*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

removing maf sensor

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

removing maf sensor

Postby furnitureman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

56 140ps 2.4 jumbo

Hi all whilst i am waiting to get my van down to my garage for its new turbo (if the seller stupms up) i thought i would clean all the oil etc out of the intercooler and pipes i cannot get the silver metal housing that is fittet to the inlet manifold off as a second smaller pipe comes of it and down to the back of the engine any ideas as from what i can see its well gunked up i also want to remove the inlet manifold to clean as so much oil was blown through when the turbo gave up, it looks like its all full of soot and oil :D
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: removing maf sensor

Postby KH_Towbars » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:42 pm

the silver metal housing would be the egr valve, the metal pipe that goes down back of engine comes from exhaust manifold and I would blank it off so you get no exhaust gasses going back into engine (blanking plate) which can easily be made or bought. this will give you better fuel consumption :D
The inlet manifold - take off & give a good clean/de-grease as it will be full of crap and you will notice the difference once cleaned
if unsure do a search on blanking egr.
there is no mass air flow sensor as i know of only the mass actual pressure (map) sensor located in side of intercooler which i would also clean with electrical spray of somekind,
let me know how you go on as I have done all this with my much loved transit :)
2016 CUSTOM LIMITED LWB Shadow Black
2010 VW CADDY MAXI 1.6TDi
SOLD VW T5 102 SWB
R.I.P MK6 FWD 2.0TDDI Duratorq, EGR mod, K&N air filter, 16"alloys
KH_Towbars
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Victer van man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:06 pm

Conflicting advice here...... I also got a 140ps jumbo, the map sensor is the small square box thing bolted to the silver pipe between intercooler pipe and manifold held in with a 7mm bolt..... as said clean with electrical contact cleaner or alcohol based cleaner
I use carb cleaner.
As for blocking EGR valve...... I did mine approx 150,000 miles ago. Van runs alot smoother and cleaner, only get a fine oil reside on MAP sensor instead of the thick crud, also better mpg, mines had a remap but still gives 36mpg so you should be able to get 32/33.
The only problem you get with blanking EGR it throws the MIL light up. Not been able to sus out how to confuse management
system so light goes out........... If you can live with it on its worth doing.
[b]Jumbo driver's go the distance[/b
Victer van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby furnitureman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks for the info my inlet manifold is currenty soaking in thinners to soften the thick layer of crud inside it the silver pipe with map sensor is also full of crud so this will be cleaned tommorrow if i can get the damed thing out, also removed the egr in contrast it is relativly clean and free from crud so it looks like a recent replacement, have you had any problems since blanking of the egr, i got 30mpg on a run from preston to leicester sitting at 80 how does this compare, who did your remap how much extra power did you get and has it been worth it.
MK7 2006, 2.4 tdci, 140ps + TUNIT box = 165ps jumbo rwd known as "Big Blue" to the kids.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KH_Towbars » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Haa, you must have the mk7 56 plate so will be different engine setup and dont think you can blank the mk7 egr without the light on yet as said, sory for confusion :)
2016 CUSTOM LIMITED LWB Shadow Black
2010 VW CADDY MAXI 1.6TDi
SOLD VW T5 102 SWB
R.I.P MK6 FWD 2.0TDDI Duratorq, EGR mod, K&N air filter, 16"alloys
KH_Towbars
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MrMPuk » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 pm

KH_Towbars wrote:Haa, you must have the mk7 56 plate so will be different engine setup and dont think you can blank the mk7 egr without the light on yet as said, sory for confusion :)

There was never a Mk6 140 so a bit of a give away.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby furnitureman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:41 pm

got the damed thing off completely full of crud had to clean out all the sensor and scrape out the inside of the metal tube, so now everything is very clean just waiting for the turbo to be fitted and hopefully i can get stuck into sorting the crew cab area out, can anyone point me in the direction of a steel box section seller near hinckley.
furnitureman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits