*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

1989 f reg lwb engine diagram

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

1989 f reg lwb engine diagram

Postby mason sherwood » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 pm

ive just had to replace engine in f reg lwb transit minibus 195.000 miles pretty good life its pre banana engine 2.5 diesel lucus fuel pump is there anyone out there that can help finding engine diagram specifically fuel system as im now stuck many thanks M
mason sherwood

Re: 1989 f reg lwb engine diagram

Postby dodgy01 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:57 pm

whats the prob buddy as much info as poss please
Last edited by dodgy01 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dodgy01
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AndyG » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Lucas CAV or Lucas EPIC :?: (turbo)

What year is the replacement engine from :?:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby mason sherwood » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:41 pm

Andyg wrote:Lucas CAV or Lucas EPIC :?: (turbo)

What year is the replacement engine from :?:

its a lucus cav engine came off 2.5 h reg
original engine f reg bosch fuel pump
need piping and engine diagrams elecs etc anything would be a help
mason sherwood

Postby AndyG » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 am

It should be more or less identical to the one you're swapping it out with :!:

What exactly is it you need :?:

Wiring for alternator should be the same and an ign. feed to the pump stop valve :|
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby Luke » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 pm

mason sherwood wrote:need piping and engine diagrams elecs etc anything would be a help

have you touched the pipes from the pump to the injectors :?: or have you just put the complete engine in :?: :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby mason sherwood » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:09 pm

Luke wrote:
mason sherwood wrote:need piping and engine diagrams elecs etc anything would be a help

have you touched the pipes from the pump to the injectors :?: or have you just put the complete engine in :?: :D

its gone in whole but the fuel inlet/outlet pump is similar to original but arrow markings are completly different ive a mate changing it as im disabled so im going by his description the inlet/outlet has cylindrical centre and two pairs of pipe fittings from either side
mason sherwood

Postby merc300ce » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:37 am

hi all, heya mace

Im the one working on this particular engine and will state that they are both standar 2.5Di York engines. The original had a Bosch pump and the replacement has a Lucas pump. All the electrics have gone back fine along with water system. The problem im having here is a bit confusing:

I have the two pipes coming from the fuel tank, one feed and one return, stardard setup. On the top of the fuel filter there are for sockets, 2 in 2 out. One side is the in out to the pump and the other side i assume would be in out to the tank, BUT, i also have a third pipe entering the equation here, it runs around the side of the engine to a 'thing' that the bosch fueled engine didnt have, on the right hand side then it comes back to where the rest of the pipes are, What is this extra bit, and anyone got any pictures or technical drawings of the fueling sytem for it so i got a datum to work from.

Any help here would be a gem.

here are sum pics i just took to aid in my description:

regards

Rad
merc300ce

Postby andy188 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi, i have a 1989 diesel in mine with bosch pump, (seems to be a problem with the pump at mo), will try to help as we have 3 off vans of this era, the first picture (post 1991 engines) is the lift pump i belive on the right hand side of the engine, below the exhaust manifold, feed from fuel tank to this, from this lift pump to fuel filter, then too diesel pump(should be allready fitted), return from pump to fuel filter (should be allready fitted),return to fuel tank, not sure on your third pipe, will look at my brothers (he has lucas pump on his)over the weekend and get back to you, hope this helps. andy
andy188

Postby merc300ce » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:43 am

Thank you for your reply. I must admit i was overloading myself trying to over think it. Yesterday i got the engine singing. I had it cranking and go a facefull of diesel from the lift pump. so i thought Ah! i sucked on both pipes in the conduit, one bringing up air and the other giving me a mouthfull of diesel, yum. I put the pipe from the lift pump into the input of the fuel filter and the bleed off pipes with the 'T' piece (2nd pic) into the outlet. Using a few cups of diesel, i hotwired the starter motor and cranked the engine whiclst holding the pickup pipe to the lift pump in the cup of diesel. After it sucked up a few cups, i got blasted in the hand with the exhaust (no manifold fitted yet) i shouted RESULT! lol Only prob i have now is that i got to join the plastic pipe to the lift pump that has been canibalised by the person who suipplied the engine, and the return pipe to the tank i need to try and get on that 't' piece, a lot harder than it sounds!!

any ideas on joining the other two pipes would be ideal as one is metal, the other is plastic

regards

rad
merc300ce

Postby andy188 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Hi, good to hear you are getting it going, i use rubber fuel pipe to jion, i suggest you use copper pipe (screw fix, or plumbing centre) for the fuel lines as much as possible, with rubber fuel pipe to join from the copper to tee piece and lift pump etc, that plastic tubbing is a nightmare to seal, im looking at ripping mine all out and doing this, (petrol to diesel conversion 9 mths ago, ran ok for 6 mounths, now playing up, not sure what it is yet,) hope this helps, did you manage too sort out the tee piece bit ??. what are you doing with your old engine, i could be after your bosch pump if you were thinking of letting it go, if its pre lift pump model, being a bit cheecky i know.let us know how you get on etc. andy
andy188

Postby merc300ce » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:40 am

Heya

I have not had that much luck with the stupid plastic pipe and the tee piece, how the hell did ford manage to fit them so well???? I have managed to get it on a bit but i am not at all happy with it, and if i was in a workshop, i would not let the customer have it back, but it works atm.

In regards to the old engine and bosch fuel pump, the engine needs an overhaul as it appears to now be incredibly hard to turn (main bearings shagged, rings dead etc) and the old fuel pump needs a new case as one hole of the 3 mounting holes has broken off, this was one of the first major problems we had with it, i bodged it back using a large plate behind and bolting it tight. You'll have to speak to mason, who started this thread, as it is his old engine (even if it is making the exxon valdez look like a little spill lol) im sure that something may be arranged if it is any use to you in this semi broken state

rad
merc300ce

Postby andy188 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:18 pm

HI,

that plastic tubbing is a nightmare, you can use a hair dryer to warm it up, sometimes helps, (copper and rubber fuel line a lot easier),i had a look at my brothers van with lucas pump, not sure on this tee piece you mention, have you resolved where it fits in your fuel circuit, have you got masons number so i can contact him with regards to fuel pump, thanks,

andy
andy188

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits