*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

need info on oil change

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

need info on oil change

Postby kernowgamer » Thu May 27, 2010 12:51 am

Please could someone help me (sorry bit of a noob question :oops: ). Need a bit of advice on how to do an oil and filter change. I get the general idea about undoing the sump bolt letting old oil out and changing filter but is there any way i can clean the inside to get all the yucky old oil out before i put fresh in. Also whats the best oil to use . Thanks guys
kernowgamer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: need info on oil change

Postby simplyshaker » Thu May 27, 2010 6:19 pm

There are some things that exist to clean the engine out but I've never used them. Just make sure the oil is warm when you drain it out.
If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly
simplyshaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby darkbluevanman » Thu May 27, 2010 6:37 pm

And make sure you put the sump plug back in before you fill with new oil!!!.... even a season user like me forget to do that as some old boy was gassing in my lug while I was servicing my van, rather dryly he said 'should that oil be coming back out of the bottom'.... No it shouldn't :evil:
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby kernowgamer » Thu May 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Cheers for the info guys. Looks like i know what im doing on bank holiday monday then.
kernowgamer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Alfie Tyler » Fri May 28, 2010 1:49 am

Do yourself a favour and buy a new sump plug from the factors before you start. The old one is made from cheese. I say before as then you won't be tempted to put the old rounded one back in and have to weld a bar to it in six months time. :oops:
Alfie Tyler
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby TheSaint_Norway » Fri May 28, 2010 4:06 am

simplyshaker wrote:There are some things that exist to clean the engine out but I've never used them. Just make sure the oil is warm when you drain it out.

I do the same thing. Just remember that the oil is worm! I have gotten burn a feve times. The best oil for your engine depends on youre driving conditions. Mostly hot or cold weather? Or a mix? You will also need a thicker oil if youre engine is old and worn. Do you have diesel or petrol engine? Synthetic oil is the best oil. But a waste of money if youre engine leaks... Du you haul hevy loads or drive mostly empty van? My preffered brands are Valvoline and Castrol. But most oil today have good quality. :D
Don`t laugh. Your daughter is in my back seat...
TheSaint_Norway
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby doughythevanman » Fri May 28, 2010 9:43 am

There are many oils to choose from and depending on the age, mileage of your van i would say go down the semi synthetic route. DO NOT be temted to use an engine flush as i promise you they are more hassle than they are worth!! :evil: Most of them just loosen the gunk in the engine that has built up and leaves it free to run around the engine knacking everything else up!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
I empty half the oil out and top up with cheap oil back to the top marker, leave it running for 5 mins, after giving it 10 mins to cool empty the lot out, change the filter ensuring you put the GOOD oil inside the new one, refit sump plug and top up with good oil! Then i usually get the oil to required level and add a bottle of slick 50 engine treatment as it really does help! Fill the tank with diesel, empty the bottle of fuel treatment that comes in the slick 50 pack and hey presto.... Marc and his van are happy bunnies!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D :D
P reg SWB Semi high top
S reg LWB 190 Semi high top
Range Rover TD6
Volvo S80 D5
doughythevanman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby kernowgamer » Sat May 29, 2010 12:16 am

wow what a wealth of knowledge cheers guys. Good job i didnt listen to the nosey bugger down the road about sump cleaning stuff. My van is a s reg 120 standard 2.5 di 122,229 on the clock. I use the van in alsorts of conditions sometimes fully loaded sometimes nothing in it someimes half loaded. What grade oil is best for my van. I like the idea of using cheap fresh oil to clean the inside then empty and refresh with good stuff and new filter nice one :D . Does the sump plug get knackered when you remove it then will have to have trip down local factors on tuesday then so oil change for me on monday.
kernowgamer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby TheSaint_Norway » Sat May 29, 2010 10:25 pm

kernowgamer wrote:wow what a wealth of knowledge cheers guys. Good job i didnt listen to the nosey bugger down the road about sump cleaning stuff. My van is a s reg 120 standard 2.5 di 122,229 on the clock. I use the van in alsorts of conditions sometimes fully loaded sometimes nothing in it someimes half loaded. What grade oil is best for my van. I like the idea of using cheap fresh oil to clean the inside then empty and refresh with good stuff and new filter nice one :D . Does the sump plug get knackered when you remove it then will have to have trip down local factors on tuesday then so oil change for me on monday.

Then I would go for 10w-40. It wil be good to about -15 °C and freezes at -33 °C. If you drive in extreeme weather -25 °C or more go for 5w-40. It will be good to about -30 °C and freezes at -48 °C. If it gets colder then -45 °C don`t stop youre engine! :wink: Semi synthetic oil will be good enougth for youre engine. But synthetic oil is a little better. So if you haul hevy loads in extrem cold weathe go for synthitic. But dont realy think you will need it in GB. Using cheap fresh oil to clean the inside of youre engine is a good idea! And if you change youre sump plug. You are shure of youre engine will not leak. Good luck. :D
TheSaint_Norway
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Sat May 29, 2010 10:28 pm

5w30 semi-synthetic.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby p.o.w van » Sun May 30, 2010 12:41 pm

sorry to hi-jack the thread,im really glad i read this im going to be servicing me van shortly and was going to use engine flush but now wont be,ive also got some redex oil treatment stuff that i was going to put in,what are your thoughts on this.
many thanks
p.o.w van
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby darkbluevanman » Sun May 30, 2010 3:32 pm

I believe these flushing additive merely thin the oil down prior to draining, they don't have the power to remove sludge from components, some people add a pint of diesel to the oil prior to draining, again all this is doing is thinning the oil, prior to dropping the oil just run up to normal temp and service regular (every 6K!)... at the end of the day oil's oil, practically anything will do, cheapest semi 10w40 usually is more than adequate for this motor.
darkbluevanman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby TheSaint_Norway » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:01 pm

darkbluevanman wrote:I believe these flushing additive merely thin the oil down prior to draining, they don't have the power to remove sludge from components, some people add a pint of diesel to the oil prior to draining, again all this is doing is thinning the oil, prior to dropping the oil just run up to normal temp and service regular (every 6K!)... at the end of the day oil's oil, practically anything will do, cheapest semi 10w40 usually is more than adequate for this motor.

We did some tests off flushing additive at my work. And found out that most flushing addetive`s are more or less useless. (There were a wery fewe exceptions. But I realy think they could be harmfull for youre engine too.) We actualy broke one engine with addetives inn it. We also did some test off different types off oil and oil addetives. By putting to metall pices in a lathe. And let them rub eatchother for a fewe houers under pressure. And we found out that some engine protective additives actually worked. There was aloso a slight difference in how good the oil was. And a fewe realy bad ones... :( But unless you drive under extreeme conditions most oil will be good. And if you compare the price difference between cheep oil and expencive oil. It`s not worth the price difference.
TheSaint_Norway
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby kernowgamer » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Cheers guys what a wealth of knowledge we have on this site big shout goes out to everyone on this site as with out each others help we wouldnt learn a thing a would keep breaking our transits :cry: . Serious though thanks for the advice i know what to do, how to do it and with what. I have agander underneath and i reakon the garage i bought it from last october did an oil change as it seems to be leaking from the sump plug.
kernowgamer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the_big_fact_hunt » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:56 pm

speaking of oil..... asda had their own brand oil at £14 for 5 litres, or 3x 2 litre bottles for £10 which works out much better
Solve the World food problem.......... Feed the homeless to the hungry

2012 115T350
the_big_fact_hunt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits