*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Key programming

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Key programming

Postby albion1938 » Sun May 23, 2010 8:37 am

Hi. Recently got a 1998 190d tipper. It only has one key, black with a blue chip. The LED is in the roof. I've searched the forum, I'm now confused, as it seems that the blue chip key is for a later model! What do I have to do to get a spare key please?
Regards
Bernard
albion1938
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Key programming

Postby birdy » Sun May 23, 2010 12:37 pm

Go to a decent key cutter/locksmith . you can get a cloned key . Only need one chipped key they will read that keys code and write it onto a key that has a chip in the head of key .The cloned keys i have bought have a bigger head than standard keys because they also contain a battery .I get mine from smithfield market in Manchester on sundays and chap charges me Between £30 and £40 dependant on any other keys i want at the same time .
birdy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Sun May 23, 2010 7:10 pm

i asked about these in Timpsons (shoe repair and key cutting) shop in the high street, the muppet behind the counter gave me the old "scratch the chin Hmmmm..... they are hard to do, only some of our shops do those" then told me they were £70 each, to which i replied "shove it up yer keyhole pal" i know i can get it done much much cheaper
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby MrMPuk » Mon May 24, 2010 12:58 am

the_big_fact_hunt wrote:i asked about these in Timpsons (shoe repair and key cutting) shop in the high street, the muppet behind the counter gave me the old "scratch the chin Hmmmm..... they are hard to do, only some of our shops do those" then told me they were £70 each, to which i replied "shove it up yer keyhole pal" i know i can get it done much much cheaper

That's why you need an auto-locksmith not shoe repairer/engraver/key cutter.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby M3Stig » Mon May 24, 2010 9:16 pm

got my key off ebay, got them to cut it, just pulled the old chip out and put it into the new key, works fine for me 8)
M3Stig
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby birdy » Mon May 24, 2010 9:38 pm

http://www.theautolocksmith.co.uk/Auto- ... areas.html These people come to you and say you only need one key London and surrounding areas.

http://www.theautolocksmith.co.uk/Ford-car-keys.html This link explains about Ford transponder keys.
birdy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Tue May 25, 2010 9:03 pm

MrMPuk wrote:
the_big_fact_hunt wrote:i asked about these in Timpsons (shoe repair and key cutting) shop in the high street, the muppet behind the counter gave me the old "scratch the chin Hmmmm..... they are hard to do, only some of our shops do those" then told me they were £70 each, to which i replied "shove it up yer keyhole pal" i know i can get it done much much cheaper

That's why you need an auto-locksmith not shoe repairer/engraver/key cutter.

didnt expect much sense from them, i just asked as i was passing

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby lockteam007 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi there just to say about key programming as this is what i do for a living, recently just joined the forum, i shall be attending transit mania 2010 with my stall, and i can cut and clone ford chipped keys, red and blue chips, they are cloned to another chip so the keys have the same shape and size head as an original ford key (and therefore no use for a battery key as these can go flat and lose there memory if battery is not changed in time) i charge £27.50 for a red key and £45.00 for a blue key i also keep keys for transit mk1 mk2 mk3 mk4 hope this answers some questions many thanks luke lockteam007
lockteam007

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 pm

would be worth mentioning where you are for those not going to Transitmania, probably plenty of local members

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby lockteam007 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 pm

the_big_fact_hunt wrote:would be worth mentioning where you are for those not going to Transitmania, probably plenty of local members

thanks mate i'm based in near wisbech cambridgeshire, but offer mobile service if people have lost keys etc, i also attend spalding market lincolnshire every tues and saturday, but we also do quite a bit where people post keys via special delivery and we cut and program and return same day via special delivery, also i can make keys to locks if people have no key and also re build locks to suit exsisting keys if for instance replaced a door lock as it is worn out and you dont want different keys my tel no is 07950 392 544 which is my business mobile no any questions or advice please call, cheers luke
lockteam007

Postby birdy » Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Sounds good but i think you need to give a hearty discount to forum members ,
birdy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby albion1938 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Thanks for your advice fellers! Lockteam 007, PM sent.
Bernard
albion1938
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby umedc » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:55 pm

M3Stig wrote:got my key off ebay, got them to cut it, just pulled the old chip out and put it into the new key, works fine for me 8)

will this work on mine 1999 modle
umedc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits