*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What to look out for on high mileage Connect?

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

What to look out for on high mileage Connect?

Postby williamB » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi, I'm currently on the lookout for a LWB hitop 90ps LX connect. Been scouring ebay/vantrader (and this site of course) and spotted a a few but they're quite high mileage (130,000+). I was wondering, in general, how long connects go on for before major work needs to be done and is there anything specific that goes wrong? Also what sort of price would you say was reasonable for an LX 90ps with that mileage? Ideally I'd like a lower mileage model but I'm trying to keep the cost down.

williamB

Re: What to look out for on high mileage Connect?

Postby SirKit Breaker » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I would just look for the usual stuff like a good service history, general all round condition, no excessive body damage. The engines fitted are good solid lumps and will stand the miles no bother, but maintenance is essential just like any other vehicle. It shouldnt make any strange noises, no excessive smoke of any colour, a bit of black smoke on start up is normal, and also if you rev it hard.
If its clean and tidy, shows signs that it has been well looked after, and a good history then it should be a good buy. At 130000 you need to be checking that the engine belts have been replaced as well. I cant really advise on prices, they seem to be all over the place depending on where you live.

There are some members on here with starship mileages and no trouble.

Be choosy, there are lots of Connects about so make sure you get a good one.
GREAT BRITAIN LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT.
SirKit Breaker
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby vehiclesystems » Sat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi,

Mine (TDDI) is just coming up to 130k now. I have had it since it had done 19k.

Basically i have changed the oil every 15k. Every second service i changed the filters. The timing belt + alternator belt was done at 100k.

It doesn't feel any different really to when i first bought it, drives pretty much the same.

I will be changing the coolant and gearbox oil soon.

So to answer your question, get one that has been serviced and it should be fine, i'm expecting 200k out of mine before i drive it to the scrapyard lol!

Ash.
August 2005 '55' Connect TDDI.

Bought with 19000 miles on in December 2007
Now has 160000 miles on (December 2010)
vehiclesystems
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rally_chris » Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm

I bought our 55 reg T230LX TDCI off this forum about 18 months ago with 155K on the clock and it has proven very reliable. The only work I've had done in the 5K covered since purchase was to have the timing belt done and more recently replaced the LH/NS driveshaft due to a split inner boot that turned out to have a very worn joint too.

I only paid £1750 at the time and the van was not even due for its first MOT....but I doubt you'll find many deals that good at the moment! Many 'dealers' seem to offer overpriced tatty high mileage Connects for stupid money so I recommend looking for a good private sale or a van that has come off a large corporate fleet (such as BT etc) so you can be sure it has been serviced properly throughout its life.

Chris
rally_chris

Postby local nick » Sat May 01, 2010 9:52 pm

aye up. my 52 plate tddi has done 368000 miles. ive put a gearbox in and just changed the starter, She drives as well as ever. :D
local nick
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vehiclesystems » Sun May 02, 2010 8:30 am

local nick wrote:aye up. my 52 plate tddi has done 368000 miles. ive put a gearbox in and just changed the starter, She drives as well as ever. :D

Blimey!! Nice one mate, plenty of life left in mine then :lol:

How much work has the engine and box had?
August 2005 '55' Connect TDDI.

Bought with 19000 miles on in December 2007
Now has 160000 miles on (December 2010)
vehiclesystems
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yorkie1974 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:19 pm

My 52 plate TDDi connect has done 133,000 and is fine. The gearbox is noisy and stiff going into some gears on the downshift but apart from that she is sound. Does anyone know any decent tuners as it is dog slow and to be honest i was expecting more than 34-38 MPG. I had tuning boxes on all previous common rail diesels and it vastly improved MPG but not sure how it fares on a TDDi??
yorkie1974

Postby local nick » Mon May 03, 2010 8:19 pm

How much work has the engine and box had?
aye up. no work on the engine just regular servicing and a starter and another gearbox. :D
local nick
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blindasabat » Wed May 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi
My connect has done 150,000 miles and still going strong oil changed every 10,000 miles, had new cam belt at 90,000 . I fitted new front discs and pads thats the norm stuff. Ford were the cheapest for pads and shoes.I use it every day covering 200-300 miles. I would get the 90 bhp unit . I recently had a whistling turbo which for some reason has now stopped don't know why.My gearbox is now starting signs of rattles and the primary drive rattles a little on tick over i will get another gearbox soon and sit on the shelf ( i think that what it is) clutch still the same and i drive it fully laden with a trailer sometimes
If you can keep an eye out for one with extras air con heated screen etc there are quite a few about . Be warned depending on the type of clutch that's in it they can be expensive ie £500 touch hope this helps
blindasabat

Return to Transit Connect