*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Side loading door locked and won't open

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Side loading door locked and won't open

Postby domcat38 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi, bought an 06 plate t350 yesterday, got it home and having annoying problems already. The side loading door would not lock from the remote control, all other doors did. Anyway, I got in the van and locked it from the inside using the manual lock knob, which locked it, then used the remote to lock the other doors. Came out to it this morning, used the remote to unlock the van including the rear and side loading doors, and the side door won't open. Got in the back through the rear doors, then tried to unlock the door using the manual lock... not having any of it. The door is locked solid, you can hear the catch working when you pull the external or internal handle though so I don't think it's that. When I turn the manual lock knob to the unlock position, nothing happens, no noise, clicks etc, it just returns to it's normal upright position.

Spoke to the dealer I bought it off, and I'm going to take it back on monday for them to have a look, but I would like to know if there is something I'm doing wrong or if I could fix it myself (could do with it working this weekend and can't be arsed to go right back across London on monday if truth be told!). I have tried locking/unlocking with the remote and the key in the drivers door, all doors work properly except that side door... it's jammed shut and is doing my head in!

Is this a known or common fault?
domcat38

Re: Side loading door locked and won't open

Postby Bob Peters » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:05 pm

Try turning the key Twice in quick sucession. I had a similar problem & this worked till I got a new remote fob.

Bob Peters.
Bob Peters
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby david still » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:33 pm

make sure the sld is pushed fully home/shut if its not that can cause lock not to work.
david still
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby stu0500 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:22 pm

ive checked mine too. lock the van and push the door where the contacts are then try and unlock the van. if it unlocks its the contacts. try and bring the plate closer together.

stu
2012 vivaro 2.0 CDTI 140 bhp sortimo racking elec pack
2016 Transit custom Limited 155 ordered (with toys)
2013 Audi S4 B8.5 pearl black
2015 seat Leon FR 184 TDI Pearl black
stu0500
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby domcat38 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Cheers for the advice guys, I appreciate it!

Tried the turning the key twice in quick succesion, didn't work. Tried pushing on the door where the contacts are, no difference either. The door is fully closed as well, so the contacts must be touching.

Spoke to the dealer, I'm taking it in tomorrow now. I'll let you know how I get on...
domcat38

Postby nimmo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:17 pm

hi mate, how did you get on i'm going through the same thing,
nimmo

Postby transit260white » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:39 am

hi i have a 52 reg transit with the same problem the door does lock and unlock but the side door still wont open any ideas :?:
transit260white

Postby nunu » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:20 pm

i have the same prob mine locks but wont unlock,when i clean contcts up with sandpaper it wors for a few goes but go back to it and it wont unlock.

try holding it in the unlock position while someone pulls the outside handle thats how i get mine open
nunu
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby domcat38 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 am

Well, got it looked at by the dealers I bought it off, they had a bit of fiddle about with the wiring that connects to the mechanism in the door and hey presto, it opened. It then started working on the key fob again, but after a few goes it locked up again.

Anyway, they said they would replace the mechanism in the door as it was probably that rather than the wiring. They are doing it under warranty on Monday, so no cost to me.

I don't know if this is a common fault or not (although judging by other posts it's not uncommon), but for anyone looking at paying for getting this fixed themselves, the price for the mechanism was £110+ vat so the garage said, to give you a guideline.
domcat38

Postby Jason88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I've got exactly this problem, it sounds stupid but where is the manual lock for the side door?!

Thanks!
Jason88
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Should be at the rear of the door
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Jason88 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks, I did try having a look but I think it's been pushed in or something

Now I know where to look it should be job done!

On an aside, I love driving an empty RWD van in the wet! 8)
Jason88
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RyanJJones » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm

I had some scary quotes for a replacement central locking mech, but you can just get the actuator from Ford - I paid about £65 IIRC. You can take off just the actuator from the lock. Bit flddly, but doable.
RyanJJones
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits