*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

how to bypass a mk7 egr valve?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: how to bypass a mk7 egr valve?

Postby Tdci_boy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:08 am

Mine will be out of warranty in July, I have so far been having them at 25,000 mile intervals, no doubt I'll get 1 more before the warranty is out & then I plan on keeping it for a year so It looks like I'm going to pay for 1 unfortunately, if I do I'll strip it to have a look
Transit Custom Limited H1 L2 DCIV, now converted to van by removing the seats etc so now twin side loading doors, fully kitted out with Sortimo racking, always loaded to capacity & averages 35mpg :D
Tdci_boy
GLX Posse

Postby Luke » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 pm

well let us know if it works :D

if it does i'll have 1 to do soon :lol:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby pusd » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Don't see the point of buying an EGR out of warranty - it'll probably just fail again.
Just blank it off or pull the multi plug, yes it'll put the light on but it's literally a couple of minute job to remove the blank, the light will reset itself within a couple of journeys if you need the light off.

Phil
pusd
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 pm

pusd wrote:the light will reset itself within a couple of journeys if you need the light off.

Phil

Mine didn't.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby ake » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:34 am

Mike Spence wrote:
pusd wrote:the light will reset itself within a couple of journeys if you need the light off.

Phil

Mine didn't.

Neither did mine, it stayed on
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Victer van man » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 pm

mine still on 10,000 mile later
[b]Jumbo driver's go the distance[/b
Victer van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tdci_boy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Just a thought, Has any one tried stripping an egr taking out the middle cog to leave the stepper motor able to do it's thing, then just putting a blanking plate between the egr & the exhaust, surely as long as the ecu detects the presence of the stepper motor it will be happy. or am I just mad :? :D
Transit Custom Limited H1 L2 DCIV, now converted to van by removing the seats etc so now twin side loading doors, fully kitted out with Sortimo racking, always loaded to capacity & averages 35mpg :D
Tdci_boy
GLX Posse

Postby ake » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:23 pm

I know that vantuner tryed to blank one but it brought the light on
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Tdci_boy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:43 am

My thinking was that just blanking off & leaving the siezed or broken component in place would probably still bring on the light, but if the stepper motor still works but something else has gone wrong then as long as the ecu can still see the motor & it's movement then it should be happy, but of course if it also detects flow then I am talking rubbish, no doubt I'll find out when mine goes wrong out of warranty. :(
Tdci_boy
GLX Posse

Postby Luke » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 am

when they break which bit actually breaks :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 am

Tdci_boy wrote:Just a thought, Has any one tried stripping an egr taking out the middle cog to leave the stepper motor able to do it's thing, then just putting a blanking plate between the egr & the exhaust, surely as long as the ecu detects the presence of the stepper motor it will be happy. or am I just mad :? :D

I guess some idiot will have done that......

Mike Spence wrote:Image
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Victer van man » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Tdci_boy wrote:My thinking was that just blanking off & leaving the siezed or broken component in place would probably still bring on the light, but if the stepper motor still works but something else has gone wrong then as long as the ecu can still see the motor & it's movement then it should be happy, but of course if it also detects flow then I am talking rubbish, no doubt I'll find out when mine goes wrong out of warranty. :(

Not sure if I'm right but I think I heard someone say it measures the turbo pressure some how, so if it stays closed coz the cog is removed or blanked off the light will come on :?: :?:
[b]Jumbo driver's go the distance[/b
Victer van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tdci_boy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:31 pm

I don't know, there must be someone that's had a play, & there must be something that fails & perhaps with a bit of modification perhaps more reliability can be built in, all these units getting thrown away in the name of emissions is not very clever
Tdci_boy
GLX Posse

Postby davetherave » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:20 pm

hello there just putting my 2p in the hat ,just replaced my egr valve (mk7 80000 miles).have the old one and going to strip it down and have a play (electrician by trade).looks to me like a very simple part ,one dc motor ,one valve ,and one Potentiometer (tells the ecu what position the valve is in).will report back
davetherave
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Tdci_boy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:59 pm

There is that man we been looking for, if there is some re engineering needing doing the precision engineers in Bournemouth that I use are fantastic, why was yours not done under warranty ?
Tdci_boy
GLX Posse

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits