rectify this concern.

NOTE: The warranty claims payment system will expect an RVC with any related warranty claim to avoid possible claim rejection.

For markets where FordEtis IDS is not available, follow the service repair instruction below:

IDS - Vehicle Connection/Communication

1. Connect IDS portable diagnostic unit to the vehicle and establish communication (VID the vehicle).

* Confirm the vehicle details are correct.

2. Check for any stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs).

Prime repair action - Calibration update only, do not install a new fuel pressure relief Valve (PRV) or the fuel metering valve (SCV)

1. NOTE: Failure to clear the PRV counters may result in P0089 and or P116E DTCs being active causing a warning light to be on. IDS will be unable to clear these DTCs until the counters are reset. Use IDS 63 DVD or a later version.

If P0089 and not one of P116E, P1250 or P121C are present then the PRV activation will most likely have been caused by the control system response to air in the fuel. This is corrected in the latest calibration files. The repair is to update the PCM to the latest available calibration, reset both of the PRV counters, clear any stored DTCs and reassess the performance of the vehicle.

* Select the <Toolbox> tab at the top of the screen.

* Select <Module Programming> and then press the tick.

* Select <Modul Reprogramming> and then <PCM>.

• Press the tick.

* Follow the further instructions from IDS standard and confirm.

* Module Reprogramming starts. Follow the on screen instructions and confirm.

* If concern is not resolved, follow below guidelines:

* If DTCs relevant to the concern but not one of P116E, P1250 or P121C are present, rectify according to IDS instructions and only use this TSB if further fuel system diagnosis is required.

* If any of these DTCs are present P116E, P1250, P121C in addition to P0089 DTC then complete the following steps.

Check calibration level - Required for all repairs

1. Revised calibrations for preventing air related PRV activation events also use an additional DTC (P116E) for PRV activation. If the P116E DTC is not present when a P0089 DTC is recorded it indicates the calibration is an older level and the calibration should be updated to the latest level once all necessary repairs are complete. If P0089 and P116E are both present then the current calibration level is sufficient to prevent air in fuel type failures.

2. If a P1250 DTC is present check the fuel metering valve (SCV) or wiring harness faults.

* If a P1250 DTC is present then this indicates that the SCV control system has created the PLV activation event. The status bytes of the DTC indicate the type of issue. Follow the instructions for the appropriate status bytes.

* P1250-71-XX: The status byte 71 indicates the SCV has seized resulting in a loss of fuel rail pressure control; this is normally due to sticky residue or fine particle contamination from the fuel. Inspect the fuel quality and if needed clean and flush the low pressure fuel system. Once the fuel system is clear of contamination the SCV must be replaced and if the issue was severe the PRV may be replaced. For additional information, refer to Transit 2006.5 Workshop Manual Section 303-04.

* P1250-13-XX: The status byte 13 indicates the SCV wiring has gone open circuit. Inspect and repair the wiring loom and connectors for faults. Once the wiring fault has been corrected the PRV should be replaced. For additional information, refer to Transit 2006.5 Workshop Manual Section 303-04.

* P1250-1A-XX: The status byte 1A indicates the SCV wiring has shorted to battery. This will not normally result in PLV activation but if the DTC is present inspect and repair the wiring harness and connectors for faults.

3. Check for P121C DTC.

* If a P121C DTC has been recorded this indicates the PLV may have been activated at a pressure much lower than the intended opening pressure. If this DTC is present the PRV will need to be replaced following any other repairs required (see Parts Required).

4. Instructions for when only P0089 and P116E DTCs are present:

* If only P0089 and P116E DTCs are recorded and not one of P1250 or P121C then one of the following may apply.

* Immediately following a calibration update: If the vehicle has recently had a calibration applied the PRV counters may not have been reset resulting in a false triggering of the DTCs P0089 and or P116E. This is a known issue on Transit 2006.5 (model year 2006/2007).

* Following a previous PRV activation event repair: If the vehicle has previously had a repair for a PRV activation event including a calibration update but the original PRV was not replaced and the vehicle has returned with intermittent loss of power it is possible that the PLV has been degraded by previous activation events and should now be replaced.

* If a P0190 DTC is present: There is an unconfirmed possibility of the DTCs P116E and P0089 being falsely set by an intermittent fuel rail pressure sensor wiring fault. Inspect the wiring to the fuel rail pressure sensor and repair as needed.

* If only P0089 and P116E DTCs are set and none of the above apply. If a vehicle has only the P0089 and P116E DTCs, exhibits drivability issues and has previously had a PRV replaced and DTCs correctly cleared. Treat this case as if it had a P1250-71-XX DTC. Inspect the fuel quality, clean and flush fuel system if needed then replace the SCV and if needed the PRV. For additional information, refer to Transit 2006.5 Workshop Manual Section 303-04.

5. Clear any stored DTCs.

6. Disconnect IDS standard from the vehicle.

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby fridge-medic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Hi Marytnx

Many thanks for the reply, very detailed and I appreciate your time.

Is it possible for me to get further info on the wiring harness repair 710081b80 ? or even access fords delails on this ?

Regards from Paul
fridge-medic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ian. » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:45 pm

you should take your van to him, seems to know what he's on about.
ian.
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby martynx » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 pm

fridge-medic wrote:Hi Marytnx

Many thanks for the reply, very detailed and I appreciate your time.

Is it possible for me to get further info on the wiring harness repair 710081b80 ? or even access fords delails on this ?

