*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 transit 2.4 tddi timing chain jumped

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk6 transit 2.4 tddi timing chain jumped

Postby caitfly » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:58 pm

HELP NEEDED PLEASE

I HAVE A 54 PLATE T350 90 PS .I BOUGHT IT AS A NONE RUNNER 60K MILES IT WAS RUNNING CRAP AND VERY SMOKEY LIKE THE TIMING WAS OUT SO I PULLED OFF THE TIMING COVER AND LINED UP THE TIMING THE R/H CAM SHAFT TIMING WAS OUT AND THE TENTIONER WAS U/S .I WENT TO FORD AND BOUGHT A NEW CHAIN AND TENTIONER AND FITTED BUT IT IS STILL RUNING CRAP .

DO YOU THINK IT HAS BENT THE VALVES OR DOES ANYTHING ELSE GO . IAM A HGV MECHANIC AND NOT USED TO WORKING ON THESE .I WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE ROCKER COVER BUT THAT LOOKS LIKE A MISSION WITH THE INJECTOR PIPES IN THE WAY

ANY HELP /INFORMATION WOULD BE GREAT BUT I THINK IT WILL BE HEAD OFF ON MONDAY

CHEERS MARK
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: mk6 transit 2.4 tddi timing chain jumped

Postby angeleye » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:35 pm

its more than likely the camshaft carrier has cracked take rocker cover off, look for loose bolts, faint black marks (look like oil runs), sometimes the rocker rail will bend as well....bear in mind that the carrier and head are a mathched pair,there lined bored together, ...head and housing are lazer etched on the side with matching numbers,if you could find a camshaft carrier with same numbers you should be ok (but very hard to find) if you put a unmatched pair on you will be doing the job again. do a search the subject has been covered, to give you an idea of cost £500 head and carrier from dealer thats for a tdci but will be similar price for a di . you may be able to weld carrier but you would have to find a very, very good engineering company who new what they are doing,..having said that there are plenty of di engines in the scrappies, not like the tdci..also if you change head there are 3 different head gaskets (determined by 1,2,or 3 cut outs)
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby caitfly » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:12 pm

THANKS FOR THAT I SHOULD GET TIME TO STRIP IT OFF NEXT WEEK AT SOME POINT
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jimmy the jock » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am

probably snapped cam carrier ,check very carefully as cracks will be small . can be welded and repaired down here with local engine machine shop, quite a time consuming repair but straight forward
jimmy the jock
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby caitfly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 pm

GOT STARTED STRIPPING IT LAST NIGHT .YES THE CAM BOX IS CRACKED ALL THE BOLTS WERE LOOSE .I DONT HAVE THE HEAD OFF YET AS RAN OUT OF TIME .

I WAS GIVEN A ENGINE TO DAY WITH A ROD BROKEN .ITS OUT A 2004 125PS WILL THE HEAD BE ANY GOOD FOR MY 90PS IF ITS NOT DAMAGED THAT IS

I WILL ALSO NEED TO GET A HEAD SET AND DO THE HEAD BOLTS NEED CHANGED OR CAN YOU USE THEM A COUPLE OF TIMES .IF THERE IS ANY DOUGHT I WILL RENEW THEM

CHEERS MARK
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby angeleye » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:23 pm

should be ok with head bolts, make sure you get right head gasket,same gasket as your own engine not donor engine.do a bit more checking on head ,do a search of forum, not sure if 125 came as di and tdci,sure one of the techs will advise, if there is head sensor (not sure on your engine)at the back of the head, renew it before fitting head, as its a pig to do with head fitted.
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby caitfly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm

I have now replaced the head and put back together .It started no problem and was ticking over for a couple of mins then cut out .
Looks like it has ran out of fuel .I have put fuel in now but wont start .

Ive heard these are a pig to bleed and any tips would be great .

I dont want to start with the easy start
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 pm

angeleye wrote:should be ok with head bolts, make sure you get right head gasket,same gasket as your own engine not donor engine.do a bit more checking on head ,do a search of forum, not sure if 125 came as di and tdci,sure one of the techs will advise, if there is head sensor (not sure on your engine)at the back of the head, renew it before fitting head, as its a pig to do with head fitted.

2.0 fwd 125ps is tdci
2.4 rwd 125ps is tddi
:wink:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby winterheating » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:46 pm

caitfly wrote:I have now replaced the head and put back together .It started no problem and was ticking over for a couple of mins then cut out .
Looks like it has ran out of fuel .I have put fuel in now but wont start .

Ive heard these are a pig to bleed and any tips would be great .

I dont want to start with the easy start

can i ask why you changed the head :?: or was it just cos you couldnt find a matched cam carrier, btw the 3 digit code to match head and cam carrier is above no.6 inlet port.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby caitfly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:04 pm

I changed the head as the cam box was cracked and I was told they are matched/line bored to the head .

it is a 54 reg 2.4 tddi 350 pick up RWD

Iam a hgv mechanic and everything is fitted as it should be. I am just not used to working on these vehicles if it was a bus or a hgv there is a hand primer get the fuel up crack the injector pipes and away they go .

only sometimes we do use a little easy start if it wont go .

cheers mark
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:16 pm

caitfly wrote:I changed the head as the cam box was cracked and I was told they are matched/line bored to the head .
it is a 54 reg 2.4 tddi 350 pick up RWD

Iam a hgv mechanic and everything is fitted as it should be. I am just not used to working on these vehicles if it was a bus or a hgv there is a hand primer get the fuel up crack the injector pipes and away they go .

only sometimes we do use a little easy start if it wont go .

cheers mark

if you need one again you match them by getting same no. lasered above no.6 inlet port. :wink:

the best way with these is get some clear tubes that are tight fit to the flow and return on filter housing on the tank side, turn ignition to 2 crack all injectors off pour diesel down pipe using funnel or big syringe, keep pipes above filter housing and return pipe into can of diesel.
with the ignition on and a working fuel pump the fuel can pass through pump and to an injector pipe, get plenty of diesel coming out of pipe, then turn engine 180 degrees to do next injector pipe, then should be able to do all tighten up and crank till flow and return has no air at all in it and should fire up. then the filter should be full of diesel and will be able to reconnect flow and retutrn from tank, but will prob get air in the filter again after running for a bit, take filter of and fill with diesel then should be right.
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby caitfly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:55 pm

THANKS AGAIN WILL GIVE IT A TRY TOMMOROW AFTERNOON . I WAS THINKING ON BUYING ANOTHER NON RUNNER IN THE

NEXT WEEK OR 2 AT THE COMMERCIAL AUCTIONS AS THERE IS ALLWAYS A MK6/7 TRANSIT THERE BUT AFTER THIS ONE

I AM NOT SURE . THE PARTS PRICES SEEM TO BE REALLY HIGH I WAS AT FORD 3 TIMES, 1ST TIME CHAIN AND TENTIONER

£118 2ND TIME HEAD GASKET AND HEAD BOLTS £98 BUT AFTER STRIPPING IT DOWN AND REBUILDING I WAS NOT HAPPY

WITH THE NEW TENTIONER SO I PHONED FORD AND WAS ADVISED THERE WAS A NEW TENTIONER AND GUIDE ANOTHER

£90 AND I HAVE NOT EVEN PAID FOR THE 2ND HAND HEAD YET OR SERVICE ITEMS STILL TO FIT WHEN RUNNING .

BUT WE WILL SEE AS I LOVE TRANSITS AND HAVE 3 MYSELF AND MY DAD HAS A 2.0 04 FWD AND MY BROTHER AN OLD

99 REG 190 PICK AND I LOOK AFTER THEM ALL AND UP TO NOW ITS THE OLD 190 THAT GETS THE MOST WORK DONE

BUT IT REALLY IS SIMPLY IVE CHANGED ENGINES,CLUTCHES ,G/BOXES ,FUEL PUMPS ,ROAD SPRINGS ECT ,ECT YOU NAME

IT IVE CHANGED IT AND IT IS ALLWAYS READY FOR WORK THE NEXT DAY PITY THEY GOT SO COMPLEX
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby winterheating » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:06 am

do you get a good discount at ford :?:
prob would of got away with just changing the tensioner, you prob noticed that theres hardly any chain on the inlet cam so it always jumps there anyway new chain or not. tensioners are common for needing replacing, think they recommenmd changing at 60k like you would do a cam belt :?:

you should be able to get £150 back for the head :?: if you check the no. lasered above no.6 inlet port i may have a cam carrier to match then :?:
winterheating
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby caitfly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:13 am

I will check the nos on the head and let you know
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby caitfly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:23 pm

Thanks for al the help had the transit going for a few weeks no with out a problem .was a pure pig to get going after running out of fuel ended up using the easy start .

I hate using this stuff but give it its due it works .
caitfly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits