*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Starting problems!

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Starting problems!

Postby safetymatman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Sorry this may be a long one and being non technical may need some explaining.

I run a 52 plate 2.0 diesel transit mwb which has done about 87000 miles with full service history. I have had the van 7 years and it is a joy (probably not the best way to describe a transit but it really is!)

I had a new starter motor fitted about 4 years ago.

A few days ago the van wouldn't start and gave the usual clicking sound. Despite numerous attempts to jump start the diagnosis was another starter motor. I had a new starter motor fitted only to be told of a 'common' problem of dust infiltrating the starter motors from some inner flywheel which has been reducing the life of starter motors and in some cases invalidating the starter motor waranties.

Then, horror of horrors, the van wouldn't start this morning and the dreaded clicking noise returned, despite a previous 200 mile run!

This time a quick jump from a friends battery and she fired up.

I am hoping this is just a weak battery due to the suddden cold snap however could I really have gone thru another starter motor within a week or less?, is it time for a new alternator altho there is no red dashboard light indicating a lack of charge while on the move.

Any ideas gratefully received please and is the above as I am told a 'common' transit or ford diesel problem?

Then I can move on to the slow dripping diesel from the fuel pump, again apparently another common problem?!? Thank god for sympathetic mot inspectors!
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Starting problems!

Postby winterheating » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:39 pm

are you saying that there was dust in a starter that was removed :?: :?:

it can only be a 100ps or 125ps if it has DMF. is it :?: :?:

if so then it will be flywheel breaking down which once started will deteriate very quickly so would kill a new starter very quickly.
then theyd be no need wasting money on an alt.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby SirKit Breaker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Before spending any money check the engine earth strap, if its OK have a discharge test done on the battery, local garage should do it for a few bob.

if the earth strap is corroded etc it will give you some proper aggro especially when its cold.

Cheers........Howard
GREAT BRITAIN LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.
SirKit Breaker
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby safetymatman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 am

I have been told that flywheel deterioration is very common on Transits.

When the garage replaced the starter motor they got rid of as much 'dust' from the flywheel housing as they could, and ensured it was 'clean' for the new starter motor.

he garage didn't realy comment on the amount of dust in the old starter motor, they just made me aware of the problem and gave me a manufacturers technical advice sheet (valeo) regarding the probem.

At first I thought it might be a typical garage wind up to get more money from a simple replacement starter motor and now it has concerned me.

I have also been told that to replace the flywheel is a pig of a job and very expensive - is this true?

I will have a look at the earth today having said that she has just started up now and is about to do a local run so all good today!
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dan T » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:27 pm

safetymatman wrote:I have been told that flywheel deterioration is very common on Transits.

When the garage replaced the starter motor they got rid of as much 'dust' from the flywheel housing as they could, and ensured it was 'clean' for the new starter motor.

he garage didn't realy comment on the amount of dust in the old starter motor, they just made me aware of the problem and gave me a manufacturers technical advice sheet (valeo) regarding the probem.

At first I thought it might be a typical garage wind up to get more money from a simple replacement starter motor and now it has concerned me.

I have also been told that to replace the flywheel is a pig of a job and very expensive - is this true?

I will have a look at the earth today having said that she has just started up now and is about to do a local run so all good today!

The advice sheet is in all new starter motors for transits, although not all had the dual mass flywheel fitted. If you pm'd me your reg i would be able to tell you.
It's an expensive job to fix (not really a pig of a job) if it does have one, but you can change it for a solid conversion kit which will eliminate future problems.
I'll be honest i think it's the battery.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby safetymatman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Hallo

My reg is BT52 ZHV

I am know leaning more towards the battery as it is the original one and whereas before, when I had the starter motor replaced, it wouldn't take a jump start i.e battery cables whereas now it does.

I am still 'concerned' about the 'flywheel' situation due to the possible expense in the future.

Many thanks
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dan T » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:46 pm

safetymatman wrote:Hallo

My reg is BT52 ZHV

I am know leaning more towards the battery as it is the original one and whereas before, when I had the starter motor replaced, it wouldn't take a jump start i.e battery cables whereas now it does.

I am still 'concerned' about the 'flywheel' situation due to the possible expense in the future.

Many thanks

Transit 2000, 2.0L Duratorq DI (75PS), Diamond White 73

VIN Number: WF0VXXBD*********
Registration Number: B******
Registration Date: 31.12.2002
Registration Country: GB

Primary Features
Build Date: 08.11.2002
Vehicle Line: Transit 2000
Cab Style: Regular Cargo Van LCF
Series: 280S Series
Engine: 2.0L Duratorq DI (75PS)
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual - VXT75
Drive: RHD FWD
Axle Ratio: 4.23
Emission: Light Duty Truck Stage III
Territory: (+)"GB"
Paint: Diamond White 73
Interior Fabric: Stylize (-I-C)

This tells me you DON'T have a dual mass flywheel fitted :D
So you can be 99.9% sure it's the battery, although the garage should really have checked it first :?
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby safetymatman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:02 pm

Top geezer!

Thankyou for the information.

I am off battery hunting this afternoon.

I guess my van just likes a new starter motor every four years which is,to me a small price to pay for my Transit's general day to day reliability.

This is a relief and I only wish some garages wouldn't try and get more work from people for a simple job, if you see what I mean.

Thankyou for taking the time to help me with this, much appreciated!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dan T » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:07 pm

The daft thing is it dosen't take much longer to change a starter as it does to change a battery :lol:
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ake » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:37 pm

I agree with Dan, Battery dying
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Man with a van » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:43 pm

could you tell me if i have a duel mass flywheal fitted reg No Y154 NEN as i have same probs thanks
Man with a van
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dan T » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Man with a van wrote:could you tell me if i have a duel mass flywheal fitted reg No Y154 NEN as i have same probs thanks

No DMF Fitted :D
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby winterheating » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:24 am

if your on your 3rd starter :shock: :shock: at that age and milage and dont have a DMF thats braking down, id be investigating further.
the water pump can leak onto starter, which isnt goodif you run low obn coolant. aLSO The fuel pump can leak onto it.
i'd get some simple checks done if you cant do it yourself,
you can check battery levels, and voltage, voltage when cranking aT battery and starter, this will identify and connection or cable damage, if theres any difference..
Last edited by winterheating on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:26 am

safetymatman wrote:Sorry this may be a long one and being non technical may need some explaining.

I run a 52 plate 2.0 diesel transit mwb which has done about 87000 miles with full service history. I have had the van 7 years and it is a joy (probably not the best way to describe a transit but it really is!)

I had a new starter motor fitted about 4 years ago.

A few days ago the van wouldn't start and gave the usual clicking sound. Despite numerous attempts to jump start the diagnosis was another starter motor. I had a new starter motor fitted only to be told of a 'common' problem of dust infiltrating the starter motors from some inner flywheel which has been reducing the life of starter motors and in some cases invalidating the starter motor waranties.

Then, horror of horrors, the van wouldn't start this morning and the dreaded clicking noise returned, despite a previous 200 mile run!

This time a quick jump from a friends battery and she fired up.

I am hoping this is just a weak battery due to the suddden cold snap however could I really have gone thru another starter motor within a week or less?, is it time for a new alternator altho there is no red dashboard light indicating a lack of charge while on the move.

Any ideas gratefully received please and is the above as I am told a 'common' transit or ford diesel problem?

Then I can move on to the slow dripping diesel from the fuel pump, again apparently another common problem?!? Thank god for sympathetic mot inspectors!

just re-read, thats what will be killing starter.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby safetymatman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 am

Thankyou for the above, all good advice.

I have now got a battery and it will be fitted tommorrow, I will let you know the outcome, fingers crossed.

Just going back to the slow diesel leak/drip. I have again avoided this as I have been told it can be expensive however have never had it costed.

Does anyone know roughly the cost to fix this and can they reccomend anyone in the Midlands who would do this work?

Many thanks

Ps. Just tried my van and it just clicked at me, it is about -30 tho and as I said above new battery to be fitted in the morning!
safetymatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Technical Problems & Questions