Regards from Paul

No problem Paul - i will see whats what on the wiring issue & get back to you :)

for egr/dpf deletes, power tuning, updates,cloning,speed limiter removal,cruise control, euro 3/4/5/6 limiters & key's !
martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby fridge-medic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:19 pm

ian. wrote:you should take your van to him, seems to know what he's on about.

Shame Im a long distance away, otherwise I would without hesitation.
fridge-medic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fridge-medic » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Been in to main dealers, they fitted new engine ECU, the fuel pressure is now OK and the diesel knock has gone, started & drove ok for 20 miles then started cutting out.

Limped back to ford dealers and had it plugged in to read codes, came up EGR valve, they fitted a new one & all ok for 7 miles, Now cutting out at various RPM, sometimes wont restart & takes a few tries, whilst this happens the van starts but refuses to rev up on accelerator pedal.

Sometimes when it has cut out I have dropped a gear to increase the revs and it comes to life.
Sometimes it has very low power and no load it wont rev past 3000 RPM.

I have personally fitted a new relay , the one in the box under the bonnet that controlls the engine managment unit.

Now at the end of my teather, loosing income and pissing customers off !
This problem is now taking over my life in a bad way

Need help or some prozac tablets !

Dont care how much it costs to fix, just need an expert that can diagnose the problem.

So my christmass wish list is a techno guy on TDCI problems, anyone that offers a fixable solution gets a case of wine or larger & thats no bull.
fridge-medic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 pm

sounds like loose/damaged wire/s the way its intermmittant,
or fuel injector sticking :!: they way the revs are and none starting.
allthough these injectors are supposed to be like normal injectors and not give hassle.

whens the last time youve changed fuel filter :idea:
what fuel do you use :?:

did you take martyns advice and leave a copy of that info in the van :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby fridge-medic » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:20 pm

Only use BP or other premium fuel stations, never used bio or red, fuel filter was changed 9k ago, I marked it and am 100% certain it was changed with the correct ford filter.

Yes I showed the ford technician the responces as he is ripping his hair out, he actually comes out of the workshop to liase with me.

Van has 51K miles , full service history with extra oil changes inbetween.

Now looking at a 59 plate vauxhaull vivaro in desperation
fridge-medic
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:29 pm

fridge-medic wrote:Only use BP or other premium fuel stations, never used bio or red, fuel filter was changed 9k ago, I marked it and am 100% certain it was changed with the correct ford filter.

Yes I showed the ford technician the responces as he is ripping his hair out, he actually comes out of the workshop to liase with me.

Van has 51K miles , full service history with extra oil changes inbetween.

Now looking at a 59 plate vauxhaull vivaro in desperation

:lol: :lol:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby lightning » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:53 am

The Ford dealer "reprogrammed the PCM" on my Transit Connect last summer and since then it's not smooth to drive, it seems to have uneven pickup during moderate acceleration. It's worse when cold or with the aircon on. It was OK before they did it. Also it revs up and down on its own now when you are reversing at low RPM, as if it thinks its going to stall.

Iv'e taken it back and asked them to reprogram it again but they say it "can't be done" unless the computer "prompts them to update the PCM".

Is it possible they could have downloaded the wrong software, my van is slightly unusual spec (110ps with aircon)

I know they can manually update it, Martynx I don't suppose you could post the procedure so I can leave it on my seat or give them a copy? It would be much appreciated. I'd pay you to reprogram it but I'm in Stockport...too far away from you.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby slogger » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:14 am

Cant the dealers of all electronic motor vehicles simply bypass your wiring and test run the van on their own set up thus bypassing all your wiring , then if the motor runs sweet they know not to change parts ? if not why not

Another nail
slogger
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby martynx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:42 pm

lightning wrote:The Ford dealer "reprogrammed the PCM" on my Transit Connect last summer and since then it's not smooth to drive, it seems to have uneven pickup during moderate acceleration. It's worse when cold or with the aircon on. It was OK before they did it. Also it revs up and down on its own now when you are reversing at low RPM, as if it thinks its going to stall.

Iv'e taken it back and asked them to reprogram it again but they say it "can't be done" unless the computer "prompts them to update the PCM".

Is it possible they could have downloaded the wrong software, my van is slightly unusual spec (110ps with aircon)

I know they can manually update it, Martynx I don't suppose you could post the procedure so I can leave it on my seat or give them a copy? It would be much appreciated. I'd pay you to reprogram it but I'm in Stockport...too far away from you.

Is it still in warranty ?

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby martynx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm

slogger wrote:Cant the dealers of all electronic motor vehicles simply bypass your wiring and test run the van on their own set up thus bypassing all your wiring , then if the motor runs sweet they know not to change parts ? if not why not

Another nail

Its so completely electronically controlled that it would only run sweet if all the electronic systems are working good, so catch 22 really.. :(

martynx
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby lightning » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 pm

The van is 18 months old so yes, it's under warranty. However I've given up trying to get it done under warranty as the dealers can't find out what is wrong. It's not a fault as such, no codes are stored, it just does not drive as well as it did before.

Accelerating flat out it's fine, slow acceleration it's fine, but medium acceleration, say increasing speed from 30 to 40 in third or fourth, it's just not smooth. If you are reversing at low RPM the engine often starts going rrrrrrrum rrrrrrrum rrrrrrrum rrrrrrrum on it's own, with puffs of black smoke from the exhaust.

This is all since the "PCM reprogram". I'm happy to pay for another PCM reprogram if there's a chance it will improve matters.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits