*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 6 Gearbox oil change

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 6 Gearbox oil change

Postby danrover » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi
I have just bought a 2004 transit 2.4 chassis cab and would like to change the gearbox oil. Could anyone tell me the correct procedure? Also very occasionally it can be a struggle to change gear, it feels like the clutch isnt diengaging properly. Ive changed the master cylinder for a new one but its made no difference. Any help would be great.
danrover

Re: Mk 6 Gearbox oil change

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:57 am

for the gearbox oil if its FWD then its a sealed unit and theres no drain plug and you have to remove the gearbox to drain it or if it RWD the drain is on the underside and use a new washer then fill it up on level ground at the side filler hole until its level with the filler hole then take it for a spin and re check the level
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby danrover » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks for that. My gearbox seems to have the drain plug right at the back of the gearbox on the passenger side near the output flange and a level plug is just above that, they appear to be the only plugs on the gearbox, by the way its a RWD 5 speed box.
danrover

Postby skenk » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 am

Check the slave cylinder as well for the clutch issue
Mk6 2003 2.3 LPG/Petrol SWB MR workhorse with tweaks
Mk5 1999, died of rot RIP 2009
skenk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby danrover » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi all
Changed the oil in the gearbox today, is it supposed to be so hard to get the oil in? And i thought land rover were bad at designing stuff! Not had chance to look at the slave cylinder yet, its only a very infrequent fault so will probably wait and see if it gets worse. Thanks for your help
danrover

Postby Mikey B » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Brains Mk6 transit wrote:for the gearbox oil if its FWD then its a sealed unit and theres no drain plug and you have to remove the gearbox to drain it or if it RWD the drain is on the underside and use a new washer then fill it up on level ground at the side filler hole until its level with the filler hole then take it for a spin and re check the level

Thats not true, there is a drain plug on these down by the mounting that comes from the subframe.
MKB Autos All makes and models catered for.
Mikey B
Ford Technician

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:08 pm

Mikey B wrote:
Brains Mk6 transit wrote:for the gearbox oil if its FWD then its a sealed unit and theres no drain plug and you have to remove the gearbox to drain it or if it RWD the drain is on the underside and use a new washer then fill it up on level ground at the side filler hole until its level with the filler hole then take it for a spin and re check the level

Thats not true, there is a drain plug on these down by the mounting that comes from the subframe.

i should of said the VXT-75 has no drain plug as stated in the manual.
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits