*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mkg sliding door sill.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mkg sliding door sill.

Postby #32 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi the sill underneath the sliding door has pretty much rusted its way out! Its a mess underneath. How much would I be looking at to get a new one welded on? Or would anyone on here do it for me for some ££? Im on the wirral.

Cheers George
One goal, One vision.
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mkg sliding door sill.

Postby sc_BK » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:23 pm

I think the sill on it's own is about £60-£80
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby mr. pitts » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 am

Ayup George me dook,
had the same trouble with my old Mk 6 :( The sill is a Ford only part, i had mine done by a coachworks, & it cost £280 all in. A lot of £££££ i know, but you could not tell it had been done. When you get yours fixed, get some Waxoyl inside the new sill ASAP, they seem to rot from the inside out-for a change :) Merry Xmas, & don't drink & drive.
mr. pitts
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby #32 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Cheers bud. £280 does seem rather expensive, Might have ago myself :? I can weld to some extant, suppose Id have to practice abit first! It would only take somoene who nows what there doing an hour to weld the new one on max? I would spray it etc... myself. Might be worth trying to find a decent welder and asking I guess?

Its not a big job is it? seems fairy straight forward?

Cheers for the help.
One goal, One vision.
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mr. pitts » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:34 pm

Ayup again George,
expensive? Well, you have to weigh up the pro's & con's. It didn't seem like a big job to me at first, but the sliding door has to come off to weld it all up properly, & that can be a bitch of a job in it's self. I could have done it myself, but i don't have any shelter to work in, & november ain't the time of year to be lying on yer back welding & grinding etc not to mention spraying in the cold, it just didn't work for me, so i had to pay. I also don't have the technology involved in welding bodywork & not fiking up the electronics. I would have had to get the mig bottle filled, buy paint (metellic) et all, so it was more or less cheaper to pay for a first class job. I've spent hundreds of hours working on classic cars i've had in the past, where life was simple, where if you disconnected the battery, only the clock stopped! :D It's a whole different thing nowadays :( In those days i was young & stupid, & would dive headlong into a big welding job & not care two hoots. But now i'm older & have more responsibilities, & can't afford to firk summat up as it just costs so damn much to put it right. Looking back, i sometimes think i was better off when i hadn't got a pot to pass in, when i would gleefully repair speedo cables 'cos i just couldn't go to the garage & buy an unobtainable part even if i had the money........ee lad, nostalgia isn't what it was in the good owd days, it's all gone modern now...... :cry:
mr. pitts
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sc_BK » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:33 pm

How bad it the sill, is it just one patch or is the whole thing crumbling away?

On my SWB I welded in a section about 12" long of "new" (scrap!) metal which should delay getting a whole sill for another year or 2. It was my first attempt at MIG welding, it isn't particually neat but you can't notice unless you get down on your hands and knees.
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby #32 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:38 pm

Thanks again for your replies, there of much help.

When you put it like that, it sounds like a good price, but still i dont think its a price id want to pay? I think I'd much rather spend a week working on it, learning and saving at the same time!? The side door has to come off anyways as its getting replaced (dinted to fehook!) (anybody got one for a swb low roof mk6? really struggling to find a decent priced one.) so that I would be doing anyways.

The sill is fairly bad, but if I cut out the bad bits im thinking I would be able to weld a decent length of it on as its only the very underside so wouldnt mind so much what it looked like. I have an arc welder here that i could use, so thats definatley an option.
Would I need to disconnect the ECU or anything when welding? Alsow is there any electrics/anything I should watch out for when doing it?

Cheers George
One goal, One vision.
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:54 pm

You should ideally disconnect the batery, alternator and ecu
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby sc_BK » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 am

Advice differs, I only disconected the battery, and the van still works :)

Arc welders aren't ideal for thin body panels, if you can turn it down to 30 or 40amps and use 1.5mm rods you might just be able to do it but you will have to just a quick flash at a time to keep the heat down, and the finish won't be great.

You can see in this thread the bit of the sill I patched up viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47424&start=15 using an old bit of sheet steel and a gasless MIG
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Brains_transit » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:17 am

i bought the sill from ford with a slight discount for £55
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby #32 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 pm

sc_BK wrote:Advice differs, I only disconected the battery, and the van still works :)

Arc welders aren't ideal for thin body panels, if you can turn it down to 30 or 40amps and use 1.5mm rods you might just be able to do it but you will have to just a quick flash at a time to keep the heat down, and the finish won't be great.

You can see in this thread the bit of the sill I patched up viewtopic.php?f=27&t=47424&start=15 using an old bit of sheet steel and a gasless MIG

My sill is in the same stae as yours then. The arc isnt a very good one, so perhaps its best giving it a miss.
Wouldnt mind getting a mig welder as Im fairly decent at using one, but cant really justify the cost for one sill. If I cut the old stuff off and got a decent welder to weld a decent bit of metal back on, surely he wouldnt charge much? Itd take him all of 15 minutes!?

£55 for a new sill seems very good, Im starting to think that for the sake of just wleding a bit of metal on, I'll just give that a go and see how well it lasts I guess!
One goal, One vision.
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